Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have the Infinity Kappa 4" speakers in my 2006 SRTC and I have had them for about 7 months or so. This has been happening for about a month, and within that month I actually upgraded to the new factory Kicker amp. I GOT THE SAME ISSUE BELOW WITH THE OLD AMP and the NEW ONE TOO! So its not the amp.

I have removed the speaker and the wires are attached fine, with none moving around, or loose.

Ok here is the what I am geting ONLY from the front right dash speaker. I am driving with SIRIUS RADIO playing and I get all kinds of static (sounds like a blown speaker) once in a while ONLY FROM THE RIGHT dash front speaker. Now, I switch to the CD player (stock CD player) or the IPOD adapter (Mopar adapter) and that speaker does not have the same blown sound at all, and it sounds fine BUT, that speaker will cut in and out randomly.

The speaker plays fine in CD and IPOD mode (but it does cut on and off) but in SIRIUS mode scratchy like a blown speaker and it also cuts in and out). Again none of the other speakers have any issues like this, and the amp was upgraded and replaced with another factory amp and this was happening before the change, and after.

If anyone can help I wouold appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
does this happen at all volume levels or just a specific value? Try
listening a different volumes and record how it behaves.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens at all volumes, but the scratching is ONLY when I listen to Sirius

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well if you replaced the AMP and it's still doing it and it gives you some sort of problem regardless of the source, than I would think it's the speaker. Since you have an amp, you should try hooking up a speaker that you know is good directly to the amp and see how it behaves. Atleast you can start to narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Sounds like a bad solder joint in the speaker cone where the coil wire transitions to the flexible wire between the cone and the external electrical plug-in socket. A quick touch of hot solder should fix it. Don't fry the cone!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Swap 'em

Swap the two front speakers around, and see if you still have the issue. If not, then it is the speaker, if so, then it is the circuit.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the speaker out last night, whatever I did seamed to fix it? I only drove about 40 miles today and it didnt mess up at all. I tried FM, Sirius, ipod, and CD and no scratching and no fading out.

I only drove 40 miles I will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
you may have had some dust or other contaminant down in the cone
near the voice coil.

One with a pair of Quart coaxes, I had finished installation in the rear deck of
my grand prix. Turned on the system to do a sound check and first
sound was like dragging the needle across a record. Quickly turned
the system off, said a few choice words, took the speaker out,
inspected it, found no rubbing, but find small piece of trash falling out
when I turned it over. Put it back in, no more noise, worked great
until I traded the car back in years later.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think one other theory given by DESIREE may be applicable, but the
case where the tinsel lead is rubbing the cone.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that could have been it, there was a lil trimming from the dash in there...

The leads were not soldered, could have been sounding weird from that too.

No more scratching, and no more cutting in and out!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem! It's been driving me nuts for months! I'll take out the right front speaker and check to see if there's anything in the cone.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yeh, I don't think I'm inclined enough to take out the whole dash to get to the speaker, any advice? Besides the dealer?
you don't have to take the dash out. Did you search? Basically you need
something thin like a credit card to get the speaker out.

Slide the credit card or really thin putty knife or other under the grille and
lift....it's that easy. There are 2 screws holding the speaker. Use a
short phillips screwdriver and voila! you can lift the speaker out. Unplug
the speaker wire harness and your are done.

Reverse the whole process to put it back.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
After checking the connections, cleaning out the dust and still having the same problem, I went to the dealer today and they told me that the right front speaker has to be replaced because of something internal in the speaker. It's on order

1 - 15 of 15 Posts