Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sucks and now I am lost. I am trying to figure out where I am going to get the power from for my Plasma LED lights. My thought was to run them off the 87A circuit for the Fogs (Would this even work?) I figured while the fogs were off, relay to 87A spot, it would power the lights. Then when the fogs turned on they DRL's would shut off.

Sounds easy right? So I pulled out the Owners manual and guess what, Relay's are not listed. I need relay 9 and 16-22 for a 2008. I can not find that list anywhere! I checked the sticky and even printed out the diagram, which looks nothing like my fuse box either. I don't have empty spots in my box, there is a cover and only spots for whats being used.

Can anyone help a fellow out? If this wont work, I guess I could just power them to Hot in Run or something? I was trying to leave out a manual switch so I didn't have to go buy wire and a switch and mount it somewhere having to drill a hole, also I wouldn't have to remember to switch them on everytime.

I also tried this, I turned the key to run, turned on the lights and pulled all the relays, none of them turned the lights off?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I gave up on find the relay and using it. Ill do one better, make my own circuit!

I will put the relay right inline with the power to the fogs (just one side) Circuit 85 & 86.

Then I will run a Hot in Run wire from 30 to 87A. Which will fire up in Run, while fogs are off.

Should work well right? What do I do with 87? Do I just leave it or should I ground it somewhere?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
OK, I gave up on find the relay and using it. Ill do one better, make my own circuit!

I will put the relay right inline with the power to the fogs (just one side) Circuit 85 & 86.

Then I will run a Hot in Run wire from 30 to 87A. Which will fire up in Run, while fogs are off.

Should work well right? What do I do with 87? Do I just leave it or should I ground it somewhere?
As long as you have a HOT at 30 you want to leave 87 OPEN. If you put it to ground it will cause a dead short, we don't want that. Remember the purpose of a relay is to have a small voltage source to control a large voltage source. Also go with a 12 volt relay not a 24, the 12 volts is across the coil. The source for 30 should be the battery or alternator if those lights have a big draw on current. I hope this helps also use a good relay like a BOSCH..:)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks for your reply! I gave it a go and just taped the wires together for a test run. And I am very confused. In theory it should work, and it tried....here are my results

I hooked 85 and 86 up to the power wire on the driver side foglight in series.
I then hooked up 30 to 12V battery terminal under hood to test it out.
Hooked up 87A to LED light power, and grounding them temporarily.

The fogs turned on, except the driver side (one I tapped into) Although at the plug it read 11.8V The passenger side read 12.3V. The Pass light turned on, the driver side would not. I even took it apart and tried again, same result. Lights off, no plug has any power. I could also hear the relay clicking.

Ok funny part, with fogs on and power to 87A from 30, the LED would turn on. Ok, must have connected them up wrong. So I switch to 87, lights still only turn on when Fogs are on.????

Fogs off, I can not get LED to turn on, although it is using a completely separate power source. What bugged me enough to quit is I couldn't get the DRIVER fog to come on, the small voltage drop must have been enough to kill it.

So I gave up, guess I will do the switch method and deal with it. Or just find a hot in run and leave them on ALL the time.

About $20 wasted on relay, socket and a fuse. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well went back to the parts store, since they told me their electrical engineer would be there this evening.

Found out I had gotten the wrong relay, So now I am going to try again. Still doesn't explain why the Driver side wouldn't power on.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sodak. Actually I got it figured out!

I got the new relay and tried to get fog light power from main connector coming into the harness. Then both lights wouldn't power up. So I said ok, I still have 12V at the plugs even though they are not turning on. So I spliced that back together and went down to my previous spot. Wired it up in series again. IDK it doesn't work, but it doesn't. I didn't figure it out until I put a jumper in. Then of course with the jumper the relay was always powered. So I ended up using the Fog light power to pin 86 and pin 85 is its own ground. The leds have their own ground, 87 goes to power for leds and 87a is empty. 30 will get hooked up to a hot with key on tomorrow after I meet up with COLX and get some help finding one.

I have tested it very well (I got almost 12 hours on this today!) Everything works as I want it to, once I get the LED power hooked up I will put up a video of how it works.

I am DAMN!!! pleased!

Reactions: Sodak and JMitch

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just powered mine off of the marker lights. I pulled the wires out of the plastic connector opened up the metal piece on the wire attached the +/- wires and reinserted the wires into the plastic connector. My lights are on any time the parking lights or head lights area on regardless of having the fog lights on or off witch are still controlled by the original switch and can be turned on or off like normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts