Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the K&N CAI and my car won't start. I am not a car expert, but I am pretty sure I did everything right. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW - The battery is fine and I have tried resetting the battery cable, still nothing.

Also - When I first completed the install, my car started for about 3 seconds then it shut off. After I disconnected then reconnected the battery cables, I get nothing.

Also - I already tried re-seating the air temp sensor.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
glenn, do you get any lights or anything? Try to follow this procedure to see if you can even check for trouble codes and post your findings

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEMEEE said:
glenn, do you get any lights or anything? Try to follow this procedure to see if you can even check for trouble codes and post your findings
Thanks HEMEEE, but I may have found my problem...and I'm pissed. I found out that my key was not unlocking my doors or trunk, so I did a little research and I am now getting the little red light on the dash that indicates a 'bad key'. I called my dealer and they told me that the car/key will need to be reprogrammed after the battery cables have been disconnected. I am so pissed if that is the case...that is ridiculous. So....if my battery dies and I get a jump, my car won't start??! WTF?

Anyway - The wife is coming home with the other key...we will see what happens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
glenn4dde said:
BTW - The battery is fine and I have tried resetting the battery cable, still nothing.

Also - When I first completed the install, my car started for about 3 seconds then it shut off. After I disconnected then reconnected the battery cables, I get nothing.

Also - I already tried re-seating the air temp sensor.
Could it be a disconnected/broken wire or harness? such as the O2 sensor or Air temp sensor?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel like crying. This is truly unbelievable. My wife's key isn't working either. I have never witnessed anything so ridiculous in my life. What a wonderful 'feature'. Now I'm screwed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
glenn4dde said:
Thanks HEMEEE, but I may have found my problem...and I'm pissed. I found out that my key was not unlocking my doors or trunk, so I did a little research and I am now getting the little red light on the dash that indicates a 'bad key'. I called my dealer and they told me that the car/key will need to be reprogrammed after the battery cables have been disconnected. I am so pissed if that is the case...that is ridiculous. So....if my battery dies and I get a jump, my car won't start??! WTF?

Anyway - The wife is coming home with the other key...we will see what happens.

Having the dealer reprogram the key/car may not be necessary. You may me able to do it at home. Maybe someone with access to the Service Manual can help? I've own GM cars in the past. with the Pass Key III system. One dealer may charge you $60 for a new key then tell you it takes 30 mins to program and charge you an extra $90.

It may be as simply as sticking the key in the ignition and following a combination of steps to re-program the key to the car.

Just my past experience, I may be wrong.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
According to the Svc. Manual, the ScanTool is required to reprogram our keys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HEMEEE said:
According to the Svc. Manual, the ScanTool is required to reprogram our keys.
Hope you saved that zip-lock bag with the bar codes when you got the car. I have a gut feeling you will need it when you take the keys to be reprogrammed then.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
glenn, before you do anything else, retrace your steps in the K&N install and be certain you have not pinched any wires or knocked any harnesses loose somewhere along the line... best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Hope you saved that zip-lock bag with the bar codes when you got the car. I have a gut feeling you will need it when you take the keys to be reprogrammed then.
Huh??? I didn't get these, was I supposed to?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Before any of you disconnect your battery you should get a 9 volt battery to plug in to your 12 volt outlet. That will keep your memory alive . I have never disconnected my battery but I did have my anti-theft malfunction and I could not start my car . They had to replace the unit and new keys and the red light on the dash was blinking to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of you for your advice...unfortunately, my car is being towed in about 10 minutes. I know what happened, but I am still not clear as to why it happened.

Every service person I spoke with basically said 'disconnecting the battery cables could cause your keys to need re-programming. But no one really told me that for sure. If this is a normal thing that is suppose to happen, please tell me. Otherwise, it just sounds like something malfunctioned, therefore, I shouldn't have to pay anything. Make sense?

·
Registered
41 Posts
glenn4dde said:
Thanks to all of you for your advice...unfortunately, my car is being towed in about 10 minutes. I know what happened, but I am still not clear as to why it happened.

Every service person I spoke with basically said 'disconnecting the battery cables could cause your keys to need re-programming. But no one really told me that for sure. If this is a normal thing that is suppose to happen, please tell me. Otherwise, it just sounds like something malfunctioned, therefore, I shouldn't have to pay anything. Make sense?

When I bought my car, the keys came in a zip lock bag with a couple of bar codes on it. I was told to "Never ever lose that bag" in the event I lose my keys. Apparently the bars codes on this bag provides the dealer with info to program new keys should it be necessary. Otherwise, the car would have to be brought in and that would be expensive.

Did anyone else get this from thier dealer?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Intake/Reprogram?

shiva_va said:
When I bought my car, the keys came in a zip lock bag with a couple of bar codes on it. I was told to "Never ever lose that bag" in the event I lose my keys. Apparently the bars codes on this bag provides the dealer with info to program new keys should it be necessary. Otherwise, the car would have to be brought in and that would be expensive.

Did anyone else get this from thier dealer?
NO ziplock w/barcodes here.
When I installed my "MOPAR INTAKE" battery was disconnected for about 45 min. with not one problem, no reprogramming a thing.
Is this because I have an 2006?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
the "barcodes" in the ziplock bag merely tell the dealer or a locksmith the code to CUT a new key; they can get this same info from your vin number. Once a new key is cut, it would STILL have to be programmed, and for that they need both keys and the car; the dealer's scan tool has to be hooked to it but it only takes a minute or two.

The "memory saver" mentioned above is a good idea; basically it's a little device that plugs into your cigarette lighter (actually use the power outlet in the console since it's powered all the time) - - a 9v battery attatches to it and give the computer enough power to retain it's memory if you disconnect the battery. Napa part number 782-1609.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unplugging the battery definitly will not erase the key codes. The "RAM" key memory is held within the SKIM module. Sound like a bus communication problem. SKIM module cannot broadcast message to allow starting. Take to your dealer, May be simply a bad module.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts