Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m on my way to work this late afternoon and the temp. with the windchill is close to minus 40 celsius and that is just about equal to farenheit, and I noticed my steering wheel shaking violently, I pulled over and checked my tires for a possible flat but they looked OK. I did not have a tire guage but I am running the Contis with the self seal. Anyone else experience this? I have not hit a curb or anything else for that matter.
I tried to contact my service dept and of course they are closed so will have to do something in the morning just thought I might check if someone else possibly may have had a similar problem. :mad:

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Mike, if it were tire pressure, you'd see a soft tire visually to cause violent shaking. Arnold's post is probably the cause. At what speed did this happen?

Did it shake when you went slow? If it shook at slow speeds, I would not drive it. At that temp, something could break.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Northern Rider said:
Mike, if it were tire pressure, you'd see a soft tire visually to cause violent shaking. Arnold's post is probably the cause. At what speed did this happen?

Did it shake when you went slow? If it shook at slow speeds, I would not drive it. At that temp, something could break.
It seemed that it was evident when I was at speeds of 60-70 KMH. I don't think it was doing it at lower speeds.

We have been having bitterly cold temps the last few days and a fair bit of snow is on the ground but the roads are now either bare or snow, ice covered.I haven't checked for ice or snow buildup in my wheel wells but my son is good at that as he does not want water in his (my) garage.

I get off work at 2.00 AM and will take my time going home, very little traffic at that time of the morning and I will have to take it in. Thxs folks. :confused:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A funny but true story, a number of years ago we had a police inspector in my platoon who liked to go jogging at lunch time in all kinds of weather, well one day he came back and about an hour later they had to take him to hospital with frostbite and I will leave it to your imagination where it was frozen!!!! The next day a message was on the Crimestoppers phone line about a person seen jogging the day before, exposing himself. He of course denied it was him and the person could not be contacted. He retired a short time later. I've got a million of them. :D

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
I"m on my way to work this late afternoon and the temp. with the windchill is close to minus 40 celsius and that is just about equal to farenheit, and I noticed my steering wheel shaking violently, I pulled over and checked my tires for a possible flat but they looked OK. I did not have a tire guage but I am running the Contis with the self seal. Anyone else experience this? I have not hit a curb or anything else for that matter.
I tried to contact my service dept and of course they are closed so will have to do something in the morning just thought I might check if someone else possibly may have had a similar problem. :mad:
Mike, what was the outcome of your -40 degrees vibration problem?
Hope all is well.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Northern Rider said:
Mike, what was the outcome of your -40 degrees vibration problem?
Hope all is well.

Patrick
I have an appointment first thing Monday morning. I could not get in any earlier. I'm just keeping my speed down for now. It really vibrates at 80 Kmh.
I don't put many Kms on my car, as a matter of fact I just turned 4200 Kms and I've had the car since June 26. Sad isn't it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Last Winter, I spun out on the highway due to ice/snow. No big deal except my car started to shake violently too. I figured it was either snow jammed into the wheel or I lost a wheel balancing weight. When I came out after work later in the day, the car drove fine (warmer temperatures). My friend who lives in Minnesota has this occur often from routine driving until the wheel eventually throws the ice off. It's not something to easily visualize in the wheel either. Warm the car up in a heated garage (I'm sure these can be found in Canada) and I'll bet your problem will resolve. Since this might be the cause and it's not a car defect, your dealer could charge you a diagnostic fee for the labor spent to discover the problem. Many people are charged for diagnosing "check engine light" because the culprit is not putting the gas cap on tight enough - not a defect in the car (not specifically Chrysler dealers either).

·
Registered
1 Posts
The cold temperatures might have something to do with it.

Here is another possibility due to cold weather. While researching tires for my 300M (my current vehicle is a 300M, I'm waiting for delivery on an AWD 300C), I found several people that referred to this type of concern with Continental tires. What it was believed to be was flatspotting of the tires. This would occur if the car sat out in the cold for a period of time & was then driven. The concern would resolve itself, over time, as the tires warmed up & rotated while driving.

I believe that the Continental tires use nylon re-enforcement plies (instead of steelwire). I think they might do this for noise reduction. However, one of the trade-offs for the noise reduction might have been this type of concern in cold weather.

I don't know if this will help you or not. But, hopefully, it isn't something more serious than this.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
The Contis definitely flat spot at -15 celcius and below. They have been the worst for doing this of any tire I have ever run, except for the old bias plys. It's like driving with square tires, until they warm up.

I now have Pirelli Scorpion ice and snows on. I have not noticed any flat spottting at cold temperatures.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tires

The weather was a bit better to-day than it has been , but I had to take a short trip this afternoon and it is still doing it. My car is garaged but I don't keep heat on unless we are working in there, but it is well insulated, so I don't believe this is the problem. There may be something to self seal stuff in the tires as I have never had that before.
If it is the tires, then I will be putting in a complaint with DC, as we should not expect to have this problem when the weather gets cold.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mikeyjohn said:
The weather was a bit better to-day than it has been , but I had to take a short trip this afternoon and it is still doing it. My car is garaged but I don't keep heat on unless we are working in there, but it is well insulated, so I don't believe this is the problem. There may be something to self seal stuff in the tires as I have never had that before.
If it is the tires, then I will be putting in a complaint with DC, as we should not expect to have this problem when the weather gets cold.
I took my car in first thing this morning, and the service writer brought out about a 2-3 pound blob of self sealant to show me. It was taken out of my right rear tire.
Apparently there is a self seal bladder that is put inside the tire and is heated to the inside bottom of the tire and I guess mine let go and it formed a ball about three times the size of a softball and caused my car shimmy at certain speeds.

I then find out that Ford and GM in Canada warranty their tires but DC does not, so we had to contact the local supplier of Contis who stated that this was DC's problem, so I was getting hot under the collar and so was the service manager of the dealership. We contacted Conti direct and they set them straight. I will have my new tire installed on Wed., only because I am off that day.

The service manager had never heard of this problem before, but suggests that if any one else has this problem, then we as a group should get in touch with DC and have a TSB put out and maybe we can get these tires changed. I tried to get all four changed but I sure wasn't going to win that war. If any of the moderators want to move this thread to the tire one, please feel free.

By the way, out temp to-day is way above normal and I saw people wearing shorts this morning. The roads will sure get sloppy!!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
By the way, out temp to-day is way above normal and I saw people wearing shorts this morning. The roads will sure get sloppy!!!!!
It's as bad as toronto. Last thursaday plus 17 Celsius (about 60 Fahr) and friday minus 20 C with the windchill...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmmmm127 said:
It's as bad as toronto. Last thursaday plus 17 Celsius (about 60 Fahr) and friday minus 20 C with the windchill...
I sent the cold weather too you!!! Your welcome by the way!!!!!!! :D

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
I took my car in first thing this morning, and the service writer brought out about a 2-3 pound blob of self sealant to show me. It was taken out of my right rear tire.
Apparently there is a self seal bladder that is put inside the tire and is heated to the inside bottom of the tire and I guess mine let go and it formed a ball about three times the size of a softball and caused my car shimmy at certain speeds.

I then find out that Ford and GM in Canada warranty their tires but DC does not, so we had to contact the local supplier of Contis who stated that this was DC's problem, so I was getting hot under the collar and so was the service manager of the dealership. We contacted Conti direct and they set them straight. I will have my new tire installed on Wed., only because I am off that day.

The service manager had never heard of this problem before, but suggests that if any one else has this problem, then we as a group should get in touch with DC and have a TSB put out and maybe we can get these tires changed. I tried to get all four changed but I sure wasn't going to win that war. If any of the moderators want to move this thread to the tire one, please feel free.

....Jeez. I hate it when my bladder lets go. :p

Seriously, all that goop inside these Contis. No wonder they feel heavy and unresponsive!!!

Glad to hear you got a new tire.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Northern Rider said:
....Jeez. I hate it when my bladder lets go. :p

Seriously, all that goop inside these Contis. No wonder they feel heavy and unresponsive!!!

Glad to hear you got a new tire.
Ya, I know what you mean about your bladder!!!

I was really surprised to see the size of this blob, now I am thinking what if I am on a highway in the middle of nowhere, what do I do and how can you tell what tire it is? I could have accepted that this was a front tire, but it blew me away to find it was a rear tire. I wonder how the car will react if it is a front tire, because the shimmy was pretty violent.

I also noticed that when I was driving home the car was pulling a bit to the right. I hope it's because the bladder is missing or has it developed THAT problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts