Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used 300C... I'd like to learn more about the Hemi engine design, and why it is able to make so much torque relative to size and HP output. I can usually understand fairly technical stuff, so I am looking for more info than "The hemi engine is good because it has hemisperical combustion chamber"..... Cut away views, info on flame propogation... i.e. good technical description.

Found a few sites, but they are all real cursory, and lacked any real detail. Figured somebody here would know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Torque of 390 is about average for an engine as big as 5.7L.
The 3.5L has 250 which means that it has 71.4/litre and the 5.7L has 390/5.7 which equals 68.4/litre which is worse.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
The Hemi engine design is more than trivial and while there are MANY Hemispherical Overhead Cam engines used, there is only one Hemi (2V Cam In Block OHV). If you look at the entire design of the modern Hemi it is very similar to the original LA and B Based engine block designs from which it gets it's lineage.

The Hemispherical design places a central (or in the new Hemi's case, a pair of centrally) located spark plugs with a smooth combustion chamber and matching piston. The design also lays the valves out at a flatter angle which allows for much larger intake passages and exhaust passages.

The engire package yeilds more volumetric efficiency than the typical Pent Roof combustion chamber typical of a small block chevy and/or ford.

Engines have come a long way since the original Hemi and the competing small blocks today are also massive powerhouses and all these engines in general are models of efficiency compared to thier vintage cousins.

Read the article that Joey posted. It's a fantastic read!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts