Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the first time today i noticed smoke at startup, has anyone else experienced this? i'm usually driving the car so i would have never seen it. my wife took the car today and I saw the smoke at starup. it stopped after 5-10 seconds. any ideas what it may be?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
sounds normal, the above questions are very germain. Gray smoke wafting into the air with the classic "burnt oil" smell like my 65 Corvair would be very unusual. Next time take a whiff, should have little to no smell, probably normal gasses, co2, h2o and a bunch of burned HCs..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Visible water vapour - No problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did not smell it, i was in another car, it appeared much "thicker"? than normal water vapor and lingered a bit more than water vapor. it was around 40 outside. but i will smell at the next startup, hopefully, normal and excessive water vapor.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have experienced this 2 times - 8k miles now. Once, was after an oil change and I added about 1/2 quart, fired it up and had some oil burn. Next time was after I had it up on ramps for a few hours in the front messing with the lower inserts - fired it up to take it down and had it again - big plume of white oil burn that immediately went away. It definately was NOT condensation, it was oil burn. Kinda puzzled me both times, but it doesn't burn any oil. I was thinking maybe there was some leakage or something throuh MDS? who knows...I'll make my notes soon with the dealer.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
5point7 said:
I have experienced this 2 times - 8k miles now. Once, was after an oil change and I added about 1/2 quart, fired it up and had some oil burn. Next time was after I had it up on ramps for a few hours in the front messing with the lower inserts - fired it up to take it down and had it again - big plume of white oil burn that immediately went away. It definately was NOT condensation, it was oil burn. Kinda puzzled me both times, but it doesn't burn any oil. I was thinking maybe there was some leakage or something throuh MDS? who knows...I'll make my notes soon with the dealer.
MDS is not operational at idle or when the engine is off, I don't think MDS is involved in this one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update -today is the first time i started the car from this past weekend, put the key in the ignition, started the car, ran to the back, saw a puff of smoke, smelled it and it was definitely a burnt smell, most liklely oil :confused:

from a distance it appears like condensation because it is fairly light and disipates quickly. with a new engine and only 6900 miles ,what could this? i want to be somewhat knowledgebale before i go the dealer.

i have an appointment this tuesday (originally for excessive tire wear on the outer edge of the front tires), we'll see what they say, now i have to see if it only happens after sitting for a while.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I have had a few engines that burn oil over the years, none new. How is your oil consumption, is the oil smell only at start up, do you smell it when you get to your destination. If only at start up there may be leakdown in the cylinder allowing oil to pool. Valve seals/guides may be the culprit. Piston rings are doubtful but possible. When "Corky" at the stealership says "uh, we don't know, we can take another whack at it if you leave it" you might suggest a compression test and cylinder leakdown test for starters. If oil smell smoke is present at all times, it should show on the dipstick as consumption.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
lgret13 said:
update -today is the first time i started the car from this past weekend, put the key in the ignition, started the car, ran to the back, saw a puff of smoke, smelled it and it was definitely a burnt smell, most liklely oil :confused:

from a distance it appears like condensation because it is fairly light and disipates quickly. with a new engine and only 6900 miles ,what could this? i want to be somewhat knowledgebale before i go the dealer.

i have an appointment this tuesday (originally for excessive tire wear on the outer edge of the front tires), we'll see what they say, now i have to see if it only happens after sitting for a while.
When was your last oil change? Check the oil level on the dipstick. If too much oil was put in, It may be "blow by oil" burning through. If that's the case, it won't harm anything and will stop when it has come down to the proper level. In Canada, our oil is in litres and the engine only takes about 6.6 litres.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Northern Rider said:
When was your last oil change? Check the oil level on the dipstick. If too much oil was put in, It may be "blow by oil" burning through. If that's the case, it won't harm anything and will syop when it has come down to the proper level. In Canada, our oil is in litres and the engine only takes about 6.6 litres.
Good points, I forgot that "common things occur commonly" and this is a strong possibility. Would not suprise me if some bozo overfilled it (say it aint you lg13) and it can be detrimental if it is way over to the point of burning it off. If it is overfilled, I would loosen the drain plug and bleed some off to the proper level immediately!!! or have the bozos who did the oil change do it (you have changed the oil have'nt you).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have them check the PCV valve if the Hemi has such a thing.
My 1996 Chrysler Sebring had the problem of slight smoke out of the tailpipe at startup. Also burnt smell and a few drops of oil dripping out. Turned out to be a stuck PCV valve, the part was about $5, plus 1 hour labor.
It started smoking after I floored the little 6 to "clear it's pipes" so to speak.
The stuck valve allows some oil into the cylinder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dealership changed the oil at 5800 hundred miles, i will check the oil level, this dealership doesn't seem to know much about this car, as i had to remind them to use 5w20, but they have done everything i ask for at the last service.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just checked the oil, 35degrees out, and car has been siting for 5.5 hours and the oil level is about 3/8-1/4" over the safe line. :eek:
I will have a few choice words with my dealership and will make sure they drain the excess.. :mad:

Thanks for the help.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
lgret13 said:
just checked the oil, 35degrees out, and car has been siting for 5.5 hours and the oil level is about 3/8-1/4" over the safe line. :eek:
I will have a few choice words with my dealership and will make sure they drain the excess.. :mad:

Thanks for the help.
Well, I guess that's good news that you know what the problem is - and bad news that the service dept can't even do an oil change correctly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Northern Rider said:
When was your last oil change? Check the oil level on the dipstick. If too much oil was put in, It may be "blow by oil" burning through. If that's the case, it won't harm anything and will stop when it has come down to the proper level. In Canada, our oil is in litres and the engine only takes about 6.6 litres.
Who needs the service department with guys like you around? I'll meet you halfway if you wanna take a gander at my car sometime. Great advice Rider and everybody else.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
lgret13 said:

Thanks for the help.
OMG, 3/8 to 1/4" on the dipstick is huge :eek: human error happens all the time, I am not perfect either but this is plain carelessness, just be glad they aren't servicing airplanes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts