Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 2007 CRD dipped headlights are too high.
When I start the engine and turn the lights on, the headlights go up and down, but seem to stop in too higher position.
Result: I am getting flashed by oncoming drivers.
Now...
Is there an easy way of disabling this automatic adjustment and then adjust the light manually?
Or, even better, is there an easy fix?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
Have a look at this thread:

I haven't experienced this problem, but it might be worth buying a copy of diagFCA for $49 to see if that can help diagnosis. One of its many features is:
  • Testing and controlling of selected actuators such as valves, relays, lighting and more

·
Registered
75 Posts
The lights do a self cal (search up and down) and then come to rest where they are adjusted. They are adjustable, so just screw the adjusting screws to bring them down. Mine is a 2007, Australian market, HID, self leveling lights.

Having said that, that wasn't the problem with mine. When I got my car, I was sick of being flashed by drivers who thought my HIDs where on hi beam. I adjusted mine....... but what mine routinely did, was while night driving, it would perform that "re cal" about once a night. Straight away other drivers think you are flashing them, flash back.

I read this forum, and the feedback was that people had taken them to the dealers/had them reset MULTIPLE times = still same. Mine STILL did the "search to the trees" EVERY night drive about once every half hour.

I don't put up with shit like that if I can fix it. You CANNOT just disconnect electrically - it will show a fault.

So what I did was I disconnected the arm that connects the sensor to the suspension arms front and back. One of them neatly bolted into a hole in the mount bracket, the other one (rear I think) I made a simple plate to hold it from moving.

Now, adjust the lights, they NEVER move except for the first "start up cal". That worked for me.

It seems to be a "thing" these days for makers to make car headlights that are overly complicated, incredibly expensive....... for very average lights.My HID's are ok, high beam is useless. I tried all the suggestions on here about different hi beam globes......... ended up putting spot lights behind the grille (which work well), as kangaroo's on freeway mean you NEED long range. The 4 old fashioned halogens on my Triumph Stag are better than the hi beam on my 2007 300C.................. and those headlights are $2500 here EACH. Ridiculous.

Anyway; the fix above worked for my "look up and down while driving". That was the only thing that did.

The three things you have to do with a 2007 300C here. Stop the lights "scanning for possums in trees", change the ridiculous "tin shell wheel nuts", and fix the plastic "park" lockout lever before it breaks (because it eventually WILL) and leaves you stranded. :)

I hope that helps, it has worked perfectly for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lights do a self cal (search up and down) and then come to rest where they are adjusted. They are adjustable, so just screw the adjusting screws to bring them down. Mine is a 2007, Australian market, HID, self leveling lights.

Having said that, that wasn't the problem with mine. When I got my car, I was sick of being flashed by drivers who thought my HIDs where on hi beam. I adjusted mine....... but what mine routinely did, was while night driving, it would perform that "re cal" about once a night. Straight away other drivers think you are flashing them, flash back.

I read this forum, and the feedback was that people had taken them to the dealers/had them reset MULTIPLE times = still same. Mine STILL did the "search to the trees" EVERY night drive about once every half hour.

I don't put up with shit like that if I can fix it. You CANNOT just disconnect electrically - it will show a fault.

So what I did was I disconnected the arm that connects the sensor to the suspension arms front and back. One of them neatly bolted into a hole in the mount bracket, the other one (rear I think) I made a simple plate to hold it from moving.

Now, adjust the lights, they NEVER move except for the first "start up cal". That worked for me.

It seems to be a "thing" these days for makers to make car headlights that are overly complicated, incredibly expensive....... for very average lights.My HID's are ok, high beam is useless. I tried all the suggestions on here about different hi beam globes......... ended up putting spot lights behind the grille (which work well), as kangaroo's on freeway mean you NEED long range. The 4 old fashioned halogens on my Triumph Stag are better than the hi beam on my 2007 300C.................. and those headlights are $2500 here EACH. Ridiculous.

Anyway; the fix above worked for my "look up and down while driving". That was the only thing that did.

The three things you have to do with a 2007 300C here. Stop the lights "scanning for possums in trees", change the ridiculous "tin shell wheel nuts", and fix the plastic "park" lockout lever before it breaks (because it eventually WILL) and leaves you stranded. :)

I hope that helps, it has worked perfectly for me.
Thanks for that. Found the adjusting screws, so will have a go over the weekend.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....
There won't be any updates for a couple of weeks. Yesterday on my way home, a large stone hit my windscreen and cracked it. 😡
Autoglass is booked to come on the 11th.
Let's hope they do a good job!

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
They did a good job on Mrs car, the glass was on order from the main dealer as they didn't have it in stock. They came to my home address and the job was completed in 45 minutes. You should be in good hands 👍

Reactions: feichter

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They did a good job on Mrs car, the glass was on order from the main dealer as they didn't have it in stock. They came to my home address and the job was completed in 45 minutes. You should be in good hands 👍
Thank you for the reassuring words! I am worried about it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, guy from well known glass replacement company turned up last Thursday.

Luckily I checked before he started work, because the windscreen he was going to fit had a blue gradient strip along the top.
I pointed out that it was not the same screen and he said that some customers prefer it. I pointed out that my car is green and a blue stripe really does not go well.

He immediately agreed, phoned the office and will now return on 18th with a new windscreen.

So,the saga continues....

Needless to say, I can't drive the car! :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Sorry to hear your in this situation, I guess there must have been different shades available as options, and I agree, blue will look a bit off given the colour of your car. Let's hope they get it right on the next trip 🙏

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, about being late in updating... (blame the Christmas rush!)

I did, eventually, get the windscreen fixed on the 18th. But had to drive to Canterbury (some 25 minutes from my home) because the screen that had arrived was cracked and they would not have been able to come to my home for another week. Anyway, they appear to have done a good job, so all is well that ends well.

Back to the original post about the dipped headlights...

Not wanting to fork out a lot of money for a 'proper' repair, I decided to adjust the headlights via the screw on top of the lights. Very easily done. I used a 9/32 (7mm should do) socket. I have only driven the car once since then and it seems to have worked very well. I am due to go out tonight again and will be driving down narrow country lanes. That will be a good test! Touch wood problem sorted.

Tire Wheel Jeans Automotive tire Hood
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Guitar accessory
Camera accessory Camera lens Door Cameras & optics Rim

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back to your original point - did you check the HID leveling arm that's attached to the offside front suspension arms? It looks similar to this: HID levelling arm
No, I didn't. I believe I would have to take the wheel off and don't have the necessary tools here. All my (limited) equipment is in the barn in France.
Which side is it and is it easy to see?

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,572 Posts
Yes it's not too bad to see. If you have a torch and turn the wheel to point outwards you should be able to see the leveling arm that clips between the upper front suspension arm (the arm numbered "1" in the picture here: Link) and the HID leveling module on the drivers side (assuming you have a RHD car) front. It should be connected at both ends. They break and come off usually at one end so the self-leveling on the headlights doesn't work properly

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it's not too bad to see. If you have a torch and turn the wheel to point outwards you should be able to see the leveling arm that clips between the upper front suspension arm (the arm numbered "1" in the picture here: Link) and the HID leveling module on the drivers side (assuming you have a RHD car) front. It should be connected at both ends. They break and come off usually at one end so the self-leveling on the headlights doesn't work properly
Thank you so much!!! Will have a look asap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts