Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an after market HID kit installed. The right bulb comes on everytime, but my left one takes a lot of coaxing to get to come on. I've seen the left one come on for a moment and then turn off. Eventually, after turning the lights on and off about 10 times, I can get it to turn on. The right bulb lights each and every time. It's been doing this since I installed the kit over a month ago. Would this be a problem with the left side or is this type of thing normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, it does sound like a left side problem. Given that it eventually will stay on it seems as though the bulb is OK. Given that it "ignites" it would seem that the igniter is OK but the ballast is marginal.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have that same problem right now I will be placing a call on monday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I've emailed the vendor I purchased the kit from. I'd experiment and swap things around, but it too hot in the garage. I'd drown the car in sweat!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received this from the vendor: "However, please try to inter-change the defective part with the functional side and to confirm exactly which HID part is causing the problem."

I'll do this ASAP

"Sometimes it maybe a blown fuse on your car or the HID wire-harness. You may change it to a 15AMP fuse, do not go over 20AMP."

If the fuse is burned out, wouldn't the bulb not come on at all?

If it is a blown fuse, please use thicker double sided tape or rubber to isolate the ballast to the car body, and change the fuse, this should solve your problem."

Should the metal ballast body not come in contact with the metal car body? It needs to be insulated from the car body?

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Correct if your fuse is blown, your light will not work. Your problem is either a bad connection, faulty ballast, or a bad bulb. I was a little curious about insulating the ballast too, I guess I have the 3M tape between all mine. Don't know if that could cause grounding out if the metal body came in contact with the frame or not?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had swapped the ballasts between the two assemblies. Without the car running, both lights came on each time I turned them on. I did this many times.

Today was the first day I drove the car in the dark and I couldn't get the left light to stay on. The left light would come on and them immediately turn off or I would get no response at all. I tried turning it on while the car was running and while it was turned off.

So, the problem must not be with the ballast. It looks like my next step is to swap the entire assemblies to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having a similiar type issue with mine as well. Sometimes the left one works and sometimes it doesn't. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I having the same problem with mines. I guess its the cheap HID's kit we buy. Mines sometime in the blue moon both would not fire up. Most of the time it would be left or right that doesn't turn on. I have to keep firing up my HID's 2- sometimes 10 times. I get really pissed . I don't know what to do but to think about replacing them with better ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a base 300 and I have kit that did the same thing, I went through 4 ballasts and had the same problem it was always one side or the the other that had the problem. I metered the output on the headlight wires and the voltage was 10v when the car was running and 12 when the car was off. I also tried using a relay to beef up the voltage and the headlight wire in the car and the output from the car would not trigger the relay. I have tried different ways to get this to work and just finally gave up. I am now considering a headlight replacement kit to give me halos as well as projection lighting I am just concerned about having the same issue as i did with the HID's (hopefully not)

·
Registered
6 Posts
you need a canceller kit to fix the problem. the factory lighting system is 55 watt an aftermarket kit is 35 watt and this causes the car to send the power in pulses to fix the problem. A canceller kit will eliminate the problem. if you need a canceller kit e-mail me and i can point you in the right direction.

[email protected]
Well since this is an old thread let me hijack it with my HID problem(s).

I have a 2006 300C with a standard Halogen setup. I replaced my halogens with a HID kit two weeks ago. Everything seemed to work fine the first two nights, but since then I've have multiple of problems.

When I unlock my car with the key-fob the inside entry lights turn including the low beam HID's. It appears that they both HID's turn on every single time in this mode. Then when I turn the ignition to start the car, the HID's momentarily turn off then about 50% of the time the passanger side light doesn't come on...just the driver side. After 1-2 times of turning the light off then back on the passanger side finally ignites, again. Then sometimes afterwards (3-5 minutes) one of the two HID's turn off. At this time, sometimes I can get it to re-ignite and sometimes I can't.

Now with the recent problem. Sometimes at 15 mph while driving through a parking lot or sometimes at 70 mph while driving on the highway....both HID's turn off making for a awkward moment. After a couple turns of the light switch both HID's finally re-ignite.

I thought it might be one or the other ballast, but now that both HID's are turning off what is in common to make both HID's turn-off.

Do I need capacitors or regulators or cancellation kits?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
469 Posts
o man, my lights worked flawless for over a year but I am now seeing these problems.. HID fogs and headlights very inconsistent, going off and on as they please. ill get em all fired up then pull up at a red light and see my reflection in the car ahead of me and notice a light not on anymore. A few off/on's later they are back but for how long ill never know... maybe only until i hit a bump or speed up or brake.. who knows

:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts