Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I haven't posted here often so i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right category. So here's the problem.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7L and the HID's have been driving me crazy. First both OEM ballasts went out so I replaced both. The dealership was asking for a lot so I bought after market ones. I bought two HID D1 Ballasts by Lumens, which are apparently a good brand as I was told by the mechanic. I replaced both and everything worked great. I replaced both about a month ago and this morning one passenger side headlight went out again!

I don't think it's the bulb because the buzzing noise the ballast usually makes isn't there anymore. I'm going to check by swapping the bulbs once i'm home, but I replaced both HID's about a month ago with the new ballasts, also by Lumens.

My main question is, is it common for a ballast to go out that fast? Is it maybe the brand? Or maybe an electric issue in the car? The ballasts cost me $150 each plus installation so I really don't want to replace the ballast again.

Any tips or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,072 Posts
Are you using any resistors in the aftermarket circuit? Your CanBus system may be shutting off power to that side as it is reading a low voltage there. If that is what's going on, then I'm not surprised the ballast isn't buzzing.

Try this...swap ballasts side for side and turn on the lights.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
I believe he has OEM HID, not aftermarket - so he shouldn't need resistors, right?

But yeah, bulb swap, ballast swap - let's determine what's working and what's not first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm having an absolute c*nt of a time with simultaneous flickering oem hid's. Don't expect both ballasts to fail at once in the same intermittent way. I'm thinking its a voltage problem Somewhere. There's so many threads on different forums about this but nobody has fixed one. I'm ready to drive it off a bridge and buy a chev.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts