Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has noticed that the car wants to hunt around on the highway? Seems like I have to make constant small steering corrections to just to continue driving in a straight line.

I noticed that my tire pressure was about 43 psi on a fairly cold tire. I dropped it down to 35 psi and on the highway, it usually goes up a pound or two at most. I still notice it wanting to jump around on the highway.

Just wanting to see if it is a tire issue, or it needs to go back to the dealer.

And I guess since I am posting, I will ask a few more questions about other little problems. LOL.

When I take off from a light, and get to about 30-35mph, and let off the gas a bit to maintain that speed, I notice a jump in rpms. I feel a slight pulse when the rpms do that. Not sure if its the motor doing it, or the tranny? Is it the torque converter locking up? Or is that water in the tranny?

The other issue is with the A/C. It seems like it only blows cool air when you are moving. It never really gets real cold even when moving unless it is cool outside. Is that normal?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW its a 2006 300C. Has 940 miles on it.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Registered
160 Posts
the AC is ok...not great...but u gotta make sure u hit the Ricirculation button for max coldness, and then i think youd find it works pretty well. as far as driving on the highway, i have found my C to really be a straight driving rig...hands free it will track straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the recirculation button just seems to make it louder. Doesn't really get any cooler. LOL.

If its 90 degrees out, the air will never blow cold to the feel. It will be very slightly cool, but not cold. Then when you come to a stop, it feels like 90 degree air being blown by a fan through the vents.

Now if its 70 degrees out, it will blow cold air. Granted its not near as hot out, but will be obviously cooler coming out of the vents.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Shawn

I have a 300C SRT-8 and had a huge problem with this outside of Las Vegas heading south on the 15...
the grooved road surface and the F1's were not compatible to say it nicely...
the car was dancing all over the place...
I thought I had flatted or something...
the car was acting like a jumping bean...
I got out of the lane and stayed in the other lanes for a bit...
got back in it at a lower speed...
same problem still...

So I don't what tires you are running...
mine are rated for 32 psi and I am running them at 34 psi now...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am running whatever came stock on the car. I believe its the self seal contis, but don't see anything on the tire to prove that.

I too thought it was possibly bump steer, or just the grooves in the highway, but it has done it on several different road ways.

But how you describe it, is exactly what its doing. Jumps around, almost like it dances on the road. Thought maybe it was wind causing it also, but does it no matter what the weather is like.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Blowndakrt said:
Well I am running whatever came stock on the car. I believe its the self seal contis, but don't see anything on the tire to prove that.

I too thought it was possibly bump steer, or just the grooves in the highway, but it has done it on several different road ways.

But how you describe it, is exactly what its doing. Jumps around, almost like it dances on the road. Thought maybe it was wind causing it also, but does it no matter what the weather is like.

Thanks

Shawn
I call it "wandering". I get it all the time. Some call it crown sensitivity.
I have the Crappi Self sealers too. My theory is the caster is too negative (or is it positive?) and our wheels are behaving like a grocery cart wheels that wobble back and forth. Very annoying.
I am hoping a different set of tires and/or bigger rims will reduce the wandering.

Oh yeh, and I am running my pressure at 29lbs to reduce the jarring pin-ball effect when riding over bumps and humps.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Blowndakrt said:
When I take off from a light, and get to about 30-35mph, and let off the gas a bit to maintain that speed, I notice a jump in rpms. I feel a slight pulse when the rpms do that. Not sure if its the motor doing it, or the tranny? Is it the torque converter locking up? Or is that water in the tranny?

The other issue is with the A/C. It seems like it only blows cool air when you are moving. It never really gets real cold even when moving unless it is cool outside. Is that normal?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW its a 2006 300C. Has 940 miles on it.

Thanks

Shawn
Back again. :wave:
My guess the surging/hesitation is the torque converter. The car does it a lot. I also notice it a lot when cruising on the freeway. You feel it engaging/disengaging. To me it feels more like a drop in acceleration than a surge.

About the AC. There is this TSB that seems to describe some of your symptoms. Probably worth asking the dealer.
https://mydata.datadepositbox.com/download/anonymous/3415-35010143-0-244425732/24-004-05.pdf

·
Registered
336 Posts
Blowndakrt said:
Well the recirculation button just seems to make it louder. Doesn't really get any cooler. LOL.

If its 90 degrees out, the air will never blow cold to the feel. It will be very slightly cool, but not cold. Then when you come to a stop, it feels like 90 degree air being blown by a fan through the vents.

Now if its 70 degrees out, it will blow cold air. Granted its not near as hot out, but will be obviously cooler coming out of the vents.

Shawn
TSB 2/11/05 #24-0005-05 Poor/Intermittent A/C performance. Maybe you need to see the dealer for a reflash. :deal:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Blowndakrt said:

Shawn
There is something wrong with your A/C!
Yesterday with the EVIC indicating 97 to 102 degrees outside and the A/C on AUTO set at 69 degrees both sides, and in the recirculate mode, I had to cut it back to the low fan speed position and re-direct the vents away from my body.
Either you're down on refrigerant or some dumb air flap door is hung up and sending too much hot air to the cabin. Let the stealership check it out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I second that. With the pop top closed, and legit high 90s outside in the open sun the A/C on full blast recirc should make your hands uncomfortably cold. Maybe the compressor is cycling frequently and causes the rev change?

·
Registered
268 Posts
wandering

In response to the original post- Mine is a 300 C AWD (april 2005 BUILD) on standard contis and I find this "drift" disconcerting. I thought it was because of excess air pressure.. Seems like when I drive at 30-31 lb/sq inch, it seems stabler. I am hoping all this is only because of the the stock tires and that when I change them, I will be in stability heaven :)

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts