Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!!

My 300 doesn't have the Home Link system in the overhead console. I would like to have it.
My question, if I buy a console with the Home Link system will it just be a plug and play unit? Will it plug into the existing harness? And, how does the overhead console come down?

On a side note, the same question for the heated/cooled drink holder....

TIA for the help!!

Stretch

2012 300 Limited
1967 Plymouth Fury III Convertible

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hey everybody!!

My 300 doesn't have the Home Link system in the overhead console. I would like to have it.
My question, if I buy a console with the Home Link system will it just be a plug and play unit? Will it plug into the existing harness? And, how does the overhead console come down?

On a side note, the same question for the heated/cooled drink holder....

TIA for the help!!

Stretch

2012 300 Limited
1967 Plymouth Fury III Convertible
Normally a good place to start when you want to add features is verifying electrical. As far as the heated/cooled cup holders go, there is a dedicated 10 AMP Red fuse located in cavity 52 in the rear fuse box for heated/cooled cup holders and rear heated seat switches (you can refer to the fuse box diagram in your owners manual). Check and see if that fuse is located there or if it is an open slot. As far as Home Link, I remember some people adding that on the first generation 300's. I think the module and programming was needed to do it (don't quote me on that). Not sure if the process would be the same or at least similar, but there isn't a dedicated fuse to the Home Link system, but there is a 30 AMP Pink fuse for the sunroof in cavity 5. The AMP seems kind of high for just a sunroof, so I would assume the Home Link system shares that fuse. Check and see if you have that fuse.

Ill take a look at my VIN build sheet and see if the heated/cooled cup holder option has a sales code associated with it as well as Home Link.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I read about some folks adding the HomeLink later on, and I seem to recall that it was simply plug-and-play. I think it gets power from the overhead lights.

I've personally added heated/cooled cup holders. I bought an entire center console on eBay and swapped the cup holder, center console wiring harness, and rear plate because it also had heated rear seat switches.

The connector on the car's wiring harness that plugged into the center console connector did not have wires for two of the cup holder's 12V supples, so I spliced those two wires (on the center console harness) onto the rear +12V jack. The current rating on that jack was plenty for the cup holders, and it was only powered when the car was on.

I kept the original harness in case I ever wanted to go back to stock for some reason.

There are four wires that go to the cup holder. 2 x 12V (one for the heating/cooling and one for the red/blue rings when heating/cooling), one for the blue rings when the headlights are on, and one for ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome tanbam! What you posted is exactly what I was thinking for both of the issues. I've seen the consoles on ebay, and also just the cup holder units. I think that's the route I will go for that. Also for the overhead console. Just need to find one in black :cool:

Stretch

·
Registered
557 Posts
In the past, I added a Homelink overhead console to a vehicle that didn't originally come with it, and all of the electronics to make it work were in the console - all I needed was a power source. You won't be able to run it off the overhead lights (unless you want to open your door to be able to use Homelink). Depending on how your car is equipped, there should be a hot wire nearby to grab power - if not, you could run a wire under the front edge of the headliner to the a pillar, and then down to catch it under the dash. I would want an always hot wire so that your home link would work without the car started. On the other hand, if it's always hot, someone could open your garage door if you were to leave your car unlocked in the driveway!

Sorry I couldn't give you more specific info!

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are multiple power sources to the overhead lights. One that turns on when you open the door, and one that is always on (for the most part) for when you reach up and hit the button!

I use the overhead console to power my radar detector, too. I prefer it that way, because of the way that the power is supplied. The radar detector turns on when I touch the door handle, so the startup beeps aren't blaring in my face, and it doesn't turn of until a few minutes after I get out of the car. I hate the beep-whenever-you-start-the-car set ups.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are multiple power sources to the overhead lights. One that turns on when you open the door, and one that is always on (for the most part) for when you reach up and hit the button!

I use the overhead console to power my radar detector, too. I prefer it that way, because of the way that the power is supplied. The radar detector turns on when I touch the door handle, so the startup beeps aren't blaring in my face, and it doesn't turn of until a few minutes after I get out of the car. I hate the beep-whenever-you-start-the-car set ups.
Ah - tanbam, I forgot about the power there to turn on the lights at the push of a button - thanks for the correction! No running wires down the A pillar = a good thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts