Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The signal strength of my Homelink garage door opener is very weak.
The door will not open unless the nose of my car is within about 6 feet from the garage door. Also, sometimes I have to stop the car and hold/press the button for up to 5 to 10 seconds before the door will open.
Today the door wouldn't open at all and I had to reprogram the opener to get it to work again.

My regular Genie hand held remote opener is much stronger and will open the door when I am within about 50 feet away.

Is everyone else's signal strength as weak as mine (only works if about 6 feet from the door)?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Mine works fine from about 40 - 50 feet. I have to hold it about 2 seconds, but all Homelink ones I've had did that. I'm using a Genie opener as well. You may want to just re-learn the code and see if it improves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HomeLink transmitting range is a problem carried over from the LH cars. Matter of fact my father has had 3 Town & Countries and the range on those aren't that good either.

DaimlerChrysler has an antenna available at their parts counters that many folks with 300Ms, Intrepids, and Concords have slapped onto their HomeLink console. Most have said that it's more than doubled their transmitting distance.

Here's the part number: 4602316AA ANTENNA FWHS 1 $ 17.50 $ 12.07

Here's what it looks like:

Here's the thread at DodgeIntrepid.net http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20609

Here's a good how-to at HomeLink's site http://www.homelink.com/program/gdo.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gang,

I felt that I had a problem with the homelink in my "350 Z" and it turned out to be the antenna in the receiver on the door. The homelink in our "300C" will open the door almost a block away.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the Genie antenna, which was a small box screwed to the ceiling of the garage with a 9 inch wire dangling out the side, and connected to the main Genie mechanism with a 4 foot wire.

I first detached the antenna box and let it dangle about 4 feet above the ground and drove in and out of my driveway and up and down the street.
For some unknown reason Homelink would not work the first time and I had to recalibrate again. Once re-calibrated the door would open/close from a distance of about 40 feet.
However, the door still does not consistently open/close every time, so there is still some reception/transmission problems.
I found some similar gage wire about 15" long and soldered it to the existing 9 inches and reattached the box to the ceiling.

I'll see how it goes from here. If the door continues to be intermittent I will buy the antenna add-on Hemi-Hombre posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts