Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming out with a hydrogen car soon and they claim its going to be marketable and will be availible in california soon. Dont know much else about it, just throwing it out there...
Their so suppose to be getting this car out before Toyota gets theirs out.

anyone else know any other details?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Coming out with a hydrogen car soon and they claim its going to be marketable and will be availible in california soon. Dont know much else about it, just throwing it out there...
Their so suppose to be getting this car out before Toyota gets theirs out.

anyone else know any other details?
Here's their press release, a pic, and the official website.

Honda Worldwide | June 16, 2008 "Honda Announces First FCX Clarity Customers and World’s First Fuel Cell Vehicle Dealership Network as Clarity Production Begins in Japan"

Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle - Official Web Site

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro.

you know what i never get, why cant they make these alternative cars look good, i mean its just the damn body, why do these cars have to look half ass compare to most gas powered ones? lol

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
463 Posts
they are making it bubbly I guess like the jetsons? I heard the hydrogen is going to be only in the big cities... so it might take a while to get them integrated into society

·
Registered
459 Posts
Unfortunately, while they can make the car, the fuel is a major issue. Right now hydrogen fuel is mostly not available and the current methods of producing it create more CO2 than gasoline does, and it takes more energy to make it than it contains, even worse than ethanol. Until there is a clean efficient way to produce hydrogen, these vehicles will only be a novelty. Here is a link for more info:

Hydrogen vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unfortunately, while they can make the car, the fuel is a major issue. Right now hydrogen fuel is mostly not available and the current methods of producing it create more CO2 than gasoline does, and it takes more energy to make it than it contains, even worse than ethanol. Until there is a clean efficient way to produce hydrogen, these vehicles will only be a novelty. Here is a link for more info:

Hydrogen vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil

True , but hydrogen cars emit 0 emissions. Wouldnt the added CO2 for production be offset if you can take millions of fossil fuel burning cars off the road ? Fossil fuels create CO2 and pollution from production to the point where it exits your exhaust pipe.

Progress is slow, but obviouisly we are moving in a good direction. I wager within 5-10 years there will be many options for non fossil fuel vehicles.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The CO2 is there one way or another. If you make hydrogen from fossil fuels all the CO2 is released at the factory. If you make fossil fuels into gasoline then some is released at the factory and the rest though your car. The only way to make "green" hydrogen is to use solar, wind, or hydro power to electrolyze water.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
just heard the lease for this car will be 600 a MONTH, 600 a month. WOW. equiv MPG will be around a 70 number.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Right, $600 a month, which includes all scheduled maintenance. You do have to agree to a contract stating that you will follow certain rules about how and where you drive. And it shouldn't bother you that you are sitting on a 10000 psi hydrogen tank.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The CO2 is there one way or another. If you make hydrogen from fossil fuels all the CO2 is released at the factory. If you make fossil fuels into gasoline then some is released at the factory and the rest though your car. The only way to make "green" hydrogen is to use solar, wind, or hydro power to electrolyze water.

Do you know manufacturing hydrogen fuel creates more CO2 then the millions of cars burning fossil fuels on the streets right now? I dont hink so. The skeptics you see only say it creates more CO2 to manufacture. I dont see anywhere where it lists how it compares to cars creating CO2 on a daily basis.

Again this is the baby steps of anti-fossil fuel vehicles. It will be expensive and take time to get issues ironed out. Just like any new technology. It all starts somewhere.

Some people seem so upset when anyone tries to make a car that doesnt run on fossil fuels. I dont get it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
All I'm saying is that when you extract the hydrogen from a fossil fuel you are going to create CO2. If you make hydrogen in a factory then the CO2 is released there and no CO2 emissions come from your car. So unless the factories are equipped with good CO2 scrubbers it gets into the atmosphere just like it does from your car when you combust gasoline. You can't avoid the creation of CO2 when refining fossil fuels.

I work in the fuel cell industry and deal with hydrogen production daily. I'm one of the ones trying to iron out the issues, but it is important to educate people on the actual issues, advantages, and disadvantages of the technology so they can make a more informed decision. There has been too much hype about hydrogen and fuel cells and many people have gotten the wrong idea. I'm just trying to set the record straight.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i'll never be a buyer of a hydrogen or ethonal based car, especially for the prices they want to ask for them, the MPG numbers wont sway me, i'll stick with the fast cars until i can buy a flying car hehe

natural gas vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Right, $600 a month, which includes all scheduled maintenance. You do have to agree to a contract stating that you will follow certain rules about how and where you drive. And it shouldn't bother you that you are sitting on a 10000 psi hydrogen tank.
Good Point. What is the Net Explosive Weight of a 10000 psi hydorgen tank?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure about the explosive weight. I do know they have done a lot of testing of the tanks including shooting them and they have not blown up. If they are strapped down good they shouldn't be able to fly out of your car. The other thing is that gasoline is a more energy dense fuel so if you can go for 350 miles on a tank of gas but only 200 miles on a tank of hydrogen, you are storing less energy (aka smaller bomb) in your car. If you were to get in a wreck and the tank were to start leaking, the hydrogen would go straight up and quickly disperse in the air, gasoline will drip onto the ground and pool.
For me I think about the potential mechanical energy stored in a high pressure tank compared to a gas tank at atmospheric pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
point!

I'm not sure about the explosive weight. I do know they have done a lot of testing of the tanks including shooting them and they have not blown up. If they are strapped down good they shouldn't be able to fly out of your car. The other thing is that gasoline is a more energy dense fuel so if you can go for 350 miles on a tank of gas but only 200 miles on a tank of hydrogen, you are storing less energy (aka smaller bomb) in your car. If you were to get in a wreck and the tank were to start leaking, the hydrogen would go straight up and quickly disperse in the air, gasoline will drip onto the ground and pool.
For me I think about the potential mechanical energy stored in a high pressure tank compared to a gas tank at atmospheric pressure.

That's for sure! 10000 PSI of anything is a big blow waiting to happen!!!!

Seriously, it's great to have someone with some knowledge of reality instead of the greenies propaganda machine. These are POTENTIALLY great ideas but remain far from proven.

You shouldn't play fast and loose with the facts. Yet the spin rules!

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's for sure! 10000 PSI of anything is a big blow waiting to happen!!!!

Seriously, it's great to have someone with some knowledge of reality instead of the greenies propaganda machine. These are POTENTIALLY great ideas but remain far from proven.

You shouldn't play fast and loose with the facts. Yet the spin rules!

I hear ya. Good thing big oil doesnt have a propaganda machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts