Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 300C has about 7,907 miles on it.

Whenever the temperature drops below freezing, and I go to start the car in the morning, there's this most god-awful noise.

Yesterday it was 16 degrees in the morning. I had left the HVAC control in the low auto position when I had last turned off the car. On start-up the car made a horrific metallic SCREACH/scream noise, then I heard all the fluid running through the heating system. That was probably the second or third time I had heard that noise.

SO I thought, it must be the Heater pump or whatever trying to turn after being frozen all night. So today I made sure the climate control was off before starting it, and the same noice happened again (it was warmer today--17 degrees). It's quite disconcerting, to say the least. It sounds like metal binding or something.

Has anyone else had that kind of occurance? I don't even know how to explain it to the dealer without making me seem looney.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think the coolant is freezing up at only 17 degrees? I guess that could be a possibility, but what would the noise be coming from?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, I've also heard a brief grinding/metallic sound starting up the first time on 10-20 degree mornings. Sounds like the sound you would get from cranking a running engine, but very brief.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
ChromeTailfins said:
You think the coolant is freezing up at only 17 degrees? I guess that could be a possibility, but what would the noise be coming from?
I don't mean that it would be the only reason, just that it might be contributing to your issues. Have you had anyone stand around the engine bay with the hood up when you start it? Maybe you can get a better feel for the location of the noise?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cmego said:
Yes, I've also heard a brief grinding/metallic sound starting up the first time on 10-20 degree mornings. Sounds like the sound you would get from cranking a running engine, but very brief.
That's exactly the noise! Maybe it's the starter motor then, I'll take jjs advice and pop the hood and take a listen.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
This car has a lockout for starting like my 72 Capri, you can't crank the engine if it's already running. Frozen coolant at 16F is a freightening thought cause you are on the way to a cracked block :eek: if that is the case, can't possibly be, can it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was waiting for the next service for them to do the radiator recall, maybe I'll just take it in early and have them check it out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the same issue, tho to me it sounds like a normal cold start. The noise, while deifinitlt only on cold starts goes away instantaniously. I believe it to be the starter itself. That's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine too.

Mine does the same thing...even after all recalls. Nothing to worry about....I think :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll mention it when it goes next time. Along with the sunroof rattle, left rear power window issue, and the fact that the passenger side rearview mirror doesn't come back up after you take the car out of reverse.

Nothing major, but annoying nonetheless.

I don't know if we should be so complacent with the starting noise issue, over time some real damage may occur.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 300M Had The Same Noise

I noticed the noise too. My 2000 300M had the same noise and I never had a problem. I think its just related to the cold. Also when cold these cars hold the shift points longer to warm up the car faster (emissions etc).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts