Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's my budget guys. I'd like some feed back on the best route to go. I've got to consider labor costs as part of the budget. Currently, the engine is a 100% stock 5.7l.

The two contenders are a 392 rebuild with heads/cam/headers...i figure this will will keep it to under $8k and give me about a hundred additional horsepower. The problem is finding someone capable of doing an engine rebuild.

The other is to purchase a used superchager system. They are sparse, but I've seen them for sale before. The used price should allow me pay for installation and still keep it under $8k.

Its really looking like a 392 rebuild is going to be the winner unless someone else has some good ideas. I just can't afford a new supercharger nor the twin screw blowers that just came out.

Specific questions:
- Who makes the best header system? I was thinking Dynotech.
- I am going to either go with Corsa (if they have 3" cat back) or BB 3" cat system.
- Where should I look for a larger throttle body? I saw some new ones a bit ago, but the asking price was over $1k. Forget it. What are the alternatives?
- Is getting a ported 6.1l intake worth it? Or is my stocker 5.7l fine?
- I plan on using only high octane fuel and want to go with 11.0:1 compression ratio or higher. Has anyone else done this successfully on the new Hemis? Do these engines lend themselves to high compression - I guess its the heads really - or are they detonation whores?
- I plan on getting a set of PPP heads. Stage II.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Take your 5.7 and trade it for an SRT.

That right there is the best way to spend 8K!
Very true.:pat:
I went the 392 route and I've got a monster sleeper. 416 rwhp and 400+ torque. She traps at over 115mph!:scared: :cool:
However the suspension and brakes are a little overwhelmed by all the action.:smashfrea
To be honest if I was going to do it again I'd start with an SRT.
In fact I've ordered an '09 6 speed challenger SRT, Hemi-Orange:biggrin:
Let me just finish by saying that the guys at PPP are the best and do all my mods:fing02:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very true.:pat:
I went the 392 route and I've got a monster sleeper. 416 rwhp and 400+ torque. She traps at over 115mph!:scared: :cool:
However the suspension and brakes are a little overwhelmed by all the action.:smashfrea
To be honest if I was going to do it again I'd start with an SRT.
In fact I've ordered an '09 6 speed challenger SRT, Hemi-Orange:biggrin:
Let me just finish by saying that the guys at PPP are the best and do all my mods:fing02:
What I didn't mention in the original post is that I've got 'better than SRT8' suspension in the works. I will be doing a complete Pedders install.

For what I paid for the 300C, its much more than $8 to go to an SRT8.

Did you purchase your 392 already built, or did you build it yourself from one of PPP's kits?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
You should be able to get a NEW S/C System for well under 8k Installed.
You will love it...here is my new little addition courtesy of BMC Performance!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to get a NEW S/C System for well under 8k Installed.
You will love it...here is my new little addition courtesy of BMC Performance!
Yeah, that is nice allright. The only thing about the Vortech s/c setup is that it doesn't look like it'll take a strut tower brace...which I don't think I can live without. Can you confirm this?

Also, is there a forum vendor selling the Vortech systems?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Yeah, that is nice allright. The only thing about the Vortech s/c setup is that it doesn't look like it'll take a strut tower brace...which I don't think I can live without. Can you confirm this?

Also, is there a forum vendor selling the Vortech systems?

Thanks
I was the first LX running a Strut Brace, so I hear you, I did ditch my DCSports Brace w/ the Vortech, but we will be working on a replacement! I liked the STB but the Vortech is worth the tradeoff!!!
I don't think anyone here is selling them but BMC Performance on LXF is!

·
Registered
618 Posts
What I didn't mention in the original post is that I've got 'better than SRT8' suspension in the works. I will be doing a complete Pedders install.

For what I paid for the 300C, its much more than $8 to go to an SRT8.

Did you purchase your 392 already built, or did you build it yourself from one of PPP's kits?
The short block is an Arrington. A real gem!
The heads and cam were custom pieces at the time, designed by Andy at PPP
Intake is stock. Headers and Catback,2800 stall.
Colin:fing02:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Call Andy at PPP. It is worth your time and money!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could invest the $8k and use the interest earned to pay for the petrol.
This is not what I am looking for. I'd buy a Geo Metro and sell the 300C if that were the case.

In fact, I am more worried about building an engine that doesn't pass emissions.

Thanks though :biggrin:

·
Registered
618 Posts
In fact, I am more worried about building an engine that doesn't pass emissions.
Good point. Here in Ontario I'm due for a clean air test in 2010. Every car must be tested 5 years after production then every 2 years after that.
I wanted to know where I stood and I failed an independant test. :sour: The good news was after further testing the problem appears to be at 2500 rpm only and by leaning the tune with CMR should be able to squeek by. I'll try the adjustments next summer for a preliminary test.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Where are you located? Let me see what I can do for a Vortech for you... Did you already get the Pedders done? I have the Track 2 and love it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where are you located? Let me see what I can do for a Vortech for you... Did you already get the Pedders done? I have the Track 2 and love it!
I am in Portland, OR. I haven't done any mods yet. Still sorting things out.

I was planningon a track II as well. I have heard nothing but praise about the Pedders packages. I can't wait either.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
PHX, AZ

I can get you discounted Pedders Parts, I work for them!

I can also get you other parts like the performance parts you need

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PHX, AZ

I can get you discounted Pedders Parts, I work for them!

I can also get you other parts like the performance parts you need
Really? This has got to be the coolest thing I've heard all month. To be honest, the thing I am most anticipating is the Pedders install. Put it this way: The money goes for the Pedders first. Motor comes second.

There is a certefied Pedders install shop about an hour away from me, in Washington. Norpac Performance is their name, and they did a Pedders install day last month. I wasn't able to make it in at that time (going through a divorce). However, I am going to try and get something setup within the next two weeks, as things have settled down a bit in my life.

Depending on the cost of the Pedders/wheels install, will determine exactly how much I get to spend on the motor.

Should I PM you and see what can be worked out?

Thank again,
greg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts