Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy a used srt8 300c and it has some tuning mods such as a Predator, how would you be able to tell? Being that you've never driven a stock srt8 and you bought a used one that could have been modded.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them use the Starscan or just ask to have the whole computer reflashed to factory settings.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
One sure way is to have the dealer use the StarScan tool on it. They could easily tell if the Predator tune was still on it. That would mean it would void the warranty though, at least I THINK. I would hope whoever owned it previously would have returned it to the stock tune before turning it in though.

Good question when you think about it. I wonder if the dealer could go back on the previous owner for lessening the value of the car if it turned out that way...humm. The SRT Engineers have clearly stated use of the Predator would most certainly void the warranty.

Bernie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question when you think about it. I wonder if the dealer could go back on the previous owner for lessening the value of the car if it turned out that way...humm. The SRT Engineers have clearly stated use of the Predator would most certainly void the warranty.

Bernie
Even further, how could they prove you did the tuning if you bought it used? The dealership should do an inspection on the car and I would think that would be one of the things that they would check, but since it's used they really couldn't say with 100% accuracy that you did the tuning mod.

Just a question. I haven't done anything to car myself, but what if it had been tuned, you took it in for warranty work and they said your warranty was voided because you had the Predator tune?

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
What you have to do is return your car to the stock tune BEFORE you take it in for any servicing that they may have cause to check it out with the StarScan tool.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
My understanding is the the Predator become VIN specific once initialized for the vehicle it is to service. Thereafter, if the VIN doesn't match... the Predator becomes a vegetable!

I WISH a Predator could work on two vehicles, then I would need only one. But I was told one Predator per vehicle... it may be that it can store only one "stock" tune and that is the info that is VIN specific.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is the the Predator become VIN specific once initialized for the vehicle it is to service. Thereafter, if the VIN doesn't match... the Predator becomes a vegetable!
This is what I've been told.

Let's say that the previous owner had it tuned for 2-3 years and just forgot to put it back to stock. The problem is I like the way it performs now, so if I did find out that it had tuning I would hate to have to put it back to stock.:(

Not bashing modding or anything, because I usually end up modding my cars (blastin bob pipes 11db on the way), but it's just something I thought about B4.

Anyway, It sucks to think that someone could actually have their warranty voided because of a previous mod that was unknown to them. Tuning is probably the best example of a mod that would void the warranty yet may not be noticeable to someone who's only experienced the "tuned" version of their car. Although we might think about getting scanned before taking it in for warranty work, someone else might not.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The Predator becomes locked to the vehicle's VIN after you install the performance tune. You can unlock the tuner by just reinstalling the stock tune. Then it can be used on any LX 5.7 or 6.1 vehicle...or the Jeep GC.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does your car have any performance mods on it? Chances are that if you have all factory parts then it probably hasn't had a predator tune.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does your car have any performance mods on it? Chances are that if you have all factory parts then it probably hasn't had a predator tune.
None yet that I've done and everything appears to be stock.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
None yet that I've done and everything appears to be stock.
Sounds to me you're probably safe that it hasn't been modded. Truth is as far as the general public goes, to most a car is a car. It's only on sites like this you're apt to run into people who mod. IMO we only represent a very tiny percentage of the population. The rest just buy these cars for what they are then trade them in for the next one.

Bernie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds to me you're probably safe that it hasn't been modded. Truth is as far as the general public goes, to most a car is a car. It's only on sites like this you're apt to run into people who mod. IMO we only represent a very tiny percentage of the population. The rest just buy these cars for what they are then trade them in for the next one.Bernie
Very true and is exactly the scenerio that I'm talking about. Most people would just buy the car not knowing if it's been tuned. They would drive it and think wow this is a powerful car, then an issue arises that would require warranty work only to find out their warranty is voided because of the mod. If you change things like the exhaust or cam/heads polished, basically almost anything else, you would be able to hear the difference or see the difference.
I wonder if anyone has actually had this happen to them?:scared:

BTW I modded my WS6 and Vette, but you could definetly hear the mods:biggrin:

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
One thing you have to remember is some dealers are more mod friendly than others. Some will void a suspension and brake warranty just for larger wheels, others will turn a blind eye or even sell them off the lot brand new with 22" wheels. That's just one example. You just have to find one that's more mod friendly.

Bernie

·
Registered
903 Posts
The predator only came out for the LX in October 2007. I doubt someone installed it and forgot about it in that short of a time. Used predators for the LX will sell for $300 where a used predator for a Chevy might only go for $150.

With that said, get a diablo. You'll love it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts