Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order on 9/27 through a local dealer for invoice+$500. I left a check for $500 as a deposit that they cashed. I called DC today and they said that it is still in BX stage. I searched Chrysler online and found the car that I ordered in stock from a different dealer. Called them up and told them my situation and they agreed to give me the same price, invoice+$500.

Since the car I ordered hasn't been built yet I assume that it should be fairly easy to get my deposit back from the first dealer but they will probably not want to do it. Any strategies or arguments that I should use with that dealership? That $500 would pay for my mesh grill and some tinted tailights :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Why not just go to the dealer and tell him the truth. There should be no problem getting your deposit back under the circumstance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
ABlackC said:
I placed an order on 9/27 through a local dealer for invoice+$500. I left a check for $500 as a deposit that they cashed. I called DC today and they said that it is still in BX stage. I searched Chrysler online and found the car that I ordered in stock from a different dealer. Called them up and told them my situation and they agreed to give me the same price, invoice+$500.

Since the car I ordered hasn't been built yet I assume that it should be fairly easy to get my deposit back from the first dealer but they will probably not want to do it. Any strategies or arguments that I should use with that dealership? That $500 would pay for my mesh grill and some tinted tailights :)
If your dealer has any 300c they should be able to do a trade with the other dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
No trade - I tried this... now, my deposit was $1000.00, they made me sign a paper that if I cancelled, they would take $200 penalty fee, at that time I did not figure I would be cancelling so I didn't care... I called the dealer on Monday, I spoke with the sales manager (he/she is the one that handles refunds) he asked why, I told him that I sold my car sooner than planned and that I could not wait for the delivery date of Dec. that I found it at another dealer. He told me about the $200 and I acted stupid, I told him I was not aware of that and that it wasn't fair, that I cancelled because it was taking to loong :) well, to make it short, they only charged me $100. I know I got ripped off cause there was nothing they did worth $100 but whatever... I got my $900 check yesterday, I already deposited! :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
You're all quite fortunate to find dealers willing to even take a deposit... that would be a rare bird here in So Cal, as I'm sure you've read in other threads.

By comparison, it doesn't seem you've waited an extraordinarily long time, but, BEFORE you say anything to dealer #1, be sure the car is really still availabe at dealer #2! Then I would say read your contract/deposit receipt for 'fine print' and be honest with dealer #1. If they don't want to refund you 100% ask them to do a dealer trade, many will. If that doesn't work, ask the 2nd dealer to intercede on your behalf and see if the 2 of them can work it out. If all else fails, look up the business practices for your state and know your rights regarding what % of the deposit they are allowed to keep.

And look at the bright side, a $100-200 "penalty" is pennies compared to the $5-10k over MSRP that CA, and some AZ, dealers are charging for C's and many of us agree it (the C) is actually underpriced when you consider the 'bang for your buck'. Good Luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the advice. This is why I love this forum so much! Well I went to dealer #2 today and the Black Beauty now sits in my garage. I will be going to dealer #1 this week to see if I can get my deposit back...I will let you know the results!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
ABlackC said:
Thanks for all of the advice. This is why I love this forum so much! Well I went to dealer #2 today and the Black Beauty now sits in my garage. I will be going to dealer #1 this week to see if I can get my deposit back...I will let you know the results!
Congrats and welcome to the club! No matter the outcome, don't let it dampen your spirits... ENJOY!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
ABlackC said:
Thanks for all of the advice. This is why I love this forum so much! Well I went to dealer #2 today and the Black Beauty now sits in my garage. I will be going to dealer #1 this week to see if I can get my deposit back...I will let you know the results!
Did you sign anything, or did they just deposit your check? If you did not sign anything they should refund you money. Otherwise ask them to produce the invoice and see what it says... I bet they will not find one because what they did was "shady" to say the least. Here in Dallas I have yet to hear of a dealer cashing a deposit check. I put one down at one dealer on an order and the next day I got a call from another dealer I visited that said a customer backed out and they had one for me. I went and purchased and then drove to the dealer I put the depoist at and showed them the car. They were impressed and handed me my check. BTW they are closer to me and that is were I do all my service... Sometimes if you can't please a customer in one way there are other ways to achieve thier loyalty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I always make sure that I have the sales manager write the word "refundable" next to deposit. Just in case, you never know. If they don't want to - they won't be getting my business. Then again this is only going to be my 4th new car purchase. And 2 of the cars came from the same Audi dealership.

You shouldn't have a problem getting your deposit back, if you didn't sign anything but a sales order.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top