Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :biggrin:

I bought my 300c 2007 model in Germany. I live in Denmark where we must have the headlights on at all times - also in daylight. So I have to manually put the lights on and off every time I am driving. :yuck:

The danish chrysler dealer told me, that I can fix it by installing a relay to the headlight.

BUT... can it be true that there is no way to program it by the starscan, or another smother way to change that setting?

:)
Bo

·
Registered
772 Posts
from my limited reading on these forums i THINK you can program the highbeams via starscan to be on when the lowbeams are off. search for the term "DRL" in these forums.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
auto will not turn your lights on in the daytime unless it gets dark..huh??.sort of makes sense.You are best just turning your lights on manually

·
Banned
651 Posts
or what you can do instead of going to the dealer is get some black electrical tape and mask off the light sensor thats on the dash. that way your tricking the car into thinking its always night time. booo yaaaa

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Ah but in many cars the light sensor is actually up behind the rear view mirror and really can't be blanked off. I do believe that the facility exists for your dealer to activate this option using the Starscan that he will have in his workshop.
Cheers John

·
Registered
622 Posts
They also make a daytime running light module you can buy aftermarket. you will have to search the web for it but it is an easy install and makes any car have DRL's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you so much for all your fast and good help.

As a dane I had never heard about the "DRL". So I have done some search on the web and found this:

"...Regarding DRL's; one of the other LX forums said the dealer can turn on DRL if you want. Here are the instructions for your tech:

Technician's Checklist - Daytime Running Light (DRL) enabling:

1. Verify your StarSCAN unit has been updated via update CD to version 6.03 or higher and displays "6.03" (or higher) in the upper RH corner of the display screen.

2. Enter Vehicle Preparation menu.

3. Select DRLs.

4. Select Enable (Note: some vehicles may already show Enabled, if so select Disable, then re-Enable.)

5. Select Disable. You will hear an alert chime and see various warning lights appear on the instrument panel.

6. Select Enable.

7. Start engine. Manually select headlamps to Off with light switch*.

8. Visually confirm DRLs on (High beam lamps partially illuminated). Note: DRL will extinguish with turn signal blinking, selected side. This is normal.

*Note for forum users: The instruction to manually de-select headlights (switch not in Auto or Headlight) is included to insure that the headlights won't be on during the attempt to visually verify that the DRLs are enabled. With the headlight switch in Auto and the car inside a service bay the headlights will frequently be on. Headlights always over-ride DRLs, and would thus keep the DRLs from showing - not good if one is attempting to visually verify that DRLs were, in fact, enabled.

So this Is what I will try to make them do at the dealer.

Thanks again for putting me back on track.

I will let you know if this work or not.

Bo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Chris

Thanks. You are right that I can adjust the sensitivity. But I allready didset it to maximum, and unfortunatly its not enough (even in the cold and dark Denmark :)) I wonder why they did not make it possible to set so low, that it will always be on.

Bo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you really had any success with adjusting headlight sensitivity?
In my car setting HL sensitivity thru EVIC has no effect. And I also found out why. The reason is that the auto light feature is actually controlled by another light sensor integrated into rain sensor under red cover on the windshield behind the rear mirror.

The EVIC settings are related to the round light sensor on the dash that is often referred to as ACC sun sensor. All the mess could be caused by an anachronism from models without rain-sensitive wipers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Albert

Yes I could see that it had a effect with the change in the evic. I changed the settings in the late afternon - and could see how the light went from off to on before and after the change.

That is how I remember it, but it is some time ago. I can check again if you like.

But the chance did not make a difference in the middle of day.

P.s. I have rain-sensiteve wipers.

Bo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm... That's interesting :confused:

Bo, what's the version of your EVIC software?

Could you perform a little experiment...
When staying in daylight with running engine switch the light switch to position A, switch to the EVIC display #6 and cover the round light sensor on the dash. The AutoHLSens value should go up next to 255 (the max value = no light). Do the headlights go on? The auto HL "on" state would be marked with an A letter on the third TC row.

If the HL did not came on and the second value on the TC row (the sensor value adjusted with time constant TC) is still higher than Thld (threshold) value then it means that the headlights are not controlled by your settings. The idea of auto HL feature is that it should switch headlights on when adjusted sensor value goes above threshold value and vice versa.

Now, uncover the light sensor on the dash and cover the rain sensor on the windshield. If the headlights come now on you probably notice, that it does not depend on your settings shown on the EVIC display.

At least my car works that way, there may be differences between various software versions, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Albert

Sorry it took so long time. But I did the experiment and I was very suprised to see that you are right. Therefor I also did some testing around eveningtime.

So.

Covering the sensor on the dashbord:

Autohlsen 238
TC: 50 238
thld: 150
hpbuty: 0

Covering the sensor on the windsreen - and the light turned on.

So you are right. It appers that the adjusted sensor value does not have any effect.

Seams very strange to me... :)

Bo

·
Registered
441 Posts
I changed the threshold a bit higher on my '07 C AWD and it seemed to make a difference. I also have the rain sensor, but do you have it enabled?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lights on with ignition

Hi
Seen a few replies but try this.
I have had Xenons on Vws and Saabs and both were able to have the lights come on with the ignition and go off with ignition. It did not seem poosible withthe Chrysler and when I posted the question about 5 months ago, I got no positive / informative replies.

I have now figured it.

First perform the mod which enables Auto lights on cars which did not cme with that feature. There are lots of links to it on this site. Ie pull the switch off and break the plastic arm off.

When I did this, I lost the "switch"-"click" feel but the function worked fine. ie. You position the switch as usual and everything is as per the manual and, after the mod, you go anticlockwise from the "0" position you get auto lights.

To get what you want, you do the opposite, go clockwise from the "full-on" position and you get lights on with ignition and also lights off with ignition. The function will switch the Xenons and the fogs.

You just leave the switch at about 2- o -clock and it always works. Had it like that for 2 months.

Have noticed that in this position, after ignition on-off cycle that the high beam flick, ie. "you go first mate", does not function. You have to turn the lights fully off and back on again to regain that.

Took me ages to figure what was happening.

N

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Again

I got the car back from service yeasterday, and I got a explanation that made some sence...

The cars made in Canada has build in the "Day Time Running Light" function, that can be enabled trough Starscan. But for some (stupid) reason they did not put in this function in the cars made in ostria (Europe).

How can they forget the there are 17 counties in Europe, that have laws about DTR? (did some google).

Anyway - now I will put in a rela or follow the advice from Silver.

Silver?: To make sure I understand you right. Everytime you turn on the car, you need to turn the lights fully off and back on again to regain the beam flick function?

I use that function very often, so would then prefere the rela. My car came with the Auto Lights. Did yours too?

Cmego: Yes I do have the rainsensor enabled ;-)

:eek:)
Bo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lights

Hi Bo
My car didn't come with auto lights, I had to do the mod.
I checked today, after putting the swith in the 2-O-Clock position the beam flik worked for about a minute, after that it stops working.

The "push" to main beam works ok, but obviously its "sticky" and not spring loaded.

If you back the switch off to "0" and then to the 2-O - clock position it only works for a further minute or so.

N

·
Registered
28 Posts
How can they forget the there are 17 counties in Europe, that have laws about DTR? (did some google).
It's illegal to use high beam lights (even at 30% level) as DRL in most of those countries. For example, here in Estonia only low beam headlights or dedicated DRL lamps should (and must) be used in daytime.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Chris

Thanks. You are right that I can adjust the sensitivity. But I allready didset it to maximum, and unfortunatly its not enough (even in the cold and dark Denmark :)) I wonder why they did not make it possible to set so low, that it will always be on.

Bo
That's strange because mine come on, in anything except direct light. I wanted my lights to not come on so soon at dusk, Because they come on about 2 hrs before sundown.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts