Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously they dont look like the bi-xenon's...but are they def clearer light, brighter light then normal "old school" lights that most cars have

worth the price?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Absolutely 100% improvement and worth every penny. I have them on the C and X5 and will never buy a car without them. No excuse on 2004 for every car not to have them available.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I really don't know anything about HID's, and didn't order them, but don't they tend to blind/irritate oncoming cars? At least that is what I have read.
That is why I didn't buy them.
Do oncoming cars ever flash their brights at you?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Bright White. I believe they are 5200k. The higher the bluer. 7000k would be blue. 11000k is purple.

Anything above 7000k is blatently obvious to the police not to be OEM and is sure to get you pulled over here in Southern California at least.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rogue said:
Bright White. I believe they are 5200k. The higher the bluer. 7000k would be blue. 11000k is purple.

Anything above 7000k is blatently obvious to the police not to be OEM and is sure to get you pulled over here in Southern California at least.
so the new Maxima's have 7000k?
they are as blue/purple as i have seen

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
joey said:
I really don't know anything about HID's, and didn't order them, but don't they tend to blind/irritate oncoming cars? At least that is what I have read.
That is why I didn't buy them.
Do oncoming cars ever flash their brights at you?
I've had HID on two Mercedes since 1998 and never flashed. The people complaining may be seeing the illegal retrofited HID in some Hondas and Toyotas with an incorrect beam pattern. I also think since HID is rare for many people and while driving they stare into the HID lamps or at the cars coming toward them to see out of curiosity or something. Oncoming HID lights get your attention and people look and then the complain about being blinded.

Plus, better lighting is for "your" driving safety and not the oncoming 'Looky-Lous'. :D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
MattinNashville said:
Most likely yes. Kev is right, people are drawn to Xenon or HID like its some sort of human bug zapper. Its not nearly as bad as flip down LCD's, but definitely draws attention.

A general rule of thumb:

If your car offers HID from the factory get it. If you want to go aftermarket you can, but not as safely and reliably.

I see rice rockets get pulled over all the time for HID conversions. Its pretty damn obvious an $4k car from 1994 did not come optioned from the factory with them. The cops are not idiots. :rolleyes:

My 300c is not optioned with HID and it is one of my regrets. I plan on going with a 7000k retrofit kit eventually with Silverstar all around. I was impatient and needed to purchase a car ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
MattinNashville said:
I doubt it. Probably someone that change to an non DOT approved bulb. Legal HID come in one standard wattage/brightness and come in 3 bulb sizes:

D1S
D2S
D2R

All around 4200k.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Factory HID's will never blind oncoming traffic thats why you pay for the opinion from the factory. The housing for HID's is totally different then the halogen housing. If you noticed on the BMW's the HID's actually line up straight so when your driving downhill or uphill the cut off line will always be straight and will not blind oncoming traffic. Light projected from the factory HID's is clean, sharp beam. If you use a aftermarket HID light kit, yes that will blind oncoming traffic. And from what I heard in the US the HID light kits are illegal to purchase unless its for offroad use. If you install a HID "conversion" in a halogen headlight you will have a beam that is impossible to properly control, blinds oncoming cars & gives you dark spots that won't allow you to see properly. The light that is emitted will be uncontrolled. HID bulbs must be exactly aimed. I don't think people who don't have the factory HID opinion for the 300 put a aftermarket kit, its going give you unsafe lighting and blind oncoming traffic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts