Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to use them, but I am really curious if anyone knows how the rain-sensing wipers actually sense moisture on the windshield?

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is a sensor mounted to the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can't say this is exactly how the system works with Chrysler, but a short description of a system by TRW:

HowStuffWorks "How Windshield Wipers Work"

The sensor projects infrared light into the windshield at a 45-degree angle. If the glass is dry, most of this light is reflected back into the sensor by the front of the windshield. If water droplets are on the glass, they reflect the light in different directions -- the wetter the glass, the less light makes it back into the sensor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hated it. Turned it off on day 1. Just like the auto-dim lights.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hated it. Turned it off on day 1. Just like the auto-dim lights.
I hated it the first time I used it too! However, since then I decided it wasn't so bad after all once you get used to them speeding up and slowing down on their own. I like having the option of having that feature on or off.

I hadn't thought of cameras; seems odd but it does seem to work at least most of the time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think my problem with it was at how random it was wiping. I'm OCD about things like that and those wipers were straight chaos! lol

Plus it helps that I am very proactive when it comes to wiping/dimming/shifting.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd earlier sought out and found that info on "HowStuffWorks" as well. Very interesting! I love it when it rains just so I can be amazed when the wipers automatically go on, negating any need to invoke them manually - magic! haha. Remember, there are four sensitivity settings -- I agree with Chrysler's recommendation that it should placed on setting "3."

Good post subject, OP!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Can't say this is exactly how the system works with Chrysler, but a short description of a system by TRW:

HowStuffWorks "How Windshield Wipers Work"
That makes TOTAL sense...really neat! I always wondered how it "sensed" the water... :09: Oh, and thanks for that post, Cosmo!

EDIT: And like others, I absolutely hated it @ first and turned it "off" as well... Since then, I've turned it back on and have gotten 95% used to it now. It really is convenient when it starts sprinkling outside and such...don't have to worry about adjusting, unless it's really misty...then it takes longer to wipe. I'll try adjusting the sensitivity to "3" as someone suggested above...

·
Registered
539 Posts
That makes TOTAL sense...really neat!
I absolutely agree! In describing this system, they throw around phrases like "optical sensors to detect moisture," "reflection of light [from droplets] in different directions," and "infrared projections" for this system. Think about it -- things sure have come a long way from driving in the rain in 1918 when your "automatic" wipers were your finger flicking raindrops off your goggles because you felt wetness...* Mikey like!

*Er, don't EVEN get me started about us not having to get OUT of the car to literally CRANK the engine. (I know, I don't look a day over 105). :01:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I absolutely agree! In describing this system, they throw around phrases like "optical sensors to detect moisture," "reflection of light [from droplets] in different directions," and "infrared projections" for this system. Think about it -- things sure have come a long way from driving in the rain in 1918 when your "automatic" wipers were your finger flicking raindrops off your goggles because you felt wetness...* Mikey like!

*Er, don't EVEN get me started about us not having to get OUT of the car to literally CRANK the engine. (I know, I don't look a day over 105). :01:
Actually, one of the other things that I had to get used to and complained about at first was that the "start" button doesn't actuate the starter, but merely tells the car to start itself. Having owned a '50 Ford with a real honest-to-god starter button in the dash I was baffled by the delay the first time I fired up a 300. (I assume there are elves and/or fairies at work under the hood, and the button sets off an alarm that tells them to start cranking over the engine??)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm almost certain the answer is no. It's part of the $2,000 SafetyTec package and I don't believe SafetyTec is an available option with the base model.

[I'll edit to add that if I'm not mistaken it used to be part of the Light Group option but was moved to SafetyTec roughly in 2011 or 2012.]

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think my problem with it was at how random it was wiping. I'm OCD about things like that and those wipers were straight chaos! lol

Plus it helps that I am very proactive when it comes to wiping/dimming/shifting.
Don't ever get a BMW then. Both my 1st and 2nd gen SRT's have had top notch rain sensing wipers. They seem to work perfectly. Not sure most people know that you can adjust the sensitivity with the turn signal stalk?

My 3series BMW was absolute crap. The sensitivity stalk did absolutely nothing. If it was raining anything more than a drizzle you basically had to hold the mist switch to keep the wipers moving yourself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does the base model have this option ?
A quick check on Chrysler.com seems to say that the SafetyTec option group IS available on the Base model 300, but it also requires the addition of the "driver convenience group" and at that point I think you're up into the same price as a 300S or 300C, or pretty close to it?

Rain-sensing wipers aren't available as a stand-alone option, only as part of the SafetyTec package

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Pollen sets them off too. Just an fyi

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmmm...had a thick layer of pollen on my windshield over the weekend and wipers never actuated...???

EDIT: Just thought of something though...sensitivity setting probably matters very much so in this case...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts