Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of HID replacement bulbs, and wasn't looking forward to paying the dealership to put them in. The passenger bulb is easy enough to get to. So, I have a couple of questions regarding the driver's side:

1) What do I need to do to get to my other light? I heard of some people loosening the coolant, and some removing the airbox. Which one is the easiest, and how should I go about it?

2) Any special precautions besides not touching the bulbs?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't happen to have any photos or directions on how-to, do ya?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
it should be pretty self explaintory when you look at it.

I believe there is a hose clamp on the tube going to the intake manifold and another bolt that attaches the airbox to the radiator support.

It should wiggle out.

If you cant swing this you shouldn't be allowed to fill your own gas lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol... I do miss the days of them pumping it for you!

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You also need to realize that the OEM bulb is retained by a ring held with three #2 (IIRC) star drive screws. These don't have to be removed, but they do need to be loosened so that you can "turn" the bulb to pull it out by the base. This will be easy with the OEM bulbs because the base is a right angle connector (giving you some leverage).

However, the HIDs bulbs are "straight base" bulbs and the less tight the retainer ring, then easier will be their insertion (specific orientation vs. the three "wings") and rotation to final set. Therefore, you "think" the passenger side bulb is easy enough to access, but getting the HID bulb in and twisted into place may be more difficult that you expect. After removal of the airbox the driver's side is a piece of cake as they say.

One other thing to watch out for. Before you insert the HIDs, compare the O-ring to that of the halogen bulb. IF the HID O-ring is fatter... remove it and use the OEM O-ring. It is impossible to get the more rotund O-rings "in" and seated properly. If you don't catch this you probably will have condensation problems in your headlamps sooner vs. later.

I have an install picture tutorial for my Magnum SRT8 in the Stealth Auto and Tech Tips forum if you care to look there. The headlamps are different, but similar enough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It seems that all that is holding the bulb in is a metal clip. I undid the passenger side's, and the bulb (including that metal box on the end) slid right out. Looks like I just have to remove the airbox bolt that connects it to the front frame and move it out of the way, along with the power steering box. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
power steering can stay in, I moved mine to place the ballast over behind it.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
This is what the halogen bulbs looked like on the '05 300C we traded for the MSRT8... guess I was wrong about the right angle base, although it is oblong. I certainly didn't recognized anything as a "metal clip" holding the bulb in place...

AND since I mentioned my Stealth Auto install previous, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that these pictures are of another vendor's HIDs. Unfortunately I was never able to get them to work... more my fault than the vendors, but in comparison it was not as easy an install set-up IMO than the Stealth Auto one.

This shows the passenger side OEM bulb in place... glared out are the star screws which hold the plastic retaining ring tight. At the time I used a 2mm allen wrench to get them loose, so I may not have stated the correct star wrench number.

I believe this is the driver's side with the bulb and plastic retainer ring removed...

The dad blamed screw head itself...

The HID head-on showing the difference in the three blades...

Finally, the driver's side light with the HID installed and plastic retaining ring reinstalled...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I actually have a factory installed HID system, so it looks different. I believe I DID see the star screws by the high beam bulbs though. The low beam HID bulbs that I am replacing are model #D1S and look like such:

As far as removing the airbox goes, the power steering resevoir is DIRECTLY behind my bulb. I can't see myself not moving it, since there is only 1/2" working room behind it.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You must be going to a higher color temperature. I have the OEM HIDs on the H.E., but have no interest in changing them. Always did wonder what they looked like under the rubber boot though! LOL

On the MSRT8 I only went with 6000k color, they're a pretty good match to the OEM HIDs, but they appear to be ever so slightly more blue than the OEMs.

Yes, moving the black little reservoir is easy. In fact, with the air box out there is a "made for it" slot in the front of the coolant reservoir for hanging the thing until you're done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah, I did see that and I am going to 6000K bulbs. When removing the airbox, what about that 1/2" thinner tube that goes from the side of the engine, to the airbox? Can I just pull it out of the airbox?

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Yes, it just pulls off. It's the "breather" for any combustible fumes from the crank case (I think!).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worked like a champ. Problem though, Xenondepot sent me 6500K bulbs instead of 6000K like I ordered.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Show us the pix!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will have to get the digital camera up and running. Whatever color it is, it looks pretty f---in sweet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts