Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good question, I was just about to start a thread asking the same thing. I've used plastic trim stuff like Armourall etc but it doesn't seem to last and the white comes through. I was thinking of maybe vinyl wrapping the pillars. I have previously used a heatgun on pvc to get fid of gray stretchmarks but that was a van bumper, dunno it its a good idea next to the windscreen.

Any better ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, I was just about to start a thread asking the same thing. I've used plastic trim stuff like Armourall etc but it doesn't seem to last and the white comes through. I was thinking of maybe vinyl wrapping the pillars. I have previously used a heatgun on pvc to get fid of gray stretchmarks but that was a van bumper, dunno it its a good idea next to the windscreen.

Any better ideas?
I went online and I'm not sure if it's the correct parts but the windshield pillar pieces are like $180 -.- and then the side pillar by the windowa, they sell these 3M covers you apply over. But I don't like that idea to be honest. I kinda want to remove them and possibly wrap them or wet sand them and paint them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Any better ideas?
I went online and I'm not sure if it's the correct parts but the windshield pillar pieces are like $180 -.- and then the side pillar by the windowa, they sell these 3M covers you apply over. But I don't like that idea to be honest. I kinda want to remove them and possibly wrap them or wet sand them and paint them.
I'm just scared is that I would most likely break the pillar pieces apon removal

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Any better ideas?
I'm gonna try this https://youtu.be/iOOnqvDB3Io

·
Registered
160 Posts
The A pillar windshield moulding can be restored with a product called Forever Black. It is a dye product that works great after 3 coats or more. They now sell it in a gel application that is much easier to use than the liquid. Proper preparation is essential. Wetsand with 2000 grit sandpaper and clean thoroughly with a wax and grease remover.

The B pillar moulding is best restored with a compound and polish procedure similar to paint correction. Use a Dual Action buffer with a 3" foam pad and start with Meguiars M105 compound, then M205 polish and finish with your favorite paint protection coating.

You can use the trim gel products mentioned above but they will only be temporary. The processes above will last years, 5 on mine so far, with nothing other than the same routine protection that is applied to the paint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks bm-srt that's good to know. So the b pillars are basically painted and can be treated as such. Gonna have a go sorting mine out then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The A pillar windshield moulding can be restored with a product called Forever Black. It is a dye product that works great after 3 coats or more. They now sell it in a gel application that is much easier to use than the liquid. Proper preparation is essential. Wetsand with 2000 grit sandpaper and clean thoroughly with a wax and grease remover.

The B pillar moulding is best restored with a compound and polish procedure similar to paint correction. Use a Dual Action buffer with a 3" foam pad and start with Meguiars M105 compound, then M205 polish and finish with your favorite paint protection coating.

You can use the trim gel products mentioned above but they will only be temporary. The processes above will last years, 5 on mine so far, with nothing other than the same routine protection that is applied to the paint.

Yeah thank you bro. I'm gonna dip my chrome around the windows and and then restore the pillars that are black. I'm trying to black out the entire car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Try cleaning them up with black paste shoe polish.
The stuff in the little round cans, not the applicator

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try cleaning them up with black paste shoe polish.
The stuff in the little round cans, not the applicator
Never thought of that - used to do that to my 1st car back in 1986!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

For the A pillar what would you recommend for the process of prep and cleaning? Wetsand then use the wax and grease remover afterwards to prep for the forever black?

·
Registered
160 Posts
For the A pillar what would you recommend for the process of prep and cleaning? Wetsand then use the wax and grease remover afterwards to prep for the forever black?
Yes thats what I did. Be sure to mask off the areas around the trim.

Apply at least 3 coats, wait 20 minutes between each coat. If I recall, the best applicator was an old microfiber towel cut into small squares versus the sponge brush that comes with the kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Annie
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing