Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get wheelspin pretty easily but I just want to know how to turn the ESP or traction control off, in case I ever want to do a legitimate burnout (though I haven't tried yet).

·
Banned
2,887 Posts
on the 5.7L you can't turn it all the way off without a modification to the accelerometer.

pushing the ESP off button under the clock will reduce it by about 60%, the only way to kill it is to wire a switch to the accelerometer power line and cut the power to the accelerometer computer.

the accelerometer is a small device under the console that work in conjunction with the ABS system, it detects the yaw and pitch of the vehicle, and the ABS system sensors detect wheel spin, and together they apply the brake to the wheel that is spinning to control traction..

it's a simple mod to do, costs about $5 for a switch, if you make it over for the stereo work, I'll do it at the same time since we will have the console out of the car anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does this work on all years? I have an '08....

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think I'll do the switch thing if it only cost $5. Are there any risks to doing it though, e.g. the risk of permanently disabling ESP or something?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Can the 3.5 turn it off all the way? What about if it's the 3.5 AWD?

·
Banned
2,887 Posts
you can get a switch at any autoparts store.. that's all you need..

as for risks.. the car will throw an error code on the bus and the ESP light comes on (cause you are disabiling the ESP)... to turn it back on you have to turn off the switch and power cycle the car..

I had mine off for a long time, maybe 2 years until my factory wire harness was replaced because of a short in my FCM, I never bothered to reattach the switch after that, didn't cause any issues, except excessive sliding in the rain.. (whoo hoo)

·
Banned
2,887 Posts
Can the 3.5 turn it off all the way? What about if it's the 3.5 AWD?

none of the cars can, the SRT can disable it almost 100%, but it still has some traction control even with the SRT 3 stage disable.

all the car cars except the SRT have the same hardware, the SRT ABS module and ESP programming are different and they use different parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
so what about the "performance mode" trick...coast at about 20mph, turn the ignition switch until you hear the chime and see the abs and esp/traction icons light up...is this also only off at 60%, fully off, or is it all just lights on my dash"?

·
Banned
2,887 Posts
so what about the "performance mode" trick...coast at about 20mph, turn the ignition switch until you hear the chime and see the abs and esp/traction icons light up...is this also only off at 60%, fully off, or is it all just lights on my dash"?

doesn't work on 2005 cars and 2006 cars only for the later builds...

it's the same as using dyno mode with the predator, or the ESP switch from above.. pretty much 100%

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Speaking of the Predator, can't it disable ESP? Or is that just partial as well?

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
the man

Marc "the man" Mr. Incredible already told you that the Predator offers a way to disable it.

Most people are pleased with the standard canned tunes as they push the threshold of intervention way back from stock.

It's important to note that there are several different things going on. The yaw control is very different from the BLD (brake lock differential), and it's all an integrated setup that works together.

Many will be upset to completely disable the system and find that their ABS went away, too!

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I think I'm just gona leave it like it is right now; if it works, don't fix it (a motto I often learn the hard way). I turned ESP off today and traction was pretty bad and wheelspin was super easy, so I think 60% less ESP's good enough for me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
...thanks Mr. I, that's good to know,

·
Registered
1 Posts
on the 5.7L you can't turn it all the way off without a modification to the accelerometer.

pushing the ESP off button under the clock will reduce it by about 60%, the only way to kill it is to wire a switch to the accelerometer power line and cut the power to the accelerometer computer.

the accelerometer is a small device under the console that work in conjunction with the ABS system, it detects the yaw and pitch of the vehicle, and the ABS system sensors detect wheel spin, and together they apply the brake to the wheel that is spinning to control traction..

it's a simple mod to do, costs about $5 for a switch, if you make it over for the stereo work, I'll do it at the same time since we will have the console out of the car anyway.
Can you post pictures ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts