Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately that when I start closing the trunk I see the light in there go on and off, and if I hold it midway it'll flicker. Is that thing using a mercury switch or something else?

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
No its a ground at the lock. When the lock is closed the ground is broken thus turning it off.

When opened the circuit is completed and it turns on.

You can close the trunk and not latch it and the light stays on until latched.

If it is flickering then you might have a short or damaged ground wire in the wire loom on the right side of trunk lid. The one the connects the lid to the car.

Seen that happen on several chargers where that loom gets kinked on closing trunk lid and cuts the wires

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
It's simply amazing. :)

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ew. totally sounds like it. I poked at the rubber duct and the light flickered. *sigh*

Is it hard to fix/replace that?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
get on it!

If you get on it quickly it may be only a little worn through in which case a bit of tape and you're good.

Otherwise get out your splicing kit.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
That sux. It's the small chitty things like this that give American cars a bad name.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know. The transmission o-ring, then the pink thingy, then this.. and for the really unlucky ones suspension problems. :(

I wouldn't trade this car for anything though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 300

What is the deal with the suspension on this thing. Had it in shop twice and it still sounds like it bottoms out on small bumps. Replaced bushings and struts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my trunk lights to work by cleaning and spraying lubricate on the switch under the copper ground strap/clip in the latch assembly. There is copper strap like piece inside the latch assembly next to the part that locks the trunk closed. I started moving that copper piece around and notice that both trunk lights came on while I was moving that copper strap. I sprayed electronic cleaner onto and under that piece of copper to clean any corrosion. Then I sprayed Walmart's SuperTech Lubricate under the copper strap/clip up by the top. There looks like there is piece of metal that the copper strap touches to make a ground and unground so that the lights goes on and off. The latch that holds the trunk down when the trunk is closed, pushes the copper strap/clip onto the piece of metal and caused the light to turn off. When you open the trunk, that latch does not push against the copper piece (and the copper strap/clip does not push against the piece of metal) and the trunk light turns on. I think the metal piece under the copper strap/clip was sticking either opened or closed. After I sprayed the lubricate on and around the piece of metal, and pushed the metal piece a few times with a small screw driver, the trunk light operated normally. Hope this works for anybody else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts