Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for purchase an SRT-8 or a used CTS-V I’m leaning to a new SRT-8. Problem is I really like manual trannys. How good is the autoshift? And is there any plans for a 6 speed to be added in the next year or two?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
All these manumatics are no substitute for a real manual. SMG and paddle shifters like Ferrari are electrohydraulic clutch manuals without a clutch pedal, they are far quicker than even Michael Schumacher and are not to be confused with autostick, tiptronic, or steptronic et.al. which are automatics with varying degrees of manual control. If you want the performance, control, and experience of a manual I don't think autostick will be acceptable. Drive one, see what you think.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Above is all true, however it is to be noted that the more control you have over an auto is better than none at all... imo i rather like the autostick if i can't have a manual.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I own one of the 2002 M3's, with the SMG trans. It's a more precise shift than all the "tiptronic" trans, or the auto in the 300c, which I drove. But, the 300c trans is MORE than good enough for the job at hand.

LJB ;)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Still a mystery..........

The autostick is more of a "enhance the drivers experience thing" it hasn't really proven to help out performance in a straight line, maybe the only real use it to hold the gear in corners, but other than that straight line numbers should remain the same in full auto mode or "autostick mode". ESP off might help you in the 0-60 department.

Autostick doesn't allow you to over rev. it shifts for you before it hits the red.

On a side note my car has blasted threw the red line. I have the old software in my car and the Hemi doesn't sound too confident in the red territory. It's happened about 3 times to me. If your car starts doing that take it in! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts