Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang,

Interesting situation, I had the car washed and while the drying crew was wiping the car down, I happened to notice that the grill was apparently slightly cracked. (Some idiot must not have been looking and backed into me in a parking lot somewhere!) I was wondering, for those people that replaced the grilles on their 300's how hard was the job to do, and what did it end up costing to do. I plan on keeping the stock grille look rather than the custom grilles that everyone seems to be upgrading to. Does the front fascia have to be entirely removed, or can the dealer just go in from the back and put a new grille in? It really bothers me that people just don't seem to care about being careful. (Just venting here!) Any ideas? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
337 Posts
Brian,
Not too difficult, but you will have to pull the bumper away from the grille to access the lower screws. My only concern would be the temperature. I wouldn't want to pull the bumper out when it's cold out. I would maybe wait till spring/summer when the plastic would be more flexible and less likely to crack. BTW, I have my stock grille for sale-PM me with an offer if your interested. You could also have the dealer or a bodyshop install it for you for a reasonable price.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Brian, depending on where the damage is located, another consideration might be a plastic weld repair. Won't cost you anything to take it to a body shop for a look-see. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
gossame1 said:
Hello Gang,

Interesting situation, I had the car washed and while the drying crew was wiping the car down, I happened to notice that the grill was apparently slightly cracked. (Some idiot must not have been looking and backed into me in a parking lot somewhere!) I was wondering, for those people that replaced the grilles on their 300's how hard was the job to do, and what did it end up costing to do. I plan on keeping the stock grille look rather than the custom grilles that everyone seems to be upgrading to. Does the front fascia have to be entirely removed, or can the dealer just go in from the back and put a new grille in? It really bothers me that people just don't seem to care about being careful. (Just venting here!) Any ideas? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto
Brian,

This is not a job for the average (albeit intelligent) enthusiast because you need to remove the front bumper cover entirely, replace the grille and then reinstall the cover. You need replacement parts (fasteners), tools, someone to assist, and lots of towels so you don't scratch anything. The cover has a lot of attachment points, needs to go back exactly right, and frankly, if you've never done this type of work before, this is not the car to learn on.

If there is someone in the forum near you who has done the job, it might make sense to solicit some help. Beerware perhaps?

As far as cost, the part is available from lots of people, including me and they're always for sale (inexpensive) on eBay. You should not buy a new one from DC. That would be a waste of money. The only thing you should get from them are the plastic replacement fasteners. Figure 2 hours labor (however you apply that) to replace a stock grille, taking your time.

Just my opinion, but I've done the job. It's not fun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brian, I live in Delaware, I have replaced my grille. I can give you some tips on how to do it. It's not as hard as most people make it out to be, I have never done anything to my cars except put gas in them, and I was able to do it in about 2 hours. There is no need to take the bumper cover off.

Also, I have my stock grille, if you want it, I can give it to you much cheaper than you would pay anywhere else.

-Glenn

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glenn4dde said:
Brian, I live in Delaware, I have replaced my grille. I can give you some tips on how to do it. It's not as hard as most people make it out to be, I have never done anything to my cars except put gas in them, and I was able to do it in about 2 hours. There is no need to take the bumper cover off.

Also, I have my stock grille, if you want it, I can give it to you much cheaper than you would pay anywhere else.

-Glenn
How did you swap your grille out without taking the front fascia apart?

Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brian, look at this as the PERFECT excuse to replace your grille to a "C" grille!

I would definately say you take up one of the members on their offer to sell their grilles on their C's which have the chrome on the front. The grille is such a big part of the look that even that little chrome makes it look that much more magnificent. Your CV will look even better!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taha24 said:
Brian, look at this as the PERFECT excuse to replace your grille to a "C" grille!

I would definately say you take up one of the members on their offer to sell their grilles on their C's which have the chrome on the front. The grille is such a big part of the look that even that little chrome makes it look that much more magnificent. Your CV will look even better!
Chrome on the front? Mine has chrome on the front around the edges that meet up with the CV fascia.

Brian

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, would a grille for a "C" fit in the base fascia?

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm talking about all the vertical and horizontal bars that make up the grill. I've seen base and tourings and they don't have chrome there, or atleast they look very plasticky. The Limiteds and C's seem to have chrome at the very front.

·
Registered
125 Posts
gossame1 said:
How did you swap your grille out without taking the front fascia apart?

Brian
Brian - The hardest part was getting the bottom screws out of the grille. To do that, you have to pull back the grille...but not too much or the bumper cover will crack. The trick is to have the right tools, a good socket set is helpful.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Taha24 said:
I'm talking about all the vertical and horizontal bars that make up the grill. I've seen base and tourings and they don't have chrome there, or atleast they look very plasticky. The Limiteds and C's seem to have chrome at the very front.
You're correct Taha24, the OEM grill which came on my '300 Touring' only had the chrome around the perimeter and was in fact very 'plastic-looking'...the reason for having my Chrysler dealer replace mine with an E&G custom grill. :cool:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Base, Touring model vs C grill

here's the difference.. the Hemi C grill has plastic chrome in front of the bars..
The touring and base models have the plastic chrome on the edges only.. here's some pic's....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
300cWannaB said:
here's the difference.. the Hemi C grill has plastic chrome in front of the bars..
The touring and base models have the plastic chrome on the edges only.. here's some pic's....
It sure would've been nice if DC also chromed the vertical bars just like they did with the horizontal ones, and maybe I would've considered that one instead. I'm sure that I saw a photo of a fully chromed OEM-type grill on a recent 'roadster concept' photo somewhere here on this forum. :cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Of course i'm right, i'm the idiot who's gone to dealerships and just stared at two 300's for over 10 minutes just seeing what the differences were.

P.S. No, i'm not kidding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts