Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '06 SRT. Recently got a new tstat (203).

How high should the temp get under normal operating conditions?

Today the digital readout read as high as 230

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That is too hot. Did you put the tstat in? Did you make sure the bleed vent hole on the tstat flange is oriented to the top of tstat housing?

Did you lose any fluid changing the tstat? You may want to remove your reservoir cap, warm up the car, let the tstat open and "burp" the cooling system.

Lastly, did your fans come on?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it installed at pep boys about 3 weeks ago.
I notice the fan sometimes when I'm slowing down/parking but it sounds VERY loud.

I didn't mention it in this thread, but there is a small coolant leak by the passengers side which may be the "petcock valve"

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
You brought this up before...at least about the leak. You were advised to take it back to Pep boys...did you?

you also said, they flushed the coolant system, so my guess is there is an air pocket as well, or maybe the system is pretty low since it has been leaking.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've seen 230 on mine several times. Very hot day (100+), crawling in traffic. On the highway, it stays around 202-203.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a stock '06 SRT. Recently got a new tstat (203).

How high should the temp get under normal operating conditions?

Today the digital readout read as high as 230

NB: the digital temp readout in the EVIC is oil temperature, not coolant temperature. 230 is within the normal range.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has not been back to pep boys since the work tstat/flush was done.

The coolant is approx 1 in below the MIN line on the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Start by giving it some fluid as required to place it between the min and max lines. Check for leaks...if none are visible then 'burp' the system. From cold remove coolant bottle lid and start the car (must be cold!), Let car warm up to operating temp (for you 203), she will probably bubble and burp a bit, while running replace the cap and your good. Check your temps again... if your getting constant high temps on an average ambient day 75-80 degs then check your low speed fans are working, from cold start the car and turn on a/c, the low fans should come on within a second or two and run the whole time. If it's good then check the high fans next for operation....those you should hear 10-15 degs above your stat temps.

If your in a hot climate I'd personally pick up a cooler stat like a 180 and grab an old predator or an intune to adjust the fan on/off points. At temps over 195 you are inducing KR and losing power, plus fluids aren't as happy and your car in general isn't happy over 210.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Last night the ambient temp was 60 degrees.
I took the car for a very easy 2 mile drive.
When I got home the CEL had come on, the engine temp was 249 on the digital readout and the engine fan was on "loud mode"

This am I checked and code p2181 has returned.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Any ideas???

Yes, listen to what EVERYONE has told you, you have gave us no feedback on what you have done but keep driving it and ignoring every piece of advice you have been given in the last 3 threads.

Sorry, just needs said....

Reactions: dhoolwerf

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Burp the system to get out any airlocks as I already mentioned, if it still does it then change the thermostat as it sounds like that one is sticking... do yourself a favor and grab a 180... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Who told you that?
If you see this oil can with the thermometer, its oil temp. Sorry its really hard to get a picture of this had to take like 15 before I got almost all of the screen.

With the 2 wavy lines like this its water temp...

My car runs around 230 on oil temp all the time. Unless the OP was talking about in the hidden menu it can read the water temp out in digital numbers....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'd like to thank everyone who has taken their time to help.

Tonight I tried to burp the system:
-Added fluid to raise the level b/t min and max
-left cap off and started engine
-the "engine temp" started @ 50 (the approx ambient)
-after 4 minutes engine temp was 51
-after two more minutes the fan came on and the engine temp was 32???.....the red lightning bolt symbol came on too
-I didn't notice any "burp" this whole time

When I bring the car back to pep boys should I tell them the tstat they installed was defective? Or could there be another problem too?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I'd like to thank everyone who has taken their time to help.

Tonight I tried to burp the system:
-Added fluid to raise the level b/t min and max
-left cap off and started engine
-the "engine temp" started @ 50 (the approx ambient)
-after 4 minutes engine temp was 51
-after two more minutes the fan came on and the engine temp was 32???.....the red lightning bolt symbol came on too
-I didn't notice any "burp" this whole time

When I bring the car back to pep boys should I tell them the tstat they installed was defective? Or could there be another problem too?
The only thing you need to tell 'The Boys' is that the problem started after they worked on the car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pep Boys called and tried to sell me a radiator for $600.

Is it possible that the symptoms I have described are due to a "small leak in the radiator seam"?

When I insisted that the tstat was bad he said it was "dry" and that the issues i'm having could be due to a lack of pressure caused by the leak....... so I should replace the radiator and go from there.

Then I spoke to an asst manager who agreed to replace the tstat but said I was on my own going forward.

What should I do?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I cant tell you if its a leaking radiator or not. A pressure test would tell you if you do have a leak somewhere, you can rent the tool from Autozone or the likes if you are mechanically inclined.

I would also leave pep boys for a more reputable local shop if you can.

What does he mean the thermostat was "dry"? As in there was no antifreeze anywhere and the stat itself was dry? If so you possibly could have bigger problems....

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Well now, any kind of leak is going to be a problem sooner or later. If the location of the leak is below the elevation of the t-stat there won't be any coolant at the t-stat, so it will be "dry".

Do this, dump in a can of Barr's Leak (not into the expansion tank, but directly into the radiator) per instructions on the bottle, top up the system with coolant, and run it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"What does he mean the thermostat was "dry"? As in there was no antifreeze anywhere and the stat itself was dry?"

He later clarified this to mean no leak from the tstat housing.

Per my request they put in a new tstat then tried charging me $46 in shop fees!

He told me to enjoy the weekend and when I have a problem to bring the car back monday AM........

I don't intend to return again....

1. Is there any way that a very small leak can cause a tstat to fail?
2. Assuming that I will have to replace the radiator, what should the job cost parts&labor?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts