Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the front black shield pulled down , tried the clips and tie-downs keeps flopping,,, how important are these things?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm on the hiway a couple of days ago and every little bump I hear a scrapping sound and it's much worse when I'm on the brakes. Of coarse I 'm new to these 300's but have already heard of problems with these. I stop and look under the front and low and behold the skid plate is an inch off the ground and only the 2 back bolts holding it on and they were almost ripped off. I gave it a yank and pulled it out. I'm not planning on putting it back. Not many cars have them so I can't see it being a problem. my car is an AWD. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I think that while it's not absolutely necessary, it's there for a reason or Chrysler wouldn't have spent the $2 or whatever per car to put it there; they could have left it off and saved millions of dollars in costs over the production run but they felt it important enough to spend the money on it.

At the very least it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner when driving in bad weather or thru puddles; and I'm not sure but it may affect cooling and possibly aerodynamics too. On my "C" it is held on by 4 small screws, not plastic clips - - and it only takes a minute to remove at oil change time so it's not a hassle. Why remove it?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think its more for aerodynamics then anything. Im rolling with out it because it fit looser and looser after every oil change. When I drive as low as I do I don't have to worry about aerodynamics! :lick:
I think that while it's not absolutely necessary, it's there for a reason or Chrysler wouldn't have spent the $2 or whatever per car to put it there; they could have left it off and saved millions of dollars in costs over the production run but they felt it important enough to spend the money on it.

At the very least it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner when driving in bad weather or thru puddles; and I'm not sure but it may affect cooling and possibly aerodynamics too. On my "C" it is held on by 4 small screws, not plastic clips - - and it only takes a minute to remove at oil change time so it's not a hassle. Why remove it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem...

I high-centered a couple days ago on someone's gravel driveway and immediately could feel the skid plate flapping on the pavement going home. Jiffy Lube said they tied it back on with some zip ties but it was still flapping immediately after.

I think I am going to rip it off and may/may not replace it. I'm not as low as you are, but pretty low still compared the the SUV I drove before this. Are you sure it is OK to leave it off? Won't the car take more road damage without it? [there are a lot of hills in Tacoma, I have to slow way down coming down them because I scrape in certain places every time if I don't]

I think its more for aerodynamics then anything. Im rolling with out it because it fit looser and looser after every oil change. When I drive as low as I do I don't have to worry about aerodynamics! :lick:

·
Registered
328 Posts
If its installed and secured correctly it will not flap. My outlook on it is. If it was there from the factory, it should stay there, or be put back on. theres a reason for it to be there. its called the belly pan. IMO its probably just there to keep dirt and debris out of the engine bay and away from various components down there. If it was me i would put it back on. But it looks like i wont have that issue anymore. Peep my thread!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
If you had asked me 6 months ago, I would have said that they were just there for aerodynamics and to keep dirt out of the engine bay.

However, after my test runs this week, I have a different opinion. On my 06 SRT8, running with no belly shield, I have been having serious heat issues when running at high rpm on tight road circuits.

For the past 4 weeks, my car has undergone some work - mainly paint and appearance - but I did replace the belly pan and even did some more sealing in the lower areas. My objective was to force air to flow through the grille and the radiator - and reduce options for the air to go around.

For the last 2 days I have been running high RPM tests - +4000 RPM at various speeds and monitoring the engine oil temps.

The results: With the air forced through the rad, oil temps levelled off between 230-240 degrees, even with high revs at slow speeds.

Conclusion: These cars need the belly pan in place for proper engine cooling.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not only that, but have you factored in that all the scratches, gouges and the reason its flopping would have been done to the actual underside of the car instead of some cheap plastic? Keep it there dude - trust me

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would keep it on. Its there to also prevent water from spashing on the engine. I have seen engines seize from alot of cold water hitting the engine.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Its intent is to smooth the airflow under the car. "... engines seized from cold water..." Nah. Cars went without splash shields for a long time. Engines seize from improper lubrication.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's all about the airflow...there is reason why all race car's have flat bottoms. It also helps reduce front end lift at higher speeds.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
While I agree with both of you that it's about the airflow - and Chrysler want to lower the drag coefficient to improve mpg (and their fleet mpg- as per US regulation), I now believe that there is another reason, based on my experiences and recent measurements.

It appears that, at speed, an open bottom on the engine area of a 300 works against air moving correctly through the rad and around the engine to aid cooling.

It is best to keep the shield in place.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
all manufacturers will cut their own throats to save $1 per car...... if it wasnt needed, they wouldnt fit it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Its intent is to smooth the airflow under the car. "... engines seized from cold water..." Nah. Cars went without splash shields for a long time. Engines seize from improper lubrication.

Don't believe me then, I used to be a mechanic and I've seen it only on aluminum blocks. Keep it off and drive thru alot of water and see what might happen

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don't believe me then, I used to be a mechanic and I've seen it only on aluminum blocks. Keep it off and drive thru alot of water and see what might happen
These blocks aren't aluminum. Like I said, cars have driven through water for decades without seizing. I suspect a lot of off-road vehicles bury the running motor in water with no more ill effect than drowning out. I guess very cold water on a hot aluminum block could crack it, but that only becomes a seizure after the oil has run out.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I have seen a starter motor in a 1996 Chrysler minivan without a belly pan that froze up overnight in cold weather after driving through deep puddles. Starter motor wouldn't spin until thawed out with hair dryer.
For whatever reason, belly pans came with our cars - keep them in proper condition.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
can someone tell me the thread count on the bolt that holds the back skid plate in place?
I've had it off for a while now and i'm pretty sure i've lost the original bolts :pat:
........bump...........

·
Registered
258 Posts
Go buy some threaded nut clips and some nice bolts to go with them at Autozone or someplace - I guarantee it will be cheaper than mopar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts