Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news, I dropped off CV this morning for eval of the 55-58 vibration and there is a new service manager :eek: . My "Dog" is gone. This guy was very good, nice and cool :cool: . The new guy seems nice enough but has the personality of a Kleenex and is about as interesting as a door knob. OMG the worst part is he said "I don't know Chrysler very well I just started with them" :eek: I took him for a ride and he felt the vibration and saw it in the mirror. I hope to know by noon. I hope they have sense enough to look up the TSB, I want it documented now in case there is MDS or tranny FUBAR (fouled up beyond all recognition) post warranty. How important is the SVC. manager, the other guys are still there and prolly know there stuff as well as any other (which may not be saying much).

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
II kings, other than having to establish a new relationship I would not be too concerned about the Service Manager replacement. People in these position are more Business Managers and should be skilled in customer service. I would not expect them to know the technical detail.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
joey said:
At the 5 star dealer I go to, the Shop Foreman is the guy that counts.
Interesting... how does the Shop Foreman's job description differ from the Sevice Manager?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Interesting... how does the Shop Foreman's job description differ from the Sevice Manager?
At my dealer, the Shop Foreman is the head guy that works in the garage. I believe all the technicians report to the Shop Foreman. The Service Manager(s) are the guys/gals that work the front desk and deal with the customers.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
joey said:
At my dealer, the Shop Foreman is the head guy that works in the garage. I believe all the technicians report to the Shop Foreman. The Service Manager(s) are the guys/gals that work the front desk and deal with the customers.
That is a novel approach. But you are wrong on the terminology, Joey. Virtually all service departments in all new car auto franchishes are organized the following way:

The Service Manager runs the department. He or she is the most important person there. I make it a point to get to know the service manager. It's a busy, demanding job, but they are required to be accessable to the customers.

Under the service manager may be a dispatcher. This person co-ordinates the the work orders and assigns them to the technicians. Usually no interaction with customers but very important to the technicians.

There will be a warranty claims processor - again, an internal job.

The Technicians who work on your car generally don't interact too much with the customers, but that depends on the management style of the dealership.

Finally, there are the front end people - the Service Writers. These are the folks you talk to when you phone or come in in person. This is a high stress, burn-out job. Some folks have a pre-disposed attitude that all car dealerships are out to screw them and/or are incompetent. Service Writers have little authority. They are the "meat in the sandwich". Turn over is common. Very few have real technical training; they often wrestle with product knowledge on new vehicles. Most of their training focusses on the psychology of customer relations.

I partnered a business a few years ago that trained service writers for dealerships. Well before that, I was general manger of a new car dealership.

Here is my advice. Get to know the service manager. Try to find a good service writer and always go to the same person. DC have a good software tracking system of your vehicle and its service history.

If you change dealerships your records follow you. One final thing. None of these people work for Chrysler.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Ok, I guess that explains it. Looks like what I called a Service Manager is actually a Service Writer. You didn't mention a Shop Foreman. When I asked the Service Writers who was the senior person, I was told it was the Shop Foreman. The guy gave me his business card and it also said Shop Foreman. I guess I never met the Service Manager.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
joey said:
Ok, I guess that explains it. Looks like what I called a Service Manager is actually a Service Writer. You didn't mention a Shop Foreman. When I asked the Service Writers who was the senior person, I was told it was the Shop Foreman. The guy gave me his business card and it also said Shop Foreman. I guess I never met the Service Manager.
If it's a large shop they may have a shop foreman. There still will be a Service manager above him.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
joey said:
I just looked at my last receipt, and they call the front desk folks Service Advisors, instead of Service Writers.
I think many places call them "advisors" now. Keep one thing in mind - the front desk person has very limited authority. If they say "no" to a request, such as updating software, just quietly ask to speak to the Service Manager.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
joey said:
I just looked at my last receipt, and they call the front desk folks Service Advisors, instead of Service Writers.
Joey, yeah in OZ they are called Service Advisors. At the Holden (GM) dealership I have been faithfull to for the past 12 years, about half the Service Advisor positions have been filled by guys from the workshop floor, ie. Mechanics/Technicians. This has been great as they know what they are talking about.

The Service Advisor I deal with the most has got a fair bit of authority. Recently I got quotes for a list of "issues" and I am progressively working through them. I was not happy with their "discounted" quotes and I let them know and the Service Manager said to the Service Advisor, "make sure you look after him". The result was the SA got his calculator out and trimmed about another 30% of the original discounted quotes.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I appreciate you guys clearing this up... I thought for a moment that I might have another "friend" I need to make at my Service Dept.

I have only been in for service once so far and it could / should have gone much better than it did. As I said before, I'll detail my experience at another time... this thread is probably a good place to do so, but let's just say that I am now not only on a first-name basis with my Service Manager, but all my future appts. are to booked directly through him! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
887 Posts
This is probably good advice for everyone. Call the service manager, and make an appointment to go in and talk directly with him/her. There is a real need for a top notch service department in the greater Seattle area - I'll be talking with the Manager at my dealer soon just to make the intro and let him know there are many of us looking for service if they are willing to step up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts