Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300C SRT8 which has the Brembo performance brakes. All along, I noticed a lot of brake dust and actually run the car through the car wash every two days to keep my wheels clean. I have 19,000 miles on the car and the brakes started squeaking about three weeks ago. I took it to the dealer yesterday to check my brakes and was informed that all four rotors need to be replaced as well as all the pads. Total cost for the brake job is $1,600!!!

I was also informed that the rear rotors are on nationwide back order and the dealer needs to keep my car for a week or two until they can get the parts. This makes me think there is a huge demand caused by problematic brakes.

Are other folks only getting less than 20,000 miles on their Brembo brakes?
Is there a harder, less dusty pad that works in the Brembos if i don't really need the high performance brakes?

·
Registered
622 Posts
My rotors are fine but I replaced the pads to the Posi Quiets from Zeckhausen Racing. They produce almost no brake dust. Since I replaced the pads, I can go for over a month before having to clean the wheels of brake dust.
I heard that the rotors were supposed to be covered under a TSB. It depends, however, on which rotors they installed on your SRT to begin with. Mine are slotted. If yours are not then they may be covered under the TSB.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
issues

#1 is relax, there is nothing wrong with your brakes. Most SRT8's wear the rears first, but only a few are shot at 20K. Must be some real tire burning destruction going on, as the traction control will use the brakes a lot (the rears wear out 1st). My car has been beaten on tons, and I have original pads at 27K! They are dusty for sure, but when you need them they are some of the best on any production sedan in the world.

No warranty is involved as Chrysler only warrants brakes for 12K. You must pay. The price of HP. But rotors sell for less than 100 dollars each and the after market has lots of cheaper options for your brakes. So 1600 is a typical dealer rip off.

Note the SRT8 Brembos are the EASIEST brakes in the world to repair/replace. But beware of big differences in pads and performance.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Your rotors are probably fine. Did you get the slotted ones per the TSB?

Eric

·
Registered
544 Posts
This question can only be answered by how you drive your car. If you are a hotrodder: then less than 20K and they will be shot. If you drive normal then 30K to 40K could be expected. I think ahead and drive conservatively and replace pads and rotors at 60K with 30% left on the pads. So it is really up to you......

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving, got about 29,000 miles out of the first rear set, now at 78,000 miles, 49,000 miles later I still have second set of rear pads, orginal rotors, my front rotors and pads went 57,000 miles. I have had the car 2 yers 4 months. (2006 SRT8 300) I also got 56,000 miles out of my last set of RSA's, gives you an idea how I drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky, you are lucky to get all that mileage out of your brakes. I don't hot rod a lot but occasionally I'll have to duel with a Honda 2000 or an AMG just to see...but I didn't get the SRT8 to drive conservatively either. It makes sense about the traction control using up the brakes. I also have had worn front tires and lost a speed sensor on the right front (which was replaced under warranty). Those could have contributed to using up the brakes so quickly. I think I'll check out the Zeckhausen Posi Quiets to get rid of the dust. Thanks for all of your responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts