• 10 years or more..

Votes: 20 69.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Your thoughts? :smashfrea

I think somewhere between 3 and 5 years. The LXes are the only thing the company really has going for them, the RAM trucks don't compare to the new GMs or Fords, and the Caravans? LOL. Way to go Chrysler.

They're probably going to neuter the LX soon, I'd guess by then it's already too late for the company to fix anything. They've already crapped all over their reputation anyway, so nobody cares.

I think right now is a terrible time to be a Chrysler fan, the only car they have that's interesting is under assault, the G8 will probably murder the Charger, and once they only have the 300 left they'll give up on it and go back to making Rams and Cherokees (and poor people rental cars) until they call it quits.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Your thoughts? :...... The LXes are the only thing the company really has going for them, the RAM trucks don't compare to the new GMs or Fords............
I beg to differ on that; I certainly think my '07 Ram compares more than favorably with GM or Ford, or I would have bought one of those! And remember GM's trucks are all new, the Ram is 6 years old now and the upcoming 2009 Ram is SWEET!

As far as how long Chrysler lasts, a lot depends on the general economy, and I predict things are going to get a LOT worse before they start to get better. But Chrysler is in better shape than Ford & GM (the company that lost over THIRTY BILLION ( with a "B" ) Dollars last year!:pat:

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that, however I was looking at this through carlounge colored glasses :p

FWIW I finally left the damn site XD

·
Registered
639 Posts
Jeep and the minivans are still big sellers. I still dont see them going bust anytime soon. They may be sold off in divsions but they will all still exsist.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Man, I'd put my Ram up against anything the others have (and I have :) ). My 300C works better than any other $36K car I've seen. Granted, things look a bit bleak for Mopar, but I'll keep this "C" for a long, long time. The Ram will be traded on an '11 in '13. I've had Chevy and Ford. There is no substitute for my Hemis.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts

My little 1500 pulls that boat (9000lbs) no sweat, no tranny problems and it's got 60K on it now (04).

Them Junky Dodge's!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I definitely see Dodge trucks in northern california way more than ford, toyota's, or nissan's put together. I have seen a few nissan titan's around, but still dodge seems to be the choice around here (especially raised with huge wheels). The chrysler aspen seems to be a favorite among women around here. The 300, and 300c have seem to taken off again in popularity around my area, as I am seeing about 20-25 300s/300c's a day, with about 1 srt thrown in the mix, which is always a treat to see!:arms: When you go to downtown oakland, you see ton's of 300's, it's great. The charger's popularity is off the charts here, I see it, EVERYWHERE. I'd say if I am driving all day around oakland, I will see 40-45 chargers and about 20 magnums. The ford mustang is all over the place as well..... that's why there are so many street races.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
The last time I heard the president of Chrysler speak he was talking about knocking off some slow selling models, building fewer cars and trucks and down sizing or combining dealerships. I think the 300 is safe, the town & country is probably safe, the sebring might disappear and unfortunatly I think the Dodge charger may be in trouble unless the cops keep it alive. Jeeps I don't have anything to base my opinion on and the Ram,though overpriced(for now) will probably not go anywhere. This is my opinion based on tid-bits of media that I read or see here and there. Time will tell.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I'm staying positive here. Not for any particular reason, but I think Chrysler's not going down anytime soon. The 09 Ram's exciting and light year's ahead of Ford and GM trucks. The new independant rear suspension is a first for trucks, not to mention the interior creature comforts. Then there's the 380HP motor.

I also refuse to believe they'll ruin the 300 with the recent rumours. I'm counting on those who attend the round table discussion at SF to tell Chrysler exactly that. They say they're listening and I'll stick with that thought. I also still feel we have the best bang for the buck regardless of which 300 version we own. Chrysler's still king of the mini van too.

Did I say that right Bob and Jim?

Bernie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cerrabus, a venture capitalist group, bought Chrysler for a song. Venture capitalists cut and chop and usually keep the best (most profit potential not necessaily the best road machines) of their subject. The most recent announcement is that Chrysler will be shutting down its marginal Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships and cutting the number of vehicles (all brands) it sells from 29 to about 15. The unions are giving ground and post retirement benefits have been taken off the balance sheet with a big mutli-billion dollar payment to a separate trust so the prospects for Chrysler really haven't looked better for a long time. The objective of a venture capitalist is to take the company from private back to public (shares sold on the national stock exchanges). So in my opinion, the question becomes who will eventually run Chrysler because Cerrabus is definitely going to sell it some day?

All you Viper owners should start smiling because I am pretty confident Viper will go onto the chopping block. The Viper was never a money maker but it was a very good image builder and the VC is more interested in economies of scale right now with image relegated to being a secondary consideration. So those folks that own Vipers will see their values increasing soon, as soon as the production of new Vipers cease. Mike

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot of rumours on the Viper here for sure. Even the SRT Engineers sent mixed signals at the last chat session, saying as long as people ordered it they'll keep building it. The fact that they're hand built makes them so expensive. I actually don't think Chrysler is making a lot of money from any of the the SRT lineup cuz it's catered to a more exclusive and much smaller market. It's the bread and butter cars/trucks that keep them going IMO, and yeah that's the rentals included.

Bernie

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am definetly happy with my new 300C and with my 03 Ram 3500 diesel, as long as Dodge keeps the Cummins motor in the trucks they will do good on thst side of the bus. but they could use a little creativity on the auto side and come out with more hits like the 300's and the new Challenger

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I beg to differ on that; I certainly think my '07 Ram compares more than favorably with GM or Ford, or I would have bought one of those! And remember GM's trucks are all new, the Ram is 6 years old now and the upcoming 2009 Ram is SWEET!

As far as how long Chrysler lasts, a lot depends on the general economy, and I predict things are going to get a LOT worse before they start to get better. But Chrysler is in better shape than Ford & GM (the company that lost over THIRTY BILLION ( with a "B" ) Dollars last year!:pat:
ooo no no GM is in the best shape financially out of all three, projected 186 billion dollars in rev and mid 3 dollars EPS for 09, the other two are alot less, company value is determined by future prospects not the past

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
ooo no no GM is in the best shape financially out of all three, projected 186 billion dollars in rev and mid 3 dollars EPS for 09, the other two are alot less, company value is determined by future prospects not the past
I'll believe that ($3 per share earnings) when I see it. We know what's happened in the past, the future projections are just that - - projections. And 2008 and 2009 are going to prove to be much tougher years than most people realize yet. We will all realize it soon enough.

I won't be buying any new cars anytime soon; I'll be buying silver, gold, and adding to my mining stocks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm staying positive here. Not for any particular reason, but I think Chrysler's not going down anytime soon. The 09 Ram's exciting and light year's ahead of Ford and GM trucks. The new independant rear suspension is a first for trucks, not to mention the interior creature comforts. Then there's the 380HP motor.

I also refuse to believe they'll ruin the 300 with the recent rumours. I'm counting on those who attend the round table discussion at SF to tell Chrysler exactly that. They say they're listening and I'll stick with that thought. I also still feel we have the best bang for the buck regardless of which 300 version we own. Chrysler's still king of the mini van too.

Did I say that right Bob and Jim?

Bernie

I don't think they are going independent. It will be a coil sprung rear with a 4 or 5 link

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts