Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody checking the "diagnostic mode" to determine how low their gas tank read? How low can you go before problems? I just did my first fill up and my readings were:
lt---18
rt---6
For a total of about 3 gallons left in tank when the gas gauge was showing empty...I have to get my gas gauge fixed.

For those who have not done it, you can press and hold the N buttton and the musical note button on the steering wheel for 6 seconds to see this info...

·
Registered
95 Posts
yo you gotta be ghetto not to have gas in the Car com'on now

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of gas; and 0 and 7; are pretty low I'd say. Remember the movie, I think, Dog Day Afternoon, where the judge kept taking his Helicopter out further and futher till.......they call it sport!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had down to 4/0 (half gallon or so) and thought I'd be pushing the rest of the way there. Topped off the tank at 18.6 gallons, so it was real close to vapors. No drivability problems but I was being real light on the gas. Thought I'd have to take a second mortgage for the fill up (that's one advantage of not letting it get so low - doesn't cost so much to fill up).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ya, letting your tank run is stupid. I heard somewhere that its bad for you car.

The longest I wen't is letting it get to 8. Today I was going to put some gas in and before you know it the gauge said 8. I pulled in the drive way at home and turned off the car and it dropped to 7, 6, 5, then 4! I think its because the driveway has a little incline.

I only use Chevron because its a tradition, but there is a Mobil down the road a strech, and I won't risk running out of gas, today I think i'm drinking Mobil!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tasha said:
Out of gas; and 0 and 7; are pretty low I'd say. Remember the movie, I think, Dog Day Afternoon, where the judge kept taking his Helicopter out further and futher till.......they call it sport!
And Justice for All.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Us Northerners pay dearly for runnin' our tanks low in the cold weather. Aside from suckin' up dirt from the bottom of the tank, the air in a low tank will condense moisture creating water in the gas.

At the very least, the engine will run rough or cut out on idle. Sometimes, "white smoke" will come out the tailpipe. Most often, the gasline just freezes with the water.

After you've paid for the tow - expensive (read the manual about towing this car), there's another surprise. The dealer will probably have a big bill for removing, draining, and reinstalling the gas tank.

So, in answer to the question, "Does that thing run far on empty?"

My reply is, "I'm not about to find out." :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is fun to be stopped at a long-winded stoplight, on a downhill slope, with 14 miles to empty. As you are sitting there the sensor in the gas tank starts a countdown: 14 ... 12... 10... ... 8 ... 6 ... 4 ... 2 It really plays with your mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mobmom

I Never Go Below Half A Tank

·
Registered
677 Posts
I ran mine to: Lt: 3 Rt:6 the other day with no issues. EVIC displayed 0 Miles left to drive on current gas and I was 95% sure I was going to have to call AAA for some gas. Got to a gas station using my NAV and filled up. When I unscewed the gas cap, you could hear it gasp for air. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Intrepid had a readout for " distance -to -empty " and average gas milage which I don't see on the 300C. Is it a secret EVIC functio?

·
Registered
437 Posts
dragon said:
My Intrepid had a readout for " distance -to -empty " and average gas milage which I don't see on the 300C. Is it a secret EVIC functio?
Press and release the MENU button until one of the Trip Functions is displayed in the EVIC.
Use the SCROLL buttons to cycle through all the Trip Computer functions.
(p. 149-150 in the manual)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts