Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know how easy it is to destroy these things.... We have gone through 3 of them.

1st was for no apparent reason at about 80 mph, the belly pan and the front lower lip.... original 2 piece, fell off, and in the process pulled the passenger side of the front end off.... i stopped and secured it, after ripping the remains of the belly pan off..... we were over 100 miles from anywhere. Replaced entire front end with one piece unit, and 3 piece black plastic pan and brake vents. Blame ????????

2nd was a parking curb with a long spike on teh drivers side, which removed the now 1 piece front end and ripped every plastic clip and mounting place for the clips. Replaced all of the above again. Blame my boss

3rd was a steep driveway/street transition, did enough damage that I was concerned about another high speed incident if I didn't get it replaced. Replaced all of the above again. Blame ME

BTW, we are both careful drivers, and I never even get close to a parking curb or a curb at all for that matter anymore.

Also, I saved the lower lip and the front end from the original 2 piece front because of some really unique things I found. On the inside of the lower lip are the initials of the guys who built the car along with the dates each of them signed it. Ironic that the only way this would ever be visible is to damage the front end.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Learn how to park or get a wireless camera w/ monitor for the front bumper...

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I've been lucky. Still the same one since new and my wife drives the car sometimes...but not very often. I know one day i'll rip it off as I drive pretty damn hard. That is good information about the signatures...I did not know that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Pulled up to a curb once and didn't even SEE a curb stop in front of a curb...made sure it would clear it but apparaently when i sat in the car it went down enough to catch it.....damn....only pulled the bumper through the bolt but mounted back up fine.....my Dad also pulled his off once on a curb stop....and speak of the devil....my Dad called me 5 mins ago and told me my Mom ripped the whole bumper of his Srt-8 off on a curb stop.....OOPS!!!

Glad i got my Jeep.....no more of that!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we have about 60000 miles on the car already, so one front end per 20000 probably isn't that bad all things considered....

And honestly the first one came off at about 1500 miles with no previous sign of a problem, made a trip from here to Houston and then Dallas then back, and about 100 miles from home it fell off.... and the last stop before that was back in Waco for gas.... about 200 miles behind us. No clue what caused it to decide to remove itself from the car at that time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have went through one on mine, I pulled up too far onto a small parking curb and when I backed off it ripped the part that goes between the spoiler and the belly pan. My fault but it's still irritating.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Still on original....but I did let my best friends wife drive it and she pulled over a park stop....ripped it a little, but all underneath and bolts still intaked. It did piss me off, but S&%@T Happens! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I haven't owned my car for long, but I can see how it would be easy to damage the front facia. It is low enough that it will scrape on any curb. I play it safe and let my cars ass hang out a little bit or I just park in a spot where there is no curb. So far I haven't scraped the front end.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My 300 always had the original but i got the rock chips painted once.....my dad also still has his original...he seems to keep reviving it tho lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
front facia has been replaced three times on mine. The plastic underbelly stuff has been removed. I have high performance zip ties and metal screws holding everything together.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to see some pictures of the way you did that... does the car seem to run any different without the underbelly, and what about the brake ducts? Just would love to see how you have done this, in case my boss decides to take out another one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ya right after i lowered mine i was backing out of my drive way just a little to fast and scraaaaap... :pat: now i have 3 marks down to the plastic... i hate it!

·
Registered
395 Posts
68,000 miles and two years! No new front ends, however, caught the driver's side on a low curb and ripped the corner off, just had it fixed at the dealership. They welded the plastic! Real low though, does the challenger have more clearance? I think that half an inch would make a hugh difference! (yeah I know most guys would be more happy with 2 inches!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts