Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic oil and I was wondering how often I should change it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use Mobile1 and still change my oil every 3000 miles....even though it says you can go 5000 miles plus. Changing early never hurts, and its only $40....well worth it to me to keep my engine in top condition.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I can't argue with ink, I use syntec 5w20 for now and change at 6K, my X5 also used syntec and had a 15K inerval, it was leased and had free maintanence so I went with 15K which is what the stealership recommended too, follow the book. I am a M1 fan so now that 5w20 is available I will switch as soon as my cases of syntec run out that I got for $3.48/qt. I also use Filtermag and a drain bolt magnet.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
What's interesting Kev is that most manufacturers e.g Honda call for 7500 intervals Non synthetic which I would not do. When M1 first hit the shelves they had on thier bottle 25,000 miles. They have since backed iff but Amsoil claims 25K on thier series 2000. Anybody going to try this with thier hemi?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sheesh.

Read your owner's manual. Understand it. Follow it. If you don't understand what it says, ask your dealer - or better yet, ask here.

Bottom line?? Better change it at 3,000 mile intervals, if you want your warranty.

End of discussion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not all synthetics have extended drain capability. Mobil 1 didn't till recently, and they still sell their regular syn that doesn't.

I became an Amsoil dealer to buy for myself, but have sold to many others and sponsored several to the "business". I believe in synthetic and will change to Amsoil the first change on my 300C. I will also follow the factory recommendations for my driving style till I am out of warranty. That is the best way to guarantee that you won't have a hastle if something happens.

Beyond the warranty, I have had several cars and trucks that I put on a bypass filter and take Amsoil to 25,000 miles and beyond. Oil analysis shows that the oil was still almost as new and I have had zero build up, or problems from this practice, with one engine approaching 200,000 miles and several well beyond 100,000 miles.

Don
Illinois
300C RWD Magnesium

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Don, could you comment on the Amsoil XL 7500 series 5w20 which is the only one they make for our car with a measly 7500 interval unlike thier 100% synthetic series 2000. I have both and the XL7500 is not listed as a full synthetic. My engineer friend uses the Amsoil bypass in his S2000 and a pre lube but will not use the 7500 series oil, only the 2000 series.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I plan on changing my mobil 1 synthetic oil every 3000 miles just like any other oil, but what kind of Oil filter should I use? I'm going to buy alot of oil and filters now because I will be having my dealer change my oil but I'm bringing my own so I know they use the right stuff. It's also cheaper that way. I just need some help on what filter to use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Mobil One oil filter has great spec's. I would not use the K&N. It does not have a one way valve built into it, as even the cheapest filters have.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So long as it's not FRAM you're prolly okay. The Pure One from Puroilater is supposed to be pretty good. I think some of the gearheads like another one called the "Hard Driver". And IIRC, Napa makes a high-end filter also.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Dixietwister said:
The Mobil One oil filter has great spec's. I would not use the K&N. It does not have a one way valve built into it, as even the cheapest filters have.
I also don't like K&N because of a "Resin" in the filer media listed on the label. I don't want my oil exposed to some mystery resin and floating through my cylinders. Remember the Arco graphite oil with all those black particles. AVOID FRAM.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where can I find 5w20 Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter? How much are you guys paying for Mobil 1 synthetic oil? They had it on sale at target this past weekend for $4.25 a quart but they didn't have 5w20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
teebag

II kings 9:20 said:
Don, could you comment on the Amsoil XL 7500 series 5w20 which is the only one they make for our car with a measly 7500 interval unlike thier 100% synthetic series 2000. I have both and the XL7500 is not listed as a full synthetic. My engineer friend uses the Amsoil bypass in his S2000 and a pre lube but will not use the 7500 series oil, only the 2000 series.

Sorry to reply so late guys, I just found you. The XL is a full synthetic and is guaranteed for 7500 or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by oil moniter systems. I don't blame your friend, if something better is available, use it. The series 2000 AMSOIL is 0w/30 and warranteed for 35,000 miles or one year. I own two Hemi's and I run 0w/30 in both because I also like to run the BEST. Don't listen to all the hype from TV ads. I've been using these products for 28 years. No imported oil, better mileage, and your equipment will last longer. The oil companies get enough of my money with regular at $3.00 a gallon here in California. Mobil is bragging about 15,000 miles and I have 68,000 miles on my Hemi truck with two oil changes and 4 filters changed. My oil is cleaner than any of yours and has used only 2 quarts. Don't forget that Mobil and Castrol are two of the largest oil companys in the world, that is oil, petroleum. They will build the least to pass specs that they can. Whatever they can get by with, with out spending more, always have, always will.

Sorry to get on the soap box guys, but there is too much BS out there. I've been in the performance and racing business for 25 years and watched a little guy in Wisconsin who started out of the trunk of his car become a giant killer because he had the conviction to make the very best product 33 years ago. Just think how much oil would be saved if just the "car guys" would save 5 oil changes a year using a better product and guess what, they also got better mileage.

By the way. If your engineer friend doesn't get 100,000. miles out of his oil with that by-pass filter than he is wasting his oil.

If any one wants to contact be besides this forum it's [email protected] Enjoy those toys and save some oil for gasoline.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would caution anyone thinking about doing anything OTHER than what is specified by DaimlerChrysler in the owners manual to carefully consider what the implications are in terms of warranty coverage.

If you extend the oil change interval beyond that specified (every 3,000 miles for nearly everyone) and you have anything go wrong that could end up being lubrication-related, you're likely to be on the line for the cost of the repairs.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I am a huge proponent of synthetics, however, if you are going every 3K might as well use regular, I go 6K with synthetic. Just changed it yesterday with M1 5w20 and the M1 filter. You are right CG, those idiots are masterful at denying warranty claims. They are very cunning linguists, they word the manual in such a way that if you don't change at 3K, you might as well not have a warranty.

·
Administrator
14,585 Posts
teebag said:
I have 68,000 miles on my Hemi truck with two oil changes and 4 filters changed. My oil is cleaner than any of yours

Sorry to get on the soap box guys, but there is too much BS out there.
Too much BS out there...no kidding! This subject has been hashed over to the point that the dead horse we flogged got pulverized. No one in their right mind is going to do anything other than to follow their manual's recommendations regarding oil type and change intervals. Those who are not in their right mind risk warranty issues. I thought the oil thing had been buried. Have some respect for the dead.

Rambit

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
kangol99 said:
where can I find 5w20 Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter? How much are you guys paying for Mobil 1 synthetic oil? They had it on sale at target this past weekend for $4.25 a quart but they didn't have 5w20.

Where I live both Autozone and Wal-Mart have the Mobil 1 5w20. It's 3.96 a quart at Wal-Mart, and $5.29 at Autozone. Big difference considering it takes 7 qts. Autozone has the Mobil 1 filters , I dont think Wal-Mart does. I've always used the NAPA Gold ( same as WIX) filters but I think I'm going to get a Mobil 1 filter and cut it open and see what's in there for myself.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I can't argue with ink, I use syntec 5w20 for now and change at 6K, my X5 also used syntec and had a 15K inerval, it was leased and had free maintanence so I went with 15K which is what the stealership recommended too, follow the book. I am a M1 fan so now that 5w20 is available I will switch as soon as my cases of syntec run out that I got for $3.48/qt. I also use Filtermag and a drain bolt magnet.
Hi, II kings. Ever do a post-mortem on any of your filters on your new C to see if they were in fact finding metal particles to trap? And is your drain bolt magnet catching anything of note? If so, how's your current Hemi compare to other motors you've used the magnets on?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Dynodon,

I am not sure where you got your info on Mobile 1, but I don't think that it is correct. I own a 2001 Vette, which came from the factory with Mobile 1, and the owners manual says that the oil change interval can be as long as 15000 miles, depending upon driving conditions. Based upon that, I would say that Moble has had extended driving capability since, at least 2001.

Phil

1 - 20 of 29 Posts