Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In order to add a little more exhaust note to the quite SRT, I decide to experiment with the active exhaust valve.
It is a simple spring loaded close valve that actuates aprox 90º when enough exhaust gas is passing thru to force the valve open, according to some it happens at about 4k rpm at full throttle.

Since it is spring loaded close, you can easily turn the spring to make it spring loaded open.

In order to do that you are gonna have to jack the rear of the car from the driver’s side, since the springs are pointing towards the left side of the vehicle and the valves are located underneath the rear passenger footwell.

Once you got access to it, all you gotta do is turn the far left end of the spring 4 clicks in the clockwise direction. As the picture shows there are 4 slots on the valve end shaft, you need to disengage the spring from the slot, push it in as far as you can and rotate the spring end to the next slot clockwise, until you have returned to the same position, but now you have one full turn on the spring and it is keeping the valve in the open position with a good spring force. I mostly used my hand to disengage and rotate the spring, but at some position a needle-nose pliers can help.
Repeat for the adjacent valve and you are done.

It is definitely another car when it comes to sound, much more aggressive from idle to parcial throttle and it is not vicious when MDS kicks in, there is a little drone, but I actually liked it and the best part of it all is that if you don’t like it, just put the spring back where it was.

Enjoy!

·
Have to be odd to be No.1
7,943 Posts
As much as that sounds awesome, I think with the resonators already chopped off it might be to loud.
Are you planning the chop on yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As much as that sounds awesome, I think with the resonators already chopped off it might be to loud.
Are you planning the chop on yours?
I did the resonator delete recently and hate the flutter of the exhaust valve! I'm going to the garage to try this spring thing right now! haha! Here is a video of just the rear resonator delete though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I did it! I went from stock, to resonator delete, to resonator delete + valves welded open! I couldn't get the clip to budge like it says above, my 4 corners are actually welded shut to hold the pin better so I decided to just pay a guy $20 and weld a little piece of metal on! I have attached a comparison video I made of the process.

Also check out my 3 phases of the exhaust video too so you can really see the difference in the sound!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts