Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in extreme Northern California, about 1.5hrs from the Oregon border. I have 3 Chrysler dealerships in a 50 mile radius. I have been to all three and only one had a HEMI on the lot. It was loaded with everything I would want but was a bad color for my taste (Silver). So it seems they are pretty scarce in these parts. Incidently, all 3 Dodge dealers had ZERO Magnums R/T, in fact 2 dealers had NO Magnums at all. They cant keep them in stock for more than a couple of hours. :eek:

So, with that being said, every salesman that I talked to basically told me straight up that dealers are selling these puppies at least a $1000 over MSRP and in some cases much more. Im in sales and I know the salesman talk. However, its hard to argue with supply and demand.

I see so many posts on this board about folks getting these cars at somewhere in between invoice and MSRP. This leaves me scratching my head.

The 300C that I looked at and liked (except color) was priced MSRP at $37900. It had nothing added to it like bigger wheels or special grills. It was loaded tho. I had everything but HID and Walnut. The salesman was confidant that it would be sold by the next morning (I was there at closing) at over MSRP.

Basically am I missing something here? Do I need to travel to a larger market like Sacramento, Reno or even SF? I mean, this salesman basically made it sound like I shouldnt even try to deal because there are 3 people in line behind me wanting the car and are willing to pay what it takes.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you cant find a dealer in the general area at least willing to work with you at msrp level, save your self the mark up and talk to some dealers outside the state of a little furthur away and spend that money on a one way ticket and drive it back..

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well, just to give you an idea, I am in Ohio and am currently working on a deal to close hopefully at invoice. The dealer had limited Cs in stock but a TON of Magnums. This car seems to be very varied in terms of pricing dependent upon the area of the country. One thing you will run into if you are looking to buy off the lot is more limited options now that the 05's are done with ordering. (So you either take what you can find which is what I am considering, or wait until the 06's roll of the line) In my case, my trade in value is a big concern which is why the time issue is there. I have no idea what it costs to ship a new C but it might be an option to shop around outside of your local region to get a car at/near invoice and have it shipped in. Your local dealers can and will still provide service work. I'm guessing you're like me in that you've been bitten by the bug and want the car yesterday but also want to find the best deal possible. And believe me, just about EVERY salesperson will tell you that there are people waiting in line behind you to buy any C you look at. They've got a hot car and can say that without looking like a total con artist.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If SF is a possiblity, I'll order one at sticker for you. I'd imagine that a local dealership would order one for you at sticker, though. You don't really have to get on a plane to fine one.

RT

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Bilbo,

Do a search and enter "southfield".
There are several members from out west who purchased their Cs in michigan.
There are several threads regarding this issue. Some got thier cars in other states but I only remember the "Southfield" ones in particular.

GLuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rt4 said:
If SF is a possiblity, I'll order one at sticker for you. I'd imagine that a local dealership would order one for you at sticker, though. You don't really have to get on a plane to fine one.

RT
Forgive my inexperience as I have purchased 4 cars in the past but they had all been at least 6 months used. Unitll the 300C I swore I would never buy a NEW car because of the quick depreciation.

What do you mean by Sticker? Is that invoice or MSRP? Im sure that I can beat my salesmen over the head enough to swing one at MSRP but I want to go lower than that, if possible, like I have heard others doing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, sorry, can't help you below MSRP.
*slight rant* There's only about $1,800 in profit between invoice and MSRP. I think $500 over invoice is reasonable for most good new cars. You're only talking about saving $1,300 on a $37,000 car. (From sticker to 500 over) I really don't understand why people go through so much trouble for a measly grand, like dealing with someone many states away, flying and shipping and re-smogging...... but maybe thats just me. *rant over*.

You can use fivestar.com to search for 300Cs in stock, but remember a few things:
1) Sold order show as "in stock".
2) A vehicle on a train just outside the factory shows as "in stock".
3) A vehicle recently sold will show as "in stock" for a few days.
Secondly, depreciation has to do with what you pay for the vehicle, and why type of vehicle it is. You're going to loose MUCH less money on a new 300C than on a used full-sized SUV that you bought 2 years ago.
Good luck!
RT

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, in southern California it's more than $1300, as the dealers are still gouging.

I'm one of those that bought from Southfield Chrysler. I used fivestar.com to search inventories, then requested a quote using the links on the site. I exchanged emails with several dozen dealers before getting the deal I got (invoice - 1% - $1000). I flew to Michigan and drove it home.

The Midwest has many 300Cs - I found dealers with as many as 25 in stock while I was searching.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Profit between MSRP and invoice doesn't change, regardless of where the car is shipped.
Flying to Michigan and driving all the way home for the difference between MSRP and invoice (~$1,800) is not something I would do, but to each his own.
RT

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you do not have to fly if you do not wish. You can negotiate with the dealer to have it shipped to you for less than the flight and drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts