Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew how to disable the MDS system???
My current mods are magnaflow catback, K&N cai, poweraid tb spacer and superchips. when i got my exhaust i was crusing like at 55 or 60 mph and all of a sudden i heard my exhaust sound changed i was like wtf then i remember about the mds system crap.
BTW i love my magnaflow except when the mds kicks in lol

Reactions: Gearhead Trish

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
easy

My current mods are magnaflow catback, K&N cai, poweraid tb spacer and superchips. when i got my exhaust i was crusing like at 55 or 60 mph and all of a sudden i heard my exhaust sound changed i was like wtf then i remember about the mds system crap.
Two ways are easy.

#1 is run in autostick mode. MDS will not engage.

#2 is with Diablo. You'll like what it does to your car!

Third way is expensive. New cam and lifter setup.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Two ways are easy.

Can i get a 6.1 cam? but it says that you have to get non mds lifters to make it to work. it says that you'll gain 22-27 rwhp with that cam.
oh and sell the superchips and buy a diablo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two ways are easy.

I just ordered a diablo, im getting it on monday:biggrin: . Know i can disable the MDS crap lol.. what other mods can i get for my car????

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
mods

I just ordered a diablo, im getting it on monday:biggrin: . Know i can disable the MDS crap lol.. what other mods can i get for my car????

If you get a Diablo you'll probably want a proper intake (AFE II) and a good exhaust. Many here remove the resonators with happy results.

Then next is cam and heads, but you would probably like one of the aftermarket cams better than a 6.1. Check with our vendors here, they are very experienced. We have many 5.7's that can really run!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm with you, Bro. If I wanted a four banger, I would have bought a used Neon. V8 power/American muscle. Who ever thought of this MDS should be shot. It's like NASCAR, with those dumb ass restrictor plate races. Why choke off the motor. Let 'em race. So they go 220 mph. Big deal. When I pay money to see a race, let them go all out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are paying money to go to a NASCAR event, you ain't paying to see a race. NASCAR ceased to be racing many years ago (1965) when they outlawed the original HEMI because the GM and FORD boys whined about getting beat so much. Since then NASCAR has become nothing more than a contrived show of virtually identical cars. The cars all look the same (gotta fit the template, you know) and they are all powered by virtually identical engines (we can't have some sharp engine designer making a little more horsepower than someone else, now, can we? Shades of the 426 HEMI all over again.) The might as well call it IROC.

The words "NASCAR" and "racing" should never be used in the same sentence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never been to a NASCAR race. I was speaking in generalities about paying good money. Your comparison to IROC is perfect. What a joke. Racing should be about innovation, new ideas, maybe a little cheating, all in an effort to give the fans some fun and excitement. These cookie cutter cars
are boring. Let them race.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed the diablo and DAMN it felt alot better and now im shifting at 6400 and took the damn MDS off and now it responds alot better than with the superchips. BTW whats the difference between 93 performance tune and the 93 CAI tune??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just raced my friends 07 silverado RCSB with LT headers with ory pipe+gibson exhaust, K&N cai, pulley, 373 gears, and HP Tuned. and i beat him like 2 1/2 trucks!!! BTW he used to beat me for half a truck but not now lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
MDS disabled? Possibilities

I have a 1951 Plymouth with a 2006 Dodge Charger Hemi engine I put in. This is a little different post from you regular users - but I'd like to add my two cents.

First the 2066 Hemi I put in has only 1,500 miles on it. I got and the engine, tranny, and all the electronics as a drop-out from Cleveland Pick-a-Part. The swap took some time and quite a bit of "fooling" all four computers in the driver train and electrical system. However, I've been successful so far.

I have Stainless Steel headers dumping into 3.5" collectors, going into 2.5 inch exhaust with an X-pipe exiting the car in front of the rear wheels.

Now, here is the point, the car sounds great - except when the MDS cuts in - then it sounds like crap. The exhaust note drops to half the frequency and sounds really raspy and sick sounding. (The car runs really strong so far but I haven't taken it to the strip yet so I don't have a timeslip).

I read the four cylinders that de-activate (with an exhaust charge in them) are controlled by four solenoids. You can simply unplug the black 6-pin electrical connector at the rear of the intake manifold to completely deactivate them. I'm sure this will set a check engine light. Also, on the 6-pin plug one of the five wires (#6 on the connector) wire is the common ground return. I think you could put a switch in that line and deactivate at will. If anyone is interested - I can check that out on my car. For my car I'm going to leave the connector unplugged.

For my application I'm not worried about the gas mileage. The responsiveness and sound are terrible with MDS. I have a feeling the stock exhaust and resonators are so restrictive that if you can't hear when when MDS kick-in or out shows how restrictive the stock exhaust really is.

Since I don't have to worry about the EPA in my '51 I have a little more flexability than most on this forum. I've discussed this with outhers and my feeling is you're (we're) not going to loose much in mpg with MDS dieactivated. Does anyone have real numbers? Does anyone have an idea of improved mpg with a little free-er flowing exhaust?

Anyway - those are some ramblings from a new Hemi owner, user and tuner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
.....now im shifting at 6400......BTW whats the difference between 93 performance tune and the 93 CAI tune??
Errr... shifting at 6400Rpm is not going to be a good process for long. Your car is well and truly not pulling much over 6K in any gear (it just seems to in 1st as it gets there so damn quick!) and the potential damage is not going to be a nice one to face. The 6400 shift is more geared for the 6.1's which can utilize the rev's more and handle the high rev's. I'm not saying that tomorrow your car will blow in half, but I am saying that after playing with mine... alot!... you aren't gaining anything (trust me) and you are risking some valve issues (they float hard at those revs!).

Now as for the tunes... 91CAI worked better for me than either 93oct tune. It just depends on the gas you run through her and the KR you get when you start playing with the 'custom tuning'.... 93 isn't a miracle drug to give you more power, it just harmonizes everything that much better with that grade of fuel.

Have fun with your Diablo... just be careful as it will do as much damage as you allow it to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MDS disabled? Possibilities

I have a 1951 Plymouth with a 2006 Dodge Charger Hemi engine I put in. This is a little different post from you regular users - but I'd like to add my two cents.

First the 2066 Hemi I put in has only 1,500 miles on it. I got and the engine, tranny, and all the electronics as a drop-out from Cleveland Pick-a-Part. The swap took some time and quite a bit of "fooling" all four computers in the driver train and electrical system. However, I've been successful so far.

I have Stainless Steel headers dumping into 3.5" collectors, going into 2.5 inch exhaust with an X-pipe exiting the car in front of the rear wheels.

Now, here is the point, the car sounds great - except when the MDS cuts in - then it sounds like crap. The exhaust note drops to half the frequency and sounds really raspy and sick sounding. (The car runs really strong so far but I haven't taken it to the strip yet so I don't have a timeslip).

I read the four cylinders that de-activate (with an exhaust charge in them) are controlled by four solenoids. You can simply unplug the black 6-pin electrical connector at the rear of the intake manifold to completely deactivate them. I'm sure this will set a check engine light. Also, on the 6-pin plug one of the five wires (#6 on the connector) wire is the common ground return. I think you could put a switch in that line and deactivate at will. If anyone is interested - I can check that out on my car. For my car I'm going to leave the connector unplugged.

For my application I'm not worried about the gas mileage. The responsiveness and sound are terrible with MDS. I have a feeling the stock exhaust and resonators are so restrictive that if you can't hear when when MDS kick-in or out shows how restrictive the stock exhaust really is.

Since I don't have to worry about the EPA in my '51 I have a little more flexability than most on this forum. I've discussed this with outhers and my feeling is you're (we're) not going to loose much in mpg with MDS dieactivated. Does anyone have real numbers? Does anyone have an idea of improved mpg with a little free-er flowing exhaust?

Anyway - those are some ramblings from a new Hemi owner, user and tuner.
The MDS does increase fuel economy quite a bit mine usually goes up about 8 or 9 mpg while its active. But the sound comming from my borla exhaust is terrible when it does. It sounds like a sick 3.0 litre running on 4 or 5 cylinders vs the full 6. And it's a v8 so it should not sound that terrible.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The MDS does increase fuel economy quite a bit mine usually goes up about 8 or 9 mpg while its active. But the sound comming from my borla exhaust is terrible when it does. It sounds like a sick 3.0 litre running on 4 or 5 cylinders vs the full 6. And it's a v8 so it should not sound that terrible.
You're responding to a twelve-year-old thread. I think he's probably already made up his mind on whether or not he should disable his MDS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what do people who suggested unplugging the solenoids think the cylinders are going to do with no fuel being injected?

dosn't mds disable the fuel inject too?

if trying to save fuel, and the computer disables the cylinders, why would it just keep spraying fuel in unfired cylinders?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts