Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys sound proof, do you remove the trunk carpet, wheel well carpet etc and replace on top of the dynamat. The rear deck seems a no brainer, what about the trunk lid, the liner is riveted with plastic, do you do that as well. I am ready to go for it, need some expert advice or any advice will suffice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In my experience you have to remove everything down to the bare paint. The sound deadening won't stick to carpet and the purpose is to change the resonant frequency of the rattle. It doesn't actually remove the sound...just changes the frequency. Basically higher tones are easily heard which is that annoying rattle caused by pressure needing to go somewhere. The Dynamat (or whatever your choice) makes the metal "heavier" by adding mass. This makes the noise a lower frequency and not as easily heard.
So in summary, put the noise deadener on the metal and the choice for appearance(carpet,vinyl etc.) is up to you.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
How much weight does a full Dynamat install add? When I say full install, I'm referring to the type of install that Joey linked to above.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joey said:
Here are some pics of Dynamat being installed.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/657827/3

I know the owner of this car is a 300CForums member, I just can't remember his screen name.
Joey, that is an incredible amount of work and money, I am sure it works well but I think I may just do the trunk for now. Seems if one goes to these lengths why not replace the astroturf mouse fur carpet with Wilton wool ar other high quality material as long as the seats and carpet are already out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Raammat

Just a suggestion, it seems that people have answered your questions regarding the application.

My suggestion is, to use a sound deadening material called Raammat. The reason is, it is VERY flexible, sticks amazingly, and works excellent.

The car I had before I took delivery on my 300C, was a 1996 Impala SS, and i used to compete. The Raammat is the best stuff ive ever used! Google it for more info :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Anything is cheaper than Dynamat.

Fatmat, Raammat, Brown Bread, Second Skin are all competitors and equally as good in my opinion. Go with whatever is cheapest.

I picked up 100sq ft of fatmat on ebay for $99. A 36sq ft pack of dynamat xtreme is $100.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Oh to be young again and have that much time on my hands and money I don't know what else to do with!!

Yeah, that looks like a helluva lot of work!

·
Registered
196 Posts
too much work and a lot of pounds.. not sure how much is needed to cover the entire car like BB did... but the trunk took about 40 square feet.. I can find the pounds on that later on tonight when I get home... the whole car... hmmm I would say 200 pounds??? its a lot...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tha187um said:
too much work and a lot of pounds.. not sure how much is needed to cover the entire car like BB did... but the trunk took about 40 square feet.. I can find the pounds on that later on tonight when I get home... the whole car... hmmm I would say 200 pounds??? its a lot...

Yep, have to agree here, when my impala was finished (doors, floor, firewall, roof, trunk), it added close to 200 lbs.. give or take.

Again, i cant say enough about raammat, what i can say is, stay away from Normal Dynamat.. its impossible to work with and doesnt stick well at all. Like Rogue said, the brands he mentioned are all viable options. I can only speak for Raammat. I worked at circuit city and picked up dynamat extreme at a discount, so the cost was offset. However, I still found that the Raammat was much more flexible, stuck better and produced the desired effect. I think my cost was, if i remember correctly, 70 sqft fot 99 bucks shipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts