Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very common problem that happens due to bad design of the outer door handle .. the handle snaps at the point where it hinges (towards the front of the car, ie). Replacement handles are around 70eu each so not cheap, but luckily can be repaired quite easily.

Firstly get your handles out of the car .. theoretically the can be fixed in place but the probability of making a mess increases dramatically!

If you look at the snapped bit, it is simply a plastic connection between the handle and the hinge, the plastic has a squarish crossection with a round hole in the middle. The hole diameter is around 5mm, so a 5mm rod is needed - I used stainless steel (which is very difficult to work with), aluminium is probably more suited to the task.

You need to create a slug about 14.5mm long and 5mm diameter, I did this using a rotary tool (dremel) to cut the rod to the right length. I also scored the whole surface to help the glue hold it in place better.

Before gluing anything, test fit .. make sure the handle and hinge can take the slug and assemble neatly, in my case the hinge end needed a bit of internal sanding (again with the dremel) to get the right diameter.

With that done, fill both sides with epoxy glue, put in the slug, assemble and then cut off any excess epoxy before it hardens. This is best done with the hinge disassembled, this is quite easy, just lever out the internal bit (which is broken and you're fixing) using a screwdriver.

The end result should be stronger than the original hing .. i'm fitting mine tomorrow will report on how it went :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It worked out fine, actually, no problems at all.

I suspect that if my handles were to break again, they wouldn't break from where I fixed them but from somewhere else now :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts