Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my good fortune for anyone who is interested (and willing to work) in buying an SRT8 for MSRP.

1. Go to cars.com/buy a car section
2. Choose the SRT8 with all of your desired options
3. When finished, select the option to receive quotes from up to 3 dealers
4. Use the back button on your browser and continue to select dealers until your heart's content (I selected all dealers in a 250 mile radius...approximately 100 dealers or so)
5. Sit back and get ready for your computer and phone to light up
6. When the dealers call or write you...explain to them that "I know this is a very limited production automobile and I understand that many dealers are asking for over the MSRP, but I am not willing to pay over MSRP for the car. I am prepared to wait until you are willing to sell me the car for MSRP".
7. BE FIRM...stick your guns. 99% of dealers chuckled and explained they couldn't meet my request. Most dealers were planning on adding 4k to 5k to MSRP. Some planned on 10k to 15k. One dealer quoted me 25k over MSRP.
8. Be sure to get a VON. Also, be sure the dealer puts in writing that your vehicle is allocated to his dealership. When asked to place a deposit, leave yourself an escape clause (i.e. If the car isn't here by ....... then I can receive my full deposit back.) Get everything in writing.

In my entire search, I found two dealers that were willing to sell me the car for MSRP. I put my order in last week and I am sitting on my VON for one of the dealer's allocated cars. It took some hard work, but it was fun (in my opinion) to find the best deal.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Good advice. Is your down payment refundable?

Dan

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't think they can be had at this point for MSRP, at least not in Ca.
I didn't try 250miles, I tried a 100miles about 2weeks ago. No such luck.
They all laughed. If I had tried about a month ago, I would have got it.
Still trying. :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
qictrk said:
I don't think they can be had at this point for MSRP, at least not in Ca.
I didn't try 250miles, I tried a 100miles about 2weeks ago. No such luck.
They all laughed. If I had tried about a month ago, I would have got it.
Still trying. :(
Heck, if you really want the car try 500 miles and have a nice drive home after picking it up ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Great post silver!

to those in SoCali
the world is a smaller place! SilverSRT8 had it right. be willing to go outside of cali, even if it's half way around the country. I'm sure you can find a dealer selling it cheaper w/delivery than what you will find in your neck of the woods.

the best to all!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Congrats.... but, unless the dealer has unordered allocation (usually in the first or second week of the month) then allocation is purely speculation. He has no idea what he will be allocated in March, for April production, and orders were due a long time ago in Feb for March production.
I'm sure you chose a large, 5-Star Chrysler, Dodge AND Jeep dealership (called an "alpha point"), and they will eventually be allocated an SRT-8. But, no dealership in the country has "allocation" right now for an SRT-8. It may sound like a question of semantics, but I just don't like dealers saying they'll get allocation, when they have absolutely no guarantee of that. In the long run, though, I'm sure you'll get your SRT.
RT

·
Registered
152 Posts
RT4- If a dealer has a sold order, does this have anything to do with allocation or do sold orders get filled first, then do they dole out the allocated cars?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sold orders have priority when you get allocation. But having sold orders does NOT increase allocation....anymore. It used to a few years back.
RT

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
rt4 said:
Sold orders have priority when you get allocation. But having sold orders does NOT increase allocation....anymore. It used to a few years back.
RT
What if a dealer has 10 sold orders waiting for allocation. He then gets an allocation for 4 cars. Who decides which of the 10 buyers get the 4 allocated units? I would hope Chrysler would assign the 4 allocated cars to a VON/customer name on a first-come, first-serve basis, and not let the dealer make the decision. If the dealer gets to decide who gets the 4 allocated units, then the system is ripe for abuse.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Order or Not?

Is it safe to say that ordering this car is the only way to get one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allocation

Joey poses a great question about allocation and ordering.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think it is wise to ask your dealer how many orders for the SRT8 he has, where you are on the list, and ask him to put in writing that you will receive the (first, second, third, fourth....etc) SRT8 that he receives.

Any further information on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The dealer has NO input into which cars get built, and which don't. (Trust me, I've tried!). The cars are built (almost) in the order they were placed. Especially with the 300C, some months they wouldn't build blue, other months they didn't build sunroofs, etc., so some people would "skip" in line. I don't anticipate this being a problem with the SRT-8 b/c of the limited colors and options.
I think ordering is the best way to get any car, but it indicates you have both planning and patience, which seems to escape most Americans. It's possible to find a non-sold order already scheduled (there are 20 in the US now), but, basically yes, you have to order one.
RT

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
I'm guessing those 20 cars are going to be held by dealers as showroom queens for awhile with asking prices of $10,000 above list. Why else would they be ordered but not sold in this market with people doing 500 mile radius searches of dealerships just to find one?

·
Registered
334 Posts
One would assume, yes. They may have been factory cars used as 'candy' and given to the dealerships, and they may be "sold" but the dealership hasn't put a name on it electronically.
Either way, they'll start shipping in the second week of March, and they won't be selling for MSRP. :)
RT

·
Registered
13 Posts
SRT8 ordered for "just over MSRP"

I started wrking with a Dealer who has given me a "phone quote" for the SRT8 for $42,600, supposed to be with all the options... they have my deposit and I have a VON. Maybe I'll be surprised when the car finally shows up... but for now I'm optomistic and I'm hoping this is a "good price"....

Also... for some reason I was given two order numbers... fairly low in sequence. My wife won't let me buy two, so I'm not sure if the second number is "open" to someone else or not.

JRS

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
rt4 said:
Below invoice for an SRT-8....brings to mind the phrase "Too good to be true..."
RT
Just got back from my dealer and got a fold-out brochure on the SRT8, they will only get one in and don't expect to sell too many as they have lots of 300's on the lot. There is no gas guzzler tax in Canada or at least not in Alberta, but I suppose with what they charge for this car here it won't really matter. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I solicited seven dealers in my area when shopping for a C. After I picked my C one of the dealers called me with a loaded SRT-8. 42,300. MSRP no mark up. He told me refrain from putting insurance on my C and it would void the contract. Then I could by his SRT-8. I said that I wouldn't do that. Sounds screwy to me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Best advice I can give, search, and search huge. I searched for dealers withing 1K miles of me, and I found a good one about 700 miles from me. Of course, I work 7 on and 7 off, but it would be worth a vacation if I needed to use it. Great reason to fly out, and take a road trip back IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts