Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a very well stuck semi-transparent plastic sticker on my trunk advertising the dealer who sold me my 300C.

The Bas$#*&ds obviously didn't want it to come off, if I try and peel it, it just shreds. I'm going to end up in a right mess.

Any ideas what I can use to cleanly remove it? Some liquid that won't strip my paint?

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Be very careful with using chemicals to remove the sticker seeing they can damage the clear coat.

A hair dryer and a thin plastic scraper to lift an edge of the sticker is all that is needed and then slowly pulling the sticker off in one direction while heating it well with the hair dryer on high.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goo gone will definitly get the sticker off without damaging the clear coat or paint. It is the same stuff used to remove the side moulding adhesive on 300s and Magnums. It does this safely, therefore a simple sticker will come off no problem. Either way, this is just my opinion, let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Goo Gone, WD 40 will also work. I like the heat gun done very carefully! Take your time and be patient. All the solutions mentioned here will accomplish what you want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hair dryer did mine

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
My girlfriend took mine off with the precision of plastic sergeon with her finger nail and water in minutes. NOT A SCRATCH! I couldn't believe it with my own eyes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
there are many different types of stickers out there but generally start with the hairdryer to heat up and soften the glue from the sticker.

I used goo gone and didnt have any problem with the clear coat but I made sure I rinsed the area well.

using a plastic edge can also work if you are VERY careful with it.

the key to either method is heating the sticker.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My pet peeve.

Go back to the dealer and tell them, "Either you take it off or I will send you a monthly bill for using MY car as a rolling advertisment billboard."

I paid for the care that is one thing but for them to put their advertising on MY car without my permission is not acceptable.

Again, I have a big problem with this sort of thing.

Good luck, the heat and goo gone / wd40 should do the trick.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My pet peeve.

Go back to the dealer and tell them, "Either you take it off or I will send you a monthly bill for using MY car as a rolling advertisment billboard."

I paid for the care that is one thing but for them to put their advertising on MY car without my permission is not acceptable.

Again, I have a big problem with this sort of thing.

Good luck, the heat and goo gone / wd40 should do the trick.
+1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just did mine this weekend...

Step 1: Hair Dryer on "Hot" about an inch away for ~30 secs
Step 2: Get an edge of the decal (I used my fingernail)
Step 3: Pull the decal off as much as it will allow you to - don't force it
Step 4: If the decal starts to get harder to pull off, reheat with hair dryer
Step 5: After decal is removed, use GooGone or WD-40 to remove glue
Step 6: Cleaner wax application on the area (then polish & wax if necessary)
Step 7: Drive your unadvertised ride!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
My girlfriend took mine off with the precision of plastic sergeon with her finger nail and water in minutes. NOT A SCRATCH! I couldn't believe it with my own eyes.
we are still talking about the sticker right?.lol:saroll:

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
For future reference, instruct your salesman that there are to be no stickers or plates placed on the car prior to delivery.

This avoids the gooey sticker removal, and the front license plate bracket where not required for an actual license plate.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Just get a can of paint that matches pretty close (Wal-Mart or Home Depot). Then wipe the area with your sleeve (carefully so you won't scratch the paint).
Apply a couple of thin coats right over the label from 12" while moving the can side to side. Pick off any bugs before it dries, then shine your flashlight on it until it's nice and dry.
A coat of Min Wax makes it shiny.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Just get a can of paint that matches pretty close (Wal-Mart or Home Depot). Then wipe the area with your sleeve (carefully so you won't scratch the paint).
Apply a couple of thin coats right over the label from 12" while moving the can side to side. Pick off any bugs before it dries, then shine your flashlight on it until it's nice and dry.
A coat of Min Wax makes it shiny.
You hit the wine a little early last night, didn't you?:alcoholic

·
Banned
651 Posts
use an orbital sander with 200 grit paper. use moderate/firm pressure and it will come off perfectly with no sign of anything. i used it on mine. trust me

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just did mine this weekend...

Step 1: Hair Dryer on "Hot" about an inch away for ~30 secs
Step 2: Get an edge of the decal (I used my fingernail)
Step 3: Pull the decal off as much as it will allow you to - don't force it
Step 4: If the decal starts to get harder to pull off, reheat with hair dryer
Step 5: After decal is removed, use GooGone or WD-40 to remove glue
Step 6: Cleaner wax application on the area (then polish & wax if necessary)
Step 7: Drive your unadvertised ride!
That is by far the best way to do it, I'm a stylist so I have the Pro model Chi ionic Hair dryer that got mine off in a jiffy... but definitely heat it thoroughly or keep the heat on it as you pull to avoid glue slop left on you deck lid...

I have to say though Stolkholm & JRod, get extra points for creativity and making me laugh from my tummy... going by their philosophy you could use a blow torch to warm up n loosen the glue of the sticker...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts