Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I would document and post this process to demystify the front speakers and the install process. I encourage others to document their modifications with pictures and post because service manuals sometimes just don't cut it. :)

I purchased 2 sets of Eclipse 3 1/2 SE-8233 Speakers through a friend for a grand total of $40 shipped. They are in perfect condition and were a perfect fit into the 300c Dash.

Eclipse SE-8233

Size: 3 1/2" 2-Way
20W Continuous Power Handling
40W Power Handling
40Hz - 120Hz Frequency Response
92dB Sensitivity
Mica/Poly Cone Material
Rubber Surround Material
Kapton Voice Coil Former
Mylar Tweeter Dome
Mylar Super-Tweeter Dome
Tweeter Magnet Material: Neodymium
Ferrite Woofer Magnet Material
Mounting Depth: 1 1/2"

The wattage rating on these speakers seemed about perfect for the sound group 2 amplifer. I had considered the Infinity Reference and Kappa line, and also the MB quartz, and was pretty convinced the MB quart were the way to go, but for $40 for 4, who can argue... :p

First a few comparison photos of the stock Boston Acoustic Sound Group 2 3.5 speaker with the Eclipse:

Tools & Materials required:

Credit Card for prying up the speaker grilles.
A small socket wrench and a phillips head bit (the speakers are so close to the windshield and it will be hard to fit a screwdriver in there)
Soldering Iron/Solder (or you can use radioshack speaker terminals)
Small connecting pins from a Molex connector or some other connector from radio shack. I used Molex .062 Series Male connectors.

Let the install process begin:

1. Slide your credit card in between the speaker grill and the dash and gently pry up evenly on the grill. It will pop right up without effort.

2. You will see the stock speaker with the 2 phillips head screws. Remove the screws using your socket and phillips head and pull out the speaker.

3. Push the little white plastic tab in on the connector and remove the connector from the speaker.

Note: Pull the wire and connector to the side and place the speaker on top of the wire to keep it from falling into the dash. I dropped the wire on my first speaker and nearly had a disaster to the point where I could not reach the speaker wire any more. If you lose this cable, your entire dash will most likely have to be removed. Don't skip this simple step ;)

4. Connect the male molex connectors to a small length of speaker cable and crimp down the connectors to make them fit into the factory speaker harness. It may be ugly, but no damage is done to the factory wiring and it is easily serviced.

5.Solder or connect the opposite ends to your speaker and make note of which is positive and negative.

6. Chrysler nor Boston Acoustic were kind enough to label the speakers with Positive or Negative. The wire colors of the factory speaker wiring make absolutely no sense. I believe they are Green/Yellow and Green/Grey. Taking a look at the service manual was no help to me whatsoever. I had to decipher which was positive and which was negative by ear. It is pretty easy to tell when a speaker is wired reverse polarity because it sounds super harsh. If anyone has any idea which colors are which I would love to verify I got these wired properly.

7. Wrap each molex connector in electrical tape and around the connector for good measure.

8. Drop the speaker back in the slot, screw them back in, throw the grills back on and enjoy.

I highly recommend a simple speaker swap like this. I plan on doing the same with the rear 6x9's next week. The speaker quality is blatently obvious the moment you turn on the system. I am highly impressed with the high range of these Eclipse's. They make the stock 3.5's seem like kazoos. The stock amplifier seems to provide enough power for aftermarket speakers, but I eventually plan to upgrade to an aftermarket amp for the extra volume. Sound quality is drastically increased in the front stage audio.

For $40 it had to be done... :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
If anyone has any idea which colors are which I would love to verify I got these wired properly.
From Page 8W-47-7 and -8 (according to 8W-01-05)

The order is MainColor/TracerColor;
Speaker: (+) (-)
Instrument Left: Gray/Orange, Gray/Yellow
Instrument Center: Center: Gray/Brown, Gray/Orange
Instrument Right: Gray/Dark Green, Gray/Light Green
Subwofter: Gray/Brown Dark Green/Brown
Left Door: Gray/Violet Gray/Yellow
Right Door: Dark Green/Violet Dark Green/Yellow
Left rear: Dark Green/Tan Dark Green/Grey
Right Rear: Dark Green/Brown Yellow/Grey

·
Registered
170 Posts
The thicker guage wire is an interesting but wasteful touch IMHO. The bottle neck will always be the cable leading to your connection.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wayyy tooo gooo! Now please do the same thing with the rear speakers...pics and all. And then do the door speakers! I love this forum!!!! Will the intermittent speaker buzzing go away with better speakers? I have the base system (no sub woofer and smaller amp) and notice on occasion with certain songs or listening to Howard Stern's voice I get the buzzing.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
kcrnmale said:
Wayyy tooo gooo! Now please do the same thing with the rear speakers...pics and all. And then do the door speakers! I love this forum!!!! Will the intermittent speaker buzzing go away with better speakers? I have the base system (no sub woofer and smaller amp) and notice on occasion with certain songs or listening to Howard Stern's voice I get the buzzing.
SGII = no buzzing ever... however Howard Stern's voice makes my HEAD buzz!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
rogue,
way to go, your attention to details is great. You take a lot of pride in your mods and just don't jump in. Thanks for making it easy for the rest of us to make good decissions if a mod will work for us. Keep us posted on the rest of the speakers. I'd be interested on the results.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rogue,

Did you change out the center dash speaker also?

What is that center dash speaker for? It the frequency range fed to that speaker the same as the right and left front speakers?

Thanks for the pics, too! I think i'll be changing mine out shortly!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The center speaker is interesting. It seems to be mono and a bit quieter than the other dash speakers. I listened to it for a bit next to my ear and it appears to be a combination of both left and right channels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
how did the eclipse speakers sound are you currently using factory amp was there an improvement. How much depth is there in the dash. I was thinking about putting some focal 4inch do you think that would be possible. Unless you think the eclipse sound excellent I may try those
thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will not be able to put 4" in there without modifying the entire dash and making custom speaker grills. There is atleast 1' depth so it is not an issue.

Out of all the 3.5"s I listened to, the MBquart were my favorite, but these eclipses easily compete. The highs are incredibly detailed and midbass is as good as it gets for a 3.5" speaker.

I am running them on the stock wiring with the stock amplifier and they sound great. I'm sure they would get much louder with an aftermarket amp, but for now they compliment the other speakers quite well. I have a much stronger front audio stage and the highs are a lot more detailed.

I will be sound deadening the front doors and rear deck and replacing the 6x9s next week sometime and will provide more documentation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm a Boston Fan too, so I may also go with the FX3, since I don't see any pro series units in that size. FX9 seems to be the ones for the rear deck if they will take the 3" mounting depth. I don't see any midbass only 6x9s for the front doors. Anyone know where we can get some?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not much frequency response!

Size: 3 1/2" 2-Way
20W Continuous Power Handling
40W Power Handling
40Hz - 120Hz Frequency Response
92dB Sensitivity
Mica/Poly Cone Material
Rubber Surround Material
Kapton Voice Coil Former
Mylar Tweeter Dome
Mylar Super-Tweeter Dome
Tweeter Magnet Material: Neodymium
Ferrite Woofer Magnet Material
Mounting Depth: 1 1/2"

40HZ-120HZ? I think you installed a subwoofer in your dash!! I think you meant 120hz - 40khz? :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone have the specs for the Sound Group II amplifier with regards to crossover frequencies to the fronts/doors/rear speakers? Is the crossover part of the amplifier or is there a separate crossover box?

If I'm going to do anything more than the fronts, i'd sure like to know what i'm dealing with.

Also, I must say that i'm a bit disappointed by the quality of speaker DC used with the Sound Group II. Did they even change the speaker from the standard equipment level? Looking at the pictures from rogue, they look very "stock".

I bet after changing out all the speakers, the audio quality will be magnitudes better! (not that I'm complaining, it's currently just "OK", but some changes sure are needed).

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much room did you notice to cut and custom mount a 5 1/4 speaker? I'd love to swap for the larger speaker, even if i have to cut and do some bondo work... I hope to start my sound system project at the end of the month after i have the rims and tires mounted.

My updated system is as follows

2 - Qsd 210 mb quart for front stage
2 - Qsd 216 mb quart for front midbass/door
2 - Qsd 216 mb quart for rear fill
2 - JL audio 13W7 subs
2 - Qsd 216 mb quart for trunk

2 - JL 1000/1 for subs
2 - JL 450/4 for all speakers

Not sure on what capacitors to go with yet...
Most likely 2 optima yellow tops

dave
chicago

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great pictures Rogue, I think I'll do the quarts though. Question you said that you bought two pair of 3 1/2's: So did you change the center speaker also and have one to spare?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hoping to keep the overall tonal balance with the rest of the speakers but adding some clarity to the front sound stage of mids and highs.
I would also recommend swapping the rear speakers. The rear 6x9's add quite a bit of distortion to the entire system.There is no mounting depth limit to the dash speakers nor the rear deck. Be sure to remove that stupid cardboard tray in the trunk that protects the speakers also. I found it provides no sort of enclosure whatsoever, and is simply a rattletrap. Mine was taken out with the trash this morning...

Does anyone have the specs for the Sound Group II amplifier with regards to crossover frequencies to the fronts/doors/rear speakers? Is the crossover part of the amplifier or is there a separate crossover box?
I'm not aware of what crossover points are used, I only know that the front gets High Pass, the doors get midbass, and the rear gets full range. From my service manual, it appears as if the crossovers are built into the amp.

How much room did you notice to cut and custom mount a 5 1/4 speaker? I'd love to swap for the larger speaker, even if i have to cut and do some bondo work... .
There will be plenty of room for you to fit any size speaker you desire, but keep in mind you will have to make custom grills and also somehow mold the bondo to the rubberized dash. The setup will have to be infinite baffle unless you create an MDF or fiberglass baffle of sorts.

Not sure on what capacitors to go with yet...
Capacitors are generally used for looks in an install. Some may beg to differ, but most audio enthusiasts avoid using them. Its a shop that most often sells them. You should be able to run up to 2000watts on the stock alternator as long as you upgrade the ground from the battery, the positive to the alternator and the ground for the alternator with larger gauge wire. A second optima would be nice, but unecessary in this setup in my opinion.

FYI I am running 1500watts to a 15" subwoofer in the trunk and have no dimming whatsoever on the stock alternator and wiring.

So did you change the center speaker also and have one to spare?
Yes I have one spare.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks for the right up ive been askin about this since i got my 300 a month ago ? now i have the touring does anyone know how difficult it will be to run the wire from the dash to the head unit i have a pioneer 6500dvd in their and i am going to amp up all the speakers soon to compliment my 2 memphis 12" subs im just wondering how hard it will be to run the wire or if it can even be done?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts