Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm the first to admit I'm not the racing type. And I don't get too many cars to go up against where I live (usually beat up trucks driven by ********!).

Anyway on the off chance that some one fancies their chances against my 300C what's the best strategy from stationary? Just floor it? Stick it in first and then let if shift up? I've seen some comments on turning off the traction control, but i'll just sit there spinning the wheels won't I?

Advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
turn off the ESP and just floor it. there is no real technique to launch an automatic. if you have a manual, that is a different story

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I found I gained about a tenth of second by power braking up to 1800rpm and then flooring it.
I too am a little faster and more importantly a lot more consistent using this technique.

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
"Power braking" at a red light, on the street, against ******** in beat up pickup trucks!?
Unless the guy/gal next to you has indicated that they want you to race them, there is no way you are going to do a "power brake" launch at every red light just to beat them through the intersection should they just happen to try to squirt across ahead of you.
If you suspect there may be a competition, assure that ESP is off, put your left foot on the brake and have your right foot ready to go when the light turns green, thereby not loosing any time moving the right foot from brake to throttle. While your light is still red, check the cross-traffic for anyone who might be about to run their red light when it changes. When your light turns green smoothly push the throttle about half way to get a bit of a jump. As this is happening check to see if the other guy is trying to catch up to your jump, or jumping with you. If so, dump the throttle. You may experience wheel spin depending on the type and condition of the road surface.
If you are completely stock it doesn't matter if you are in "D" or "1", except if you are in "D" and check up on the throttle before you decide to dump it, the tranny may shift to "2" during the check up, and will hesitate, or not even downshift, when you do dump it. Starting out in "1" and holding it until you are sure that there is no race will help in the event that you do find it necessary to dump the throttle after a check-up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Since you're somewhat new at LAUNCHING...I would NOT turn the ESP off until you become more accustom to how your car handles. It's been my experience in the past that by turning ESP off and simply flooring it causes me too much wheelspin and I tend to get sideways. Then again I have a predator tune.....

I like the recommendation above to gently ease into the throttle before dumping the throttle. Definitley go to some remote stretch of road and practice and you'll find out for yourself what works best.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
critical

Since you're somewhat new at LAUNCHING...I would NOT turn the ESP off until you become more accustom to how your car handles. It's been my experience in the past that by turning ESP off and simply flooring it causes me too much wheelspin and I tend to get sideways. Then again I have a predator tune.....

I like the recommendation above to gently ease into the throttle before dumping the throttle. Definitley go to some remote stretch of road and practice and you'll find out for yourself what works best.

Good luck!
There it is. I found it extremely helpful to get a gtech and make a lot of practice runs. These boats are hard to launch. A little practice and you cut your 60 ft. times to 1.8-1.7 you can really hustle a good time out of the sled.

Nothing but fun!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
ps

another note: ESP can actually help you be a better driver. When you learn to modulate the car in the ESP intervention envelope you have then learned the "sloppy edge" where you're no longer in contact with the pavement.

We all know how much fun it is to power slide around a corner with rubber burning, but the dude who can clip that apex and leave hard out the other side is going to be WAY out front!

See ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts