Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the chrome B & C pillars a couple of months ago but am seeing a lot of fine scratches in the chrome and have decided to take them off. Looking for an easy way of removing them without damaging the black pillar beneath.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hmmm.

bigvrodder said:
anyone have some suggestions??
Now That is a good question.
Maybe since it's held on with 3M tape,
you can take it off by heating it up,
slowly pulling/prying the Pillar Cover. Then use
some type of a cleaner to remove tape residue

This is just a "SWAG"..
Scientific Wild Ass Guess

·
Registered
66 Posts
Though I've never done it, the common answer I usually see is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the double-sided tape, then just peel it off. Any glue left behind can be wiped off!

Chewy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pillar Removal

bigvrodder said:
I installed the chrome B & C pillars a couple of months ago but am seeing a lot of fine scratches in the chrome and have decided to take them off. Looking for an easy way of removing them without damaging the black pillar beneath.
I feel your pain BIGV. I removed mine with great success using a special product from Glenny's Of Ammityville. The product is Toothy Ruthies Tattoo Glue Remover

·
Registered
105 Posts
There may be an issue with certain glue solvents; i.e., Goof Off, where they damage the finish of the black pillar. Try it on a very small piece first, if no residue or damage, proceed with the rest. You can also read a tutorial on how to remove badges (also on double sided tape) for a better understanding of the techniques involved.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
SLK is right, watch the solvents, I would try a hair dryer, maybe some waxed dental floss. It would be a real shame to screw up the black pillars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the scratches aren't too bad, would you mind parting with the C-pillars? :smoker: Stupid me, I didn't realize the ones I bought were B-pillars only. Let me know what you'd want for them and if you could salvage them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bigvrodder said:
There's no doubt that you'll be getting great info on removing your pillars. But, your inquiry begs the question - what went wrong???

First of all, what brand did you purchase? E&G or the Willmore? Or did you buy a generic on eBay? Do you have any idea as to how the scratches got there? Auto car wash? Finger nails of people opening/closing the doors? Or did they come with micro scratches and you only noticed them after installation?

Anything specific info would be very much appreciated - I am about to purchase a 6-piece set.

Thanks!
sdw

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They were an aftermarket brand I purchased on ebay. Not sure how all the minor scratches occurred but was anxious to get rid of them since the look of the short tinted windows is only enhanced with the balck pillars giving it the appearance of one long pane. I was able easily remove them with the help of a hairdryer and some gentle pulling at the corners. No damage and extemely easy to completely remove all the glue by just rolling with thumb and fingers.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Im thinking about removing my pillars also. The reason why is there not the ones i wanted. I wanted a set that wasnt so shiney/mirror finished look. I wanted the more dull set that matched the chrome on the door & my window molding. This set just looks to i dont know for me. It doesnt blend in with the rest of the chrome. If you look from far away it looks like foil. Just what i didnt want. I went with the ones from MoparSuperCenter. The none E&G brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts