Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the EGR is not all that complicated - technically it's just a couple of bolts. But thought I would provide a couple tips, since it turned into a pain for me...

First of all, the EGR recycles exhaust gas back into the intake manifold. It is simply for better emissions. Removing it will put an end to hot and dirty exhaust gas going into the manifold, as we all like cold and clean air going in there. That all being said, it might not be legal to remove in some states - not sure about that, but I have heard that before. I'm in Ohio, where we don't do emissions testing.

Also, you will need to electronically shut off the EGR as well - it's not as simple as just capping it off, because you will throw codes. Early versions of Diablosport software allowed for the option to turn off the EGR, but the government put an end to that. And if you have updated your tuner, it's too late - you can't roll it back to previous software. So, unless you have a DS tuner with the old software, you will need to get a custom tune to shut the EGR off.

Aside from the exhaust recirculation, the EGR is also just a really ugly eyesore on the front of the motor. Especially mine - since I had a piece of gorilla tape melt to the heat shield around the tube. I have some changes coming to my engine bay soon and I needed to relocate my catch can a bit - so it was time for my EGR to go to make room... I certainly won't miss that ugly thing.

So let's get started...

TOOLS THAT I USED
flat head screwdriver
8mm socket
10mm socket
ratchet
ratchet extensions
10mm combination wrench (small)
WD40
EGR block off plates

First, here's a picture showing the ugly EGR valve and tube - it's the canister thing with the plug on top, along with the exhaust tube that runs into the manifold just behind the throttle body...

Just below the bottom of the canister, there are two forward-facing 10mm bolts that need to be removed. The one towards the inside of the car is visible here...

Closer look...

Even closer look...

The other 10mm bolt below the canister towards the outside of the car is the real pain to get to. Sorry - difficult to get a good picture of it. But that's it just peeking out from under the EGR canister and tube - facing forward towards the alternator... you can barely see the bottom of that bolt in this pic...

Aside from those two bolts, the only other thing connecting the EGR assembly to the car is the electrical plug on top of the canister. So let's start there. Here's the plug...

Simple enough - I use a flat head screwdriver to slide the red locking tab open. And then simply remove the plug and tuck it away somewhere that will be out of your way for now...

So the easy part is done. The only thing left is those two 10mm bolts at the bottom of the assembly. The one towards the inside that is visible was not bad. Using a small ratchet with a 10mm socket, that one cranked off. It has been on there for 100K miles, so it did take some force to get it going, but it came off just fine.

However, for the life of me, I could not get to the outer one. The main problem is that the alternator is in the way - and I was not about to remove the alternator to get to this one bolt. I tried about every ratchet/socket combination that I had, and I simply couldn't get anything back there. I almost made it with a swivel piece for a socket, but I only had the 1/2" variety and it was simply too big to turn. I believe that a 1/4" swivel attachment might be able to make it, but not sure. So after beating my hands up for a bit, I decided to simply remove the tube from the EGR to make some more room.

The tube is held on by two 8mm bolts. Ratchet those off - and careful that you don't drop the gasket that is between the tube and the EGR or you'll be fishing it out from the bottom of the engine bay. And I think this gasket is nylon or paper, so a magnetic retriever won't be of any help. Here is one bolt removed and the gasket showing...

After removing both of those bolts and grabbing the gasket, you just need to give the tube a little bit of a tug and it will slide out of the intake manifold. There is no bolt or anything else holding it in up there. But be careful sliding it out, because the tube does have a rubber grommet on the inside that you will be reusing later. Here it is coming out - note the blue rubber grommet...

Now we have some more room to work with, and better access to that bolt as you can see...

At this point, I was able to get a small 1/4" style ratchet down there on to the bolt, but still couldn't get it to sit flush enough to hold on under the pressure needed. So I ended up using the box/ring side of a small 10mm combination wrench, seen here...

This was still a pain. I WD40'd it quite a bit. Even smacked the wrench with a hammer a few times. In the end, it was just brute hand force that won the battle. I ended up wrapping the wrench in a small towel because it was digging into my hand so sharply, but I eventually got it loose. You just don't have much room to get any leverage. But once it was loose, it's a bunch of tiny turns with the combination wrench to remove the bolt. Before you completely remove the bolt, be ready to grab the metal gasket - it is metal, so could be retrieved with a magnetic tool, but that's still not fun. Here you can see the EGR coming off and the gasket spun around on the bolt and sticking out...

So grab hold of the gasket, remove the final bolt and the EGR assembly is now free from the car. Hang onto those bolts and the gasket - you'll be reusing those in a bit. Here's what it looks like with the EGR out...

And here's the tube side out on the manifold...

Here's the entire assembly out of the car...

As I said earlier, you should have already had the EGR turned off with a custom tune (Johan is the man!). Now you just need to cap off the two holes left behind. I went with a Billet Technology kit (of course some more pretty blue billet for my bay :)). BT supplies a plate for the lower portion, as well as a plug and self-tapping screw for the upper portion. Here is the BT kit...

You will need to remove the rubber grommet from the EGR tube that was inside the manifold. It simply just slides off...

Now you have the stock pieces you'll need to reuse...

Combine those with the BT kit and you're ready to cap these holes off...

For the top portion, you only need to slide the rubber grommet onto the BT plug just a little bit - don't slide it all of the way to the base. This will allow it to seat and seal well. Once on the BT plug, simply slide it into the hole and secure with the self-tapping screw provided with the BT kit. Note - do not overtighten or you will strip it, since you are screwing into plastic. Here's what the finished product looks like on the upper portion...

For the lower portion, simply use the stock bolts and gasket, and bolt the new BT block off plate into place. Don't worry, it only goes on one way so you can't get it wrong. Go ahead and crank this one on pretty tight. Here is the finished product on the lower portion...

Now you just need to tape up the EGR's electrical plug and zip-tie it out of the way somewhere. And that's it! You're done. :fing02:

Here are before and after pictures...

Certainly cleans up that area quite a bit with the ugly EGR out of there. Not to mention it makes room for me to relocate my BT catch can and get some more engine bay mods done!

So in the end, this is not complicated - just a bit difficult to get to that damn bolt. Hope these tips can help someone out. :fing02:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey I know this post is pretty old, hopefully you'll see this reply. But I'm looking under the good of my 2010 with the 5.7 Hemi and there is no EGR valve, the spot on the intake manifold where the EGR tube is pushed into isn't even there. Were there different locations for it year to year, or was it not equipped on all 5.7s?

·
Administrator
19,552 Posts
Fisch hasn't been around in a while.

Your vehicle was manufactured with an EGR valve. What's interesting is that you say it doesn't look like it ever had one. Did you look around the back of the valve cover and intake manifold on both sides? 2005 - 2010 EGR valves should be in the same location but if you have a late 2010 production car it might be in a different location. I haven't played at all with a 2011 or later 5.7L so I simply am not sure if it's in a different location or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fisch hasn't been around in a while.

Your vehicle was manufactured with an EGR valve. What's interesting is that you say it doesn't look like it ever had one. Did you look around the back of the valve cover and intake manifold on both sides? 2005 - 2010 EGR valves should be in the same location but if you have a late 2010 production car it might be in a different location. I haven't played at all with a 2011 or later 5.7L so I simply am not sure if it's in a different location or not.
Yeah I looked all around for it. In the location above the alternator the mounting holes are on the cylinder head but the hole in the center that should open to the valve is closed. There's also no similar tubes running into the manifold anywhere I could see, I looked around for a loose wire connector incase it had possibly been deleted and found none. It's really bugging me now because I wanna get this issue corrected. I bought a Haynes manual and found a FSM online and none of them list it in an alternate location. I've been able to find EGR valves on the Oreillys website for 2010 5.7 Hemis in Ram, Charges and Challengers but when I search for a 300C it says they don't exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I looked all around for it. In the location above the alternator the mounting holes are on the cylinder head but the hole in the center that should open to the valve is closed. There's also no similar tubes running into the manifold anywhere I could see, I looked around for a loose wire connector incase it had possibly been deleted and found none. It's really bugging me now because I wanna get this issue corrected. I bought a Haynes manual and found a FSM online and none of them list it in an alternate location. I've been able to find EGR valves on the Oreillys website for 2010 5.7 Hemis in Ram, Charges and Challengers but when I search for a 300C it says they don't exist.
I had 2009 charger R/T and it didn't come with EGR valve but my current 2007 300C has it! so it looks like they deleted it for 2009-2010 models? maybe!

Also the 2009 Charger had cleaner manifold and throttle than the 2007 300C even though it had much more mileage on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had 2009 charger R/T and it didn't come with EGR valve but my current 2007 300C has it! so it looks like they deleted it for 2009-2010 models? maybe!

Also the 2009 Charger had cleaner manifold and throttle than the 2007 300C even though it had much more mileage on it.
Yeah I recently found a few things stating that 2009+ had the EGR valve removed, I imagine it was replaced with another form of emissions control but it isn't one that we can touch. I also noticed the TB 0n my car was super clean for having 88k on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
SCMRoman
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing