Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my write up - how to repair fading to your dual zone climate control unit back to a nice green glow.

Parts & basic tools needed for job:

(only 5 required) 3mm Blue colour bulb covers (ebay item no. 150491476310)
(only 5 required) 3mm 12v filament 'grain of wheat' mini bulb (ebay item no. 400110358903)
Flat sided (slot screw drive) screwdriver and flat head screwdriver bit
Soldering kit
Glue gun
4mm mini hex socket set
Tweezers
Measuring tape
Household scissors

Please note the ebay item number for both parts has remained unchanged for the last 2 years. If you are unable to find the part numbers on ebay, then you need to search for the items yourself

Here is mine, note how its faded in the areas as shown in the photos.

Another close up

STEP 1 - Remove the centre dashboard fascia
This is the easy bit, NO TOOLS are required to remove the fascia. Watch how I carefully remove the fascia.

First, press to open ashtray. With the ashtray open, feel the notch beneath the centre dashboard fascia with your hands and gentle pull away starting from bottom and working your way round the fascia. The fascia is held in position by several clips.

For extra room, you may want to shift the gear selector to neutral, please ensure foot brake is applied at all times and keys are removed from the ignition barrel before disconnecting the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit.

STEP 2 - How to separate the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit from the fascia

There are 4 mini bolts/hex screws holding the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit to the fascia. They all need to be undone to separate the unit from the fascia. You will need 4mm mini hex socket to undo them at each corner and its easy to do. See photo illustration and video.

STEP 3 - How to dismantle the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit

The Dual Zone Climate Control Unit is separated from the centre dashboard fascia and is now ready to be dismantled.

Pay careful attention!

Turn dials fully to anti clockwise position as illustrated in the photo below. The dials are pattern keyed and must be set fully to the anticlockwise position to extract them from the unit.

Now gently pull to extract each dial from the dual zone climate control unit as illustrated in the photos below. Taking care remove them all one at a time.

Now the dials are all removed, note the pattern key and the reason why it was necessary for the dials to be turn fully to anticlockwise position to extract them.

Now moving onto the next part.

There are 8 notches holding the dual zone climate control unit together. There are 3 notches at the top side, 3 notches at the bottom side, 1 notch each at the left and right side and they all clip together holding the unit in one piece.

Take apart the dual zone climate control unit using a flat head screwdriver or a flat head screwdriver bit and carefully dislodge the unit apart at the notches. See photos for illustration.

Top 3 notches

Left side notch

Right side notch

Bottom 3 notches

When all notches have disengaged, carefully pull apart and remove the top cover of dual zone climate control unit.

This is how it looks with the top cover removed.

Next, remove the plastic optical light distributor, which rests over the dual zone climate control circuit board.

Next, remove the dual zone climate control circuit board by hold the base and flopping it upside down.

IT WILL DROP OUT BUT MAKE SURE YOU CATCH IT!

Dual Zone Climate Control Circuit Board

and this is how it looks on the reverse side.

See video

STEP 4 - Prepare Replacement Bulbs

Colour match to OEM greatly depends on the overall combined colour mix. With non standard parts this is a challenge! Replace all 5 bulbs with new blue covers and bulbs with the aim to achieve the most best colour match as possible. The blue hue from the cover with yellow output from the filament yields a colour closely match to green. It might not be exact match to OEM, but will be close enough.

Take 5 blue covers and 5 bulbs and slip the covers on as illustrated in the photos shown below.

Next, take bulbs and cut down to length. Measure 1.5cm (15mm) from top of bulb and trim off excess wire at the bottom.

Use tweezers and bend wire to make like little feet. See photo for illustration.

The little bulb feet will aid good soldering mount to circuit board.

STEP 5 - Prepare The Circuit Board

Note basic soldering skills required

There are 5 OEM bulbs denoted on the circuit board as PL1, PL2, PL3, PL4, PL5. For illustration purpose I have numbered them respectively 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, see photo below.

Bulbs 2 and 4 are affected shown at the beginning. Bulbs 1, 3 and 5 were previously replaced by me but I will be replacing all 5 for a good colour match.

Heres PL1, this was previously replaced. Note how I used a non standard bulb holder.

The OEM bulbs are 5mm's in size and are held in place by a holder which provides addition support at the base of the bulb and sits just above the soldered joints to the circuit board. Prepare the circuit board by using soldering iron to remove the bulbs. You need to apply heat from the soldering iron to undo the solder joints and the joints will come apart as it becomes molten. De-solder and remove each bulb one at a time taking extra care not to damage the circuit board.

Remove bulb at PL1

CONTINUED AT POST #18

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thank you for doing this. I am patiently waiting as most of mine are burnt out.

EDIT: got the bulbs and soldering gun ordered! Let do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
The light on the right half of the direction selection dial is completely gone in mine too. I am interested to find out the optioins to fix it..I would prefer to retain the same kind of light as the part that is still lit (original). In that case do I need to try finding certain LEDs or have to replace all lights with bulbs?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll keep an eye out on this and when you are done, review, possibly edit, then move it to the How Do/DIY section.

Thanks for your contribution!
Your welcome :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is my task today. I was planning to swap the filament bulbs for LEDs. I've had the panel apart it should be an easy swap.
The light on the right half of the direction selection dial is completely gone in mine too. I am interested to find out the optioins to fix it..I would prefer to retain the same kind of light as the part that is still lit (original). In that case do I need to try finding certain LEDs or have to replace all lights with bulbs?
Unfortunately its not practical to install led's & resistors. I tried it 2 years ago and it doesn't work, basically the led's emit narrow beam localised light and when placed inside the unit would lit up locally, resulting in areas poorly lit or not being lit at all.

This repair is a like for like repair. The aim is hopefully to help you save £££ or $$$. Under normal circumstance, a dealership would dispose of the old unit and replace it with a new one which costs plenty!

Reactions: Mr. C

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for doing this. I am patiently waiting as most of mine are burnt out.

EDIT: got the bulbs and soldering gun ordered! Let do this!

Write up should be completed very shortly, just working on the last few bits for uploading :wink:

Reactions: Jbear380

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Write up should be completed very shortly, just working on the last few bits for uploading :wink:
Great...no hurry. I am interested in seeing how you solder these in...and remove the old ones...thanks again!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I am very impressed with the information and detail you have provided, I'm sure it will be a great help. Mine are OK at the moment but will bear it in mind for the future.

I understand what you say about single LED's being very directional and of little use but I wonder if there is enough room to fit a multi LED type module of the type that can fit to replace courtesy lights etc. I have just replaced my courtesy lights and map lights with Multi LED types and some I have fitted have 24 LEDS fitted and are only a few mm thick, give loads of light and draw very little current. Other LED lamps are a bit deeper and have varying numbers of LED's on.

Just a thought ?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jack, appreciate your input :fing02:

Tried both leds and multiple smds on the last occasion. Led's alone do not naturally have a 360 degree light output. The unit is design to work with filament bulbs and makes use of a plastic optical light distributor which mounts on top of the circuit board to disperse the light evenly across the panel to light up the top cover.

The led's will definitely work with the electric heated seat switches though :yup:

See the very first photo at the top of the page, where I installed a super bright led to both switches, works fine.

This write up is a like for like repair with the aim to save the need for a costly replacement. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Saved. I've got to get to all of these lights one of these days.

Good stuff - thanks :fing02:

Reactions: badgx

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Thanks Jack, appreciate your input :fing02:

Tried both leds and multiple smds on the last occasion. Led's alone do not naturally have a 360 degree light output. The unit is design to work with filament bulbs and makes use of a plastic optical light distributor which mounts on top of the circuit board to disperse the light evenly across the panel to light up the top cover.

The led's will definitely work with the electric heated seat switches though :yup:

See the very first photo at the top of the page, where I installed a super bright led to both switches, works fine.

This write up is a like for like repair with the aim to save the need for a costly replacement. Thanks
Just to confirm.

This is the type of LED panel I meant (See Photo). They are more than 1" square, very thin and give out lots of light. Are they likely to work or are they unsuitable ??

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This is my write up - how to repair fading to your dual zone climate control unit back to a nice green glow.

Parts & tools needed for job:

(only 5 required) 3mm Blue colour bulb covers (ebay item no. 150491476310)
(only 5 required) 3mm 12v filament 'grain of wheat' mini bulb (ebay item no. 400110358903)
Flat sided (slot screw drive) screwdriver and flat head screwdriver bit
Soldering kit
Glue gun
4mm mini hex socket set

Please note the ebay item number for both parts has remained unchanged for the last 2 years. If you are unable to find the part numbers on ebay, then you need to search for the items yourself

Here is mine, note how its faded in the areas as shown in the photos.

Another close up

STEP 1 - Remove the centre dashboard fascia
This is the easy bit, NO TOOLS are required to remove the fascia. Watch how I carefully remove the fascia.

First, press to open ashtray. With the ashtray open, feel the notch beneath the centre dashboard fascia with your hands and gentle pull away starting from bottom and working your way round the fascia. The fascia is held in position by several clips.

For extra room, you may want to shift the gear selector to neutral, please ensure foot brake is applied at all times and keys are removed from the ignition barrel before disconnecting the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit.

step 1 - how to remove centre dashboard fascia Chrysler 300c - YouTube

STEP 2 - How to separate the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit from the fascia

There are 4 mini bolts/hex screws holding the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit to the fascia. They all need to be undone in order to seperate the unit from the fascia. You will need 4mm mini hex socket to undo them at each corner and its easy to do. See video

Step 2 - How to remove the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit from the fascia - YouTube

STEP 3 - How to dismantle the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit

The Dual Zone Climate Control Unit is separated from the centre dashboard fascia and is now ready to be dismantled.

Pay careful attention!

Turn dials fully to anti clockwise position as illustrated in the photo below. The dials are pattern keyed and must be set fully to the anticlockwise position to extract them from the unit.

Now gently pull to extract each dial from the dual zone climate control unit as illustrated in the photos below. Taking care remove them all one at a time.

Now the dials are all removed, note the pattern key and the reason why it was necessary for the dials to be turn fully to anticlockwise position to extract them.

Now moving onto the next part.

There are 8 notches holding the dual zone climate control unit together. There are 3 notches at the top side, 3 notches at the bottom side, 1 notch each at the left and right side and they all clip together holding the unit in one piece.

Take apart the dual zone climate control unit using a flat head screwdriver or a flat head screwdriver bit and carefully dislodge the unit apart at the notches. See photos for illustration.

Top 3 notches

Left side notch

Right side notch

Bottom 3 notches

When all notches have disengaged, carefully pull apart and remove the top cover of dual zone climate control unit.

This is how it looks with the top cover removed.

Next, remove the plastic optical light distributor, which rests over the dual zone climate control circuit board.

Next, remove the dual zone climate control circuit board by hold the base and flopping it upside down.

IT WILL DROP OUT BUT MAKE SURE YOU CATCH IT!

Dual Zone Climate Control Circuit Board

and this is how it looks on the reverse side.

See video

STEP 3 - How to dismantle the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit - YouTube

STEP 4 - Prepare Replacement Bulbs

Colour match to OEM greatly depends on the overall combined colour mix. With non standard parts this is a challenge! Replace all 5 bulbs with new blue covers and bulbs with the aim to achieve the most best colour match as possible. The blue from the cover with yellow output from the filament yields a colour closely match to green. It might not be exact match to OEM, but will be close enough.

Take 5 blue covers and 5 bulbs and slip the covers on as illustrated in the photos shown below.

STEP 5 - Prepare The Circuit Board

Note basic soldering skills required

The OEM bulbs are 5mm's in size and are held in place by a holder which provides addition support at the base of the bulb and sits just above the soldered joints to the circuit board. Prepare the circuit board by using soldering iron to remove the bulbs. You need to apply heat from the soldering iron to undo the solder joints and the joints will come apart as it becomes molten.

Next clean off any excess solder with a braid wire to make the circuit board ready.

WRITE UP UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
I'm luvin this so far! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This repair is a like for like repair. The aim is hopefully to help you save £££ or $$$. Under normal circumstance, a dealership would dispose of the old unit and replace it with a new one which costs plenty!
Thanks for the useful details. Please post a photo with the end result as well when ready if possible.

I wonder if a similar fix could be done for the main headlights/foglight switch background lighting? At the moment I ve just noticed I only have light on the side where intensity of the dashboard light can be adjusted. (0/position/low beam/foglight side is dark)

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
CONTINUED FROM POST #1

Remove bulb at PL2

Remove bulb at PL3

Remove bulb at PL4

Remove bulb at PL5

Next, clean off any excess solder to make the circuit board ready.

Heres a photo of the circuit board with all bulbs removed and made ready for the next stage.

STEP 6 - Solder NEW Bulbs To Circuit Board

Next, grab a bulb and begin your soldering. Solder a bulb to PL1 and work your way through to PL5 taking care at each stage.

Example, bulb being soldered to PL1

Check height of the bulb. Take measurement from the base, it must reach 1.5cm (15mm). See photo for illustration.

Check as you go and place the optical light distributor to ensure the bulb clears the dome head. See photo for illustration.

Continue working your way through.

This is how it will look when they are all done.

STEP 7 - Inspection and Quality Control

Individually inspect each bulb, solder joints and stems making sure the bulbs are not cross wired to prevent electrical short. Last thing you want to do is to damage your Dual Zone Climate Control Unit.

Re-check the height of each bulb and adjust if necessary. Place the optical light distributor to ensure the bulbs are within the dome cavity but NOT making contact.

If you are happy with the solder joints with the bulb stems and they are not cross wired, move to STEP 8 to seal.

STEP 8 - Apply seal

Using hot glue gun apply one small amount of blob to the base of each bulb to secure the stem. The seal will provide structural support and insulation. See photo for illustration

STEP 9 - Optical Clean

Next, using cotton buds GENTLY clean the plastic optical light distributor especially inside the dome cavity. Give the surface a good cleaning, you will be surprised with the amount of dirt you might collect. Alternatively you can wash under hot water with a little soap but take care not to break it and dry it out properly.

Look at how much dirt was collected from one swipe

Next, take the top cover of the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit and with a soft tissue wipe the inside translucent surface clean from any dirt. See photo illustration.

STEP 10 - Reassemble Dual Zone Climate Control Unit

Almost done!

Take the base cover of the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit and then carefully drop the circuit board into its seating position. Do NOT force into position. See photo for illustration.

Take the plastic optical light distributor and seat it onto its position over the Dual Zone Climate Control circuit board. Do NOT force into position. See photo for illustration.

Next, take the top cover of the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit and snap back in place. You will heard the notches as it clicks in place.

Next, take the dials and insert. Remember the dials are pattern keyed so will only fit in position with dials set at its most fully anticlockwise position. See photo for illustration.

Next, refit the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit to the centre dashboard fascia. They are screwed back in place with the four 4mm mini hex bolts. Don't forget to plug the sockets to the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit.

Next loosely refit the centre dashboard cover for final testing, you can secure in place after testing. See photo for illustration.

STEP 11 - Testing

Test in the dark or at night fall.

Switch on vehicle and headlights. Test the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit and check every button is working.

This is how it will look.

Alternative Options

I thought of an alternative idea, although its not been tested!

It might be possible to get small led halo rings from ebay and mount them to the inside top cover of the Dual Zone Climate Control Unit and the wires will then solder to the relevant points. This all depends on halo ring sizes being available plus will need to do away with the plastic optical light distributor as it will no longer be a requirement when led halos are installed.

This is potentially where the led halo ring will sit on the inside top cover and it can be held in place with glue. I might try this next time if I have another opportunity, perhaps using something like 6K diamond white led halo's. The colour will match the 6K electric heated seat switch mod that I did on mine. See photo for illustration of possible mounting place. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: rich1

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Looks mine is a bit different. It has 12 bulbs. I popped one burnt out one off and the solder joints are super close. It may be difficult to not have the new joint s touch? Any thots? Electronics Technology Electronic component Electronic device Auto part

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.