Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the HID output but with the cost of bulbs and ballasts it's not worth it for me as they keep going out. On my last 2 300c's I just replaced the stock halogen bulbs with led conversion bulbs (direct fit) and they worked perfectly. Anyone know what I need for this conversion and how to install OEM halogen/wiring harnesses into a stock HID setup?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It sounds like you have an underlying issue. How often are the parts failing? You are considering such a significant downgrade that I think it's worth some time to investigate rather than spend more time and money to install an inferior lighting system.

I have not needed to replace anything in the 6 years I have owned the vehicle. The first thing I did after purchase was disable the low beam on feature after unlock.

The worst thing for longevity is turning on the bulbs and not letting them fully warm up before turning them off. Even a quick cut of power during startup can shorten the life of components over time. I always wait until the vehicle is running and ensure I can commit to having the lights on for a few minutes if I am going to turn on the low beams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CtoSRT8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's actually a good tip I'll disable that tomorrow. I've had this one about 7 months now, one bulb started turning pinkish so i replaced the pair, now my ballasts are going out and flickering. At this point it seems more worth it to me to solder in regular wiring harnesses from pick n pull and attach some LED bulbs since I can also use aftermarket headlight housings then. Money is not on my side for this car right now but I'm not worried about the resale value as long as the components work for me. I'm kind of curious if this swap would even be easily possible?

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,739 Posts
Did you replace the bulbs with OEM quality types? Cheaper versions can often fail prematurely. I have only needed to replace bulbs once (with Osram) in over 12 years. The ballasts have never been replaced. Change of colour and flickering is normally a bulb problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like it could have just been an issue with the ballast or bulb that was inherited on a new to you vehicle. I'll bet if you just replace with OEM parts it will be fine. I don't think you mentioned that the same part failed twice. At this age, the original parts may fail but they are fairly cheap to obtain second hand on ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the info and if there is no way to swap for LED's I'll have to cave in and spend the $ for OEM bulbs and ballasts as you said, but for the time being I could get LED's in there with my old headlight housing for about 35$ in parts. So if anyone knows how to do this swap please let me know

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thank you guys for the info and if there is no way to swap for LED's I'll have to cave in and spend the $ for OEM bulbs and ballasts as you said, but for the time being I could get LED's in there with my old headlight housing for about 35$ in parts. So if anyone knows how to do this swap please let me know
The oem projector is removed from the rear of the housing with 4 bolts. From there you can retrofit a custom projector designed for an led low beam source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so remove the housings from the body and drop the four bolts, from there what wire would I tap into for the wiring harnesses? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 08 srt headlights?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Okay so remove the housings from the body and drop the four bolts, from there what wire would I tap into for the wiring harnesses? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 08 srt headlights?
If I can recall, I tapped into the orange and grey wire to trigger my demon eyes. Just use the existing wiring once you find a diagram as a trigger for anything using an external relay to power directly from the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I can recall, I tapped into the orange and grey wire to trigger my demon eyes. Just use the existing wiring once you find a diagram as a trigger for anything using an external relay to power directly from the battery.

That worked, snipped the two wires and got the lights soldered into them thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts