Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 300C SRT8 and recently a "reminder" message for oil change is on my EVIC every time I start my car. How do I turn off the "Change Oil...Contact Dealer" EVIC Message that appears? I've changed the oil 3 times and currently have less than 6000 miles on it, but the light didn't come on until shortly before my last oil change, which was last weekend. I hate these moronic warnings and reminders and want to permanently disable the stupid reminders. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
someone just answered this question its in a thread with a similar title, do a search.

why have you changed it 3 times?

use synthetic every 6-7

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. I will try it tomorrow morning.

I changed my oil at 500 miles because there seemed to be a bunch of people here who recommended that the first oil change be done early. All of the rest of my oil changes will be done with synthetic on 3000 mile intervals. I do lots of short trips and drive my car VERY hard so I want to play it safe. I believe the manual recommends oil changes every 3000 miles and I don't want to give Chrysler any reason to not back warranty repairs on the engine, if something were to go wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont know if its the same for the 300, but for the grand cherokee srt8, i had to put the key to on, with out starting the car, and they told me to just accelerate 3 times like push the gas pedal down 3-4 times in a row... adter that put it to off, and start the car..
It worked.. maybe it will for the 300 because theyre all the same...

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. That worked. The information at the link in a previous post had a similar procedure, except it said to slowly push the gas down 3 times within 10 seconds. Everything else was the same as what you said, and the message no longer appears when I start my car :)

I really think it's stupid that the EVIC reminds us when to do our oil changes. First of all, it didn't remind me until I had nearly 6000 miles on it, and the manual says to do the oil changes every 3000 miles. I use synthetic, but because I drive my car hard, I still think I should do the changes every 3000 miles. I don't need to be reminded. I can read the odometer :)

i dont know if its the same for the 300, but for the grand cherokee srt8, i had to put the key to on, with out starting the car, and they told me to just accelerate 3 times like push the gas pedal down 3-4 times in a row... adter that put it to off, and start the car..
It worked.. maybe it will for the 300 because theyre all the same...

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Actually, changing synthetic at 3000miles is a complete waste.

Oil analysis testing has shown that even in standard city conditions with spirited driving, the oil is good till 5000-6000miles and still has 20% life left.

I suggest you start using the oil life indicator, it is spot on.

At 3000miles, you might as well go with conventioanl oil seeing the only benefit to synthetic is longer oil change intervals and you aren't going to be doing that.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree that changing synthetic every 3000 miles does seem a bit excessive, but the manual specifies that synthetic oil be used in the SRT8, and it indicates that they be done every 3000 miles for "SEVERE DUTY" driving. Synthetic is what comes in the SRT8 right from the factory. Maybe we can raise this question during the the next SRT engineer chat session and see what they think.

I'd rather pay a little bit more for the synthetic on 3000 mile intervals than give Chrysler an excuse not to back my warranty for what could be a very costly repair. I would say that my driving style definitely falls into the "SEVERE DUTY" category though. I make lots of short trips and drive it very hard. I actually scared a couple of my friends in it. One of them admitted that he nearly crapped his pants. The funny thing is that I push it even harder when I'm the only one in the car :)

Actually, changing synthetic at 3000miles is a complete waste.

Oil analysis testing has shown that even in standard city conditions with spirited driving, the oil is good till 5000-6000miles and still has 20% life left.

I suggest you start using the oil life indicator, it is spot on.

At 3000miles, you might as well go with conventioanl oil seeing the only benefit to synthetic is longer oil change intervals and you aren't going to be doing that.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Unless u change your oil at the dealer, theres no way theyd know when you change your oil. IF you do bring it to the dealer to get change i hope you bring synthetic with you and give it to them...and if u dont bring it i sure hope u saw them with the synthetic in theirs hands

most dealers are crooks

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Yes, I agree that changing synthetic every 3000 miles does seem a bit excessive, but the manual specifies that synthetic oil be used in the SRT8, and it indicates that they be done every 3000 miles for "SEVERE DUTY" driving. Synthetic is what comes in the SRT8 right from the factory. Maybe we can raise this question during the the next SRT engineer chat session and see what they think.

I'd rather pay a little bit more for the synthetic on 3000 mile intervals than give Chrysler an excuse not to back my warranty for what could be a very costly repair. I would say that my driving style definitely falls into the "SEVERE DUTY" category though. I make lots of short trips and drive it very hard. I actually scared a couple of my friends in it. One of them admitted that he nearly crapped his pants. The funny thing is that I push it even harder when I'm the only one in the car :)
No one here is under severe duty unless you race your car 24/7. Seriously, go to Blackstone labs and get an oil analysis done.

You will be amazed that you are throwing away good oil with no benefit from the change.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless u change your oil at the dealer, theres no way theyd know when you change your oil. IF you do bring it to the dealer to get change i hope you bring synthetic with you and give it to them...and if u dont bring it i sure hope u saw them with the synthetic in theirs hands
most dealers are crooks
Yes, there is no way the dealer will know how often you change your oil. It is the owners responsibility to keep records of when the oil changes were performed so in the event there is a warranty repair for the engine, they will likely ask to see receipts if they believe the problem was due to neglect.

My neighbor had engine problems with their RAV4 and they had no receipts or records. They failed to follow the recommended oil change interval and the problem was a direct result of their neglect. The repair was not covered.

You are right about providing your own oil to the dealer. They overcharge for it, and most will use oil that you provide.

No one here is under severe duty unless you race your car 24/7. Seriously, go to Blackstone labs and get an oil analysis done.

You will be amazed that you are throwing away good oil with no benefit from the change.
I certainly don't want to throw away good oil, but sending my used oil to a lab for analysis seems like a waste of time. I can pull the dipstick and see if it's dirty, right? I put about 9-10K miles on my car a year, so I would save very little money changing it at 5K intervals. It costs me $75 for a synthetic oil change. I obviously don't want to waste my money, but I don't want the dealer to have any reason to deny warranty repairs. I keep all oil change receipts in the event that happens, and also so I can pass them on to the next owner to show the car was properly maintained.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
chrysler be thorough, funny stuff
changing your oil every 6000 on synthetic will never void ANY warranty. PERIOD.

ask for receipts thats funny too. people who do their own oil changes are SOL on warrantys riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

if you only drive 10k a year there is no reason to change it more than twice. just rediculous to think you;d have to.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I certainly don't want to throw away good oil, but sending my used oil to a lab for analysis seems like a waste of time. I can pull the dipstick and see if it's dirty, right? I put about 9-10K miles on my car a year, so I would save very little money changing it at 5K intervals. It costs me $75 for a synthetic oil change. I obviously don't want to waste my money, but I don't want the dealer to have any reason to deny warranty repairs. I keep all oil change receipts in the event that happens, and also so I can pass them on to the next owner to show the car was properly maintained.
I am seeing a lot of ignorance and a lot of unneeded fear of "the dealer".

I can see that you don't have a clue as to what dirty oil is do you. The color of the oil has nothing to do with the condition of the oil. Diesel engines turn oil black in 15miles yet it doesn't mean the oil is worn out. So i wouldn't use that arguement.

If you don't want to do the right thing and do an oil analysis and just assume everything and throw away good oil for no benefit, go right ahead, but again, you are wasting good oil.

But don't say an analysis is a waste seeing it will be proof that I am right.

Doing an oil analysis is never a waste and will prove my point. No synthetic will ever be wrn out in 2800miles. Maybe 6000miles, but not half of that.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, first of all I'm not ignorant. I know you probably aren't intending to sound insulting, but that is exactly the way you came across. I KNOW that most places recommend you do oil changes more frequently than it is actually required, AND I understand that is probably not necessary to do them that often. I'm not a wasteful person, but maybe I'm overly cautious about maintaining my car. Whether or not changing my oil at 6000 or 3000 mile intervals will make my engine last longer is open to debate, but one thing I know for certain is that it will not hurt. I'm simply doing what the manual recommends and the manual says change it every 3000 miles for severe duty, and that includes making lots of short trips.

I simply would not feel comfortable flogging my car for 6000 miles before changing the oil, regardless of if I use synthetic or not. Sure, if you do mostly highway driving, I can understand doing the changes on less frequent intervals, but I make lots of short trips. If I did my changes on a 6000 mile interval, I would change my oil less than twice a year. I bet I'm not the only one on the forum who feels this way either. Probably somewhere between 3000 and 6000 would be fine, but better safe than sorry, especially since I plan to own this car for a long time.

Secondly, don't you think that asking me to send my oil to a lab to prove your point is a little bit arrogant? Even if the lab were to say I could get another 1000-2000 miles out of my oil, would it really make you right?

If anyone else has an opinion on oil change frequency please chime in. I'm here to learn. This forum is the same place where overwhelmingly everyone said I should do my first oil change early. Is there anyone in here who regularly drives there SRT8 very hard? If so, what is your advice? I'm not saying that I don't believe Northern300c when he says I could go 6000 miles, but I don't particularly want to take the time to send my oil to a lab either. I hope a few other people can provide some feedback, and I would be particularly interested in what an SRT engineer may have to say regarding this topic.

I am seeing a lot of ignorance and a lot of unneeded fear of "the dealer".

I can see that you don't have a clue as to what dirty oil is do you. The color of the oil has nothing to do with the condition of the oil. Diesel engines turn oil black in 15miles yet it doesn't mean the oil is worn out. So i wouldn't use that arguement.

If you don't want to do the right thing and do an oil analysis and just assume everything and throw away good oil for no benefit, go right ahead, but again, you are wasting good oil.

But don't say an analysis is a waste seeing it will be proof that I am right.

Doing an oil analysis is never a waste and will prove my point. No synthetic will ever be wrn out in 2800miles. Maybe 6000miles, but not half of that.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Okay, first of all I'm not ignorant. I know you probably aren't intending to sound insulting, but that is exactly the way you came across.
Anyone saying that pulling the dipstick to check the color is the way to check the condition of the oil as you mentioned is wrong. That is a lack of knowledge about oil and is ignorance. Ignorance isn't some bad word that is an insult so look it up online and realise what the definition is before you taken unneeded offense.

I simply would not feel comfortable flogging my car for 6000 miles before changing the oil, regardless of if I use synthetic or not.
Secondly, don't you think that asking me to send my oil to a lab to prove your point is a little bit arrogant? Even if the lab were to say I could get another 1000-2000 miles out of my oil, would it really make you right?
That is fear. Fear that if you don't change your oil at 2800-3000miles that the dealer will know or that you will be doing some kind of mystery damage to your car. Which is both false and even you oil change monitor is stating that you had about 50% life left in the oil. Yet you ignore it and common knowledge and still throw out your good oil.

And me asking you to get an analysis done is not arrogant so again, get your emotions in check here. I know for sure that the analysis will state your oil is not even close to be being worn out and yes, it would prove that I am right, which is not the point.

My point is that you want to waste oil based on your opinion only, no fact, no testing, just fear and a lack of knowledge about oil and real oil change intervals.

Even your oil change monitor states that you are changing it to early, but for some reason you seem to think you know better and keep on stating severe service as a reason. Your oil change monitor takes that into consideration when it does its calculations on oil life and can factor in severe conditions and it still stated you had close to 1/2 the oil life left over.

I'm not saying that I don't believe Northern300c when he says I could go 6000 miles, but I don't particularly want to take the time to send my oil to a lab either.
It takes all of one week to test and ship and you just fill up a small plastic bottle when you do your oil change.

Trust me, it is money well spent.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I understand what you are saying. The only thing I'm not sure about regarding what you said is the oil change monitor. Is this a feature in the EVIC? My original question in this thread (which has already been answered) was regarding the "reminder" that pops up at 6K miles, but I'm not aware of how to check the "oil monitor" in the EVIC. Maybe it just wasn't clear from your reply, but I don't think the reminder takes into consideration the actual condition of the oil. I changed my oil at 600 miles, and then did it again on the 3000 mile intervals. It wasn't until I got close to 6000 miles that it started reminding me, and before that happened I had already done 2 oil changes. I think this is just a reminder that triggers every 6000 miles, so you are probably right that the factory will honor my warranty so long as I do the changes on 6000 mile intervals, especially since the manual says do the changes every 3000-6000 miles. They have no way to prove how I drive my car or how long or short my trips are.

How much does it cost to get the oil analysis done? Probably less than I'm spending on extra oil changes, if they are unnecessary. Maybe I will do the change somewhere in the middle next time (say 4500 miles), and send an oil sample in for the analysis. I will be doing it for myself though, not to "prove your point" ;)

I read through lots of discussions in the "Synthetic" thread last night to try to figure out what people are doing and it does sound like most people are changing their synthetic less frequently than the 3000 mile intervals I'm doing. One person said that the oil filter should be changed at least twice a year. Obviously the filter should be replaced when the oil is changed, but it sounded like he was saying that there may be some benefit to changing the filter even if you don't change the oil, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information.

I'm defintely uninformed and lacking knowledge when it comes to oil, and that is why I'm here in this forum, so I guess by that definition I would be considered ignorant. I'm not uneducated though. I have two Bachelor of Science degrees, one in Computer Science and another in Mathematics and graduated Magna Cum Laude. I may be ignorant when it comes to oil, but I'm not ignorant. Do you see my point?

The problem is that words like ignorant do sound offensive. Would you tell your manager he is ignorant because he cannot understand the technical details of what you do at work? No. You would simply educate him on the topic until he understands the problem (or solution) and move on with your work. My point is that this is just the wrong choice of words to use on this forum. No matter how much you know about a topic, it is best to not have a condescending attitude toward other forum members. When you know something that someone else doesn't, it is best to be humble, and give them the information they need to understand the topic.

EDIT: Whoooo hooo! This was post 1000 :)

Anyone saying that pulling the dipstick to check the color is the way to check the condition of the oil as you mentioned is wrong. That is a lack of knowledge about oil and is ignorance. Ignorance isn't some bad word that is an insult so look it up online and realise what the definition is before you taken unneeded offense.

That is fear. Fear that if you don't change your oil at 2800-3000miles that the dealer will know or that you will be doing some kind of mystery damage to your car. Which is both false and even you oil change monitor is stating that you had about 50% life left in the oil. Yet you ignore it and common knowledge and still throw out your good oil.

And me asking you to get an analysis done is not arrogant so again, get your emotions in check here. I know for sure that the analysis will state your oil is not even close to be being worn out and yes, it would prove that I am right, which is not the point.

My point is that you want to waste oil based on your opinion only, no fact, no testing, just fear and a lack of knowledge about oil and real oil change intervals.

Even your oil change monitor states that you are changing it to early, but for some reason you seem to think you know better and keep on stating severe service as a reason. Your oil change monitor takes that into consideration when it does its calculations on oil life and can factor in severe conditions and it still stated you had close to 1/2 the oil life left over.

It takes all of one week to test and ship and you just fill up a small plastic bottle when you do your oil change.

Trust me, it is money well spent.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I understand what you are saying. The only thing I'm not sure about regarding what you said is the oil change monitor. Is this a feature in the EVIC? My original question in this thread (which has already been answered) was regarding the "reminder" that pops up at 6K miles, but I'm not aware of how to check the "oil monitor" in the EVIC. Maybe it just wasn't clear from your reply, but I don't think the reminder takes into consideration the actual condition of the oil. I changed my oil at 600 miles, and then did it again on the 3000 mile intervals. It wasn't until I got close to 6000 miles that it started reminding me, and before that happened I had already done 2 oil changes. I think this is just a reminder that triggers every 6000 miles, so you are probably right that the factory will honor my warranty so long as I do the changes on 6000 mile intervals, especially since the manual says do the changes every 3000-6000 miles. They have no way to prove how I drive my car or how long or short my trips are.
Exactly, the oil change interval monitor on the car says 6000miles or close to that, so why change it earlier? There is no way that you engine will need to be changed that frequently. And even though you do some sprorted driving and some short trips, don't consider your driving to be severe seeing one decent drive with it will drive off and evaporate any fuel in the oil from a couple short trips. And with outside temps going up with summer, there really isn't any short trips.

How much does it cost to get the oil analysis done? Probably less than I'm spending on extra oil changes, if they are unnecessary. Maybe I will do the change somewhere in the middle next time (say 4500 miles), and send an oil sample in for the analysis. I will be doing it for myself though, not to "prove your point" ;)
Great to hear! BlackStone labs will send you a free kit that you can use to sample the oil. Trust me, it will show exactly what is going on with your engine. I would wait till 15000miles though so you engine can break in. If you do it now, the oil anaysis will show high silicon, iron, Nickel and copper which is perfectly normal for an engine wearing in. They all drop off to nothing once the engine is broken in.

I would do it just to prove me wrong, I am only out to save you money and still get the amazing protection from your oil seeing even at 6000miles, the oil will still have minimum 20% active additive left and oil that is still is perfect condition.

I read through lots of discussions in the "Synthetic" thread last night to try to figure out what people are doing and it does sound like most people are changing their synthetic less frequently than the 3000 mile intervals I'm doing. One person said that the oil filter should be changed at least twice a year. Obviously the filter should be replaced when the oil is changed, but it sounded like he was saying that there may be some benefit to changing the filter even if you don't change the oil, but that doesn't seem right to me.
For a $5 filter, I change the filter always with the oil. To some the filter will help. But if you get a good filter, a clean engine will never plug it up within 6000miles to put the filter into bypass mode.

Make sure you use a Wix or Purolator filter and never use a basic junk fram filter. The only Fram to use is the Fram XG (Xtended Guard) which is the one i use seeing it uses synthetic fiber media and a nice silicon anti-drainback valve which keeps the oil from draining back down into the oil pan. The ADBV keep oil in the top end seeing it will be there for instant lubrication when you start the engine up.

Essentially killing any startup clatter.

Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information.

I'm defintely uninformed and lacking knowledge when it comes to oil, and that is why I'm here in this forum, so I guess by that definition I would be considered ignorant. I'm not uneducated though. I have two Bachelor of Science degrees, one in Computer Science and another in Mathematics and graduated Magna Cum Laude. I may be ignorant when it comes to oil, but I'm not ignorant. Do you see my point?
If you look at your definition above, it is uninformed OR uneducated, not uninformed AND uneducated. I was talking strictly about oil. But seeing you are learning quickly, I don't think it applies to you anymore. You are seeing the benfits of synthetic and I think you are realising the true potential of synthetic.

The problem is that words like ignorant do sound offensive. Would you tell your manager he is ignorant because he cannot understand the technical details of what you do at work? No. You would simply educate him on the topic until he understands the problem (or solution) and move on with your work. My point is that this is just the wrong choice of words to use on this forum. No matter how much you know about a topic, it is best to not have a condescending attitude toward other forum members. When you know something that someone else doesn't, it is best to be humble, and give them the information they need to understand the topic.
I never had an attitude at all and I used a word that in some weird reason people think means rude. I guess some are ignorant about the meaning of ignorant.:biggrin: just kiddin'

Keep on learning about synthetic, and if you want a BOAT LOAD of info, this is the best place in the world.

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Powered by Motor Oil:fing02:

·
Registered
650 Posts
oil change frequency

Here are a few rambling thoughts re: oil changes on the 300 C that I have owned for 3 years now.

I am one of those who changed the oil at 300 miles and continue to change synthetic (Royal Purple) at 3500 miles or so. I can distinctly feel the engine getting rougher at around that mileage. I tried Mobil one at first, then changed to Castrol Syntec when Mobil One felt rough around the 3000 mile mark. Castrol Syntec did better. I then switched to Royal Purple and one of the better oil filters (dissected on this forum by one awesome dude) - My "intuition oil reminder" tells me to change the oil when the engine feels rough, regardless of the mileage. I believe there is a difference in the filters as well according to this "reminder system"- The Mobil One filter seems to be better than the Napa Gold, though it seems to require more oil because of its larger dead space. I am not concerned about dealer fear or lab analysis. I go with my perceptions of engine roughnness. I haven't confirmed that the oil analysis will match my perception but from past experience with other perceptions about other realities, I would go with my intuition regarding the interval for oil changes.

Jay

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
correction

Make sure you use a Wix or Purolator filter and never use a basic junk fram filter. The only Fram to use is the Fram XG (Xtended Guard) which is the one i use seeing it uses synthetic fiber media and a nice silicon anti-drainback valve which keeps the oil from draining back down into the oil pan. The ADBV keep oil in the top end seeing it will be there for instant lubrication when you start the engine up.
Essentially killing any startup clatter.
I guess some are ignorant about the meaning of ignorant.:biggrin: just kiddin'

You may wish to note that the filter mounting in our cars makes an anti-drainback valve redundant, and will have absolutely no effect on startup clatter. Now don't be ignorant!

And to those who change their oil often, are you filling the filter first? Otherwise you will be running your engine with no oil pressure for several seconds while it fills the filter!

As a regular Blackstone client, I recommend oil analysis to anyone as a great way to learn more and get the facts about oil changes.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Here are a few rambling thoughts re: oil changes on the 300 C that I have owned for 3 years now.

I am one of those who changed the oil at 300 miles and continue to change synthetic (Royal Purple) at 3500 miles or so. I can distinctly feel the engine getting rougher at around that mileage. I tried Mobil one at first, then changed to Castrol Syntec when Mobil One felt rough around the 3000 mile mark. Castrol Syntec did better. I then switched to Royal Purple and one of the better oil filters (dissected on this forum by one awesome dude) - My "intuition oil reminder" tells me to change the oil when the engine feels rough, regardless of the mileage. I believe there is a difference in the filters as well according to this "reminder system"- The Mobil One filter seems to be better than the Napa Gold, though it seems to require more oil because of its larger dead space. I am not concerned about dealer fear or lab analysis. I go with my perceptions of engine roughnness. I haven't confirmed that the oil analysis will match my perception but from past experience with other perceptions about other realities, I would go with my intuition regarding the interval for oil changes.

Jay
Sorry, but there is NO WAY you can feel oil making your engine run rougher at 3500miles especially with Royal Purple.

That is just you psycing yourself out when it gets up over 3000miles and starting to micro-detect anything that even at 5miles on the oil you would pawn off as something else.

I run my 300C for 5500miles and the only reason I change the oil is because of mileage, not the engine roughness.

If you are going to change the oil so frequently, then use conventional oil. The real benefit of synthetic is longer change intervals and if you need to feel all comfy in changing it so frequently, then save you money and use standard oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts