761 - 780 of 805 Posts

· Premium Member
1,372 Posts

· Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Thanks again vyper ... but web site is not applicable for down-under.::crying::

kind regards

Lobbster
I'm sure there has to be an equivalent FCA/Chrysler for vehicles in the EU/Middle East/Australia, in order to update your maps.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey there peeps.

I've recently purchased a 2014 300C and have been looking for how to update the maps and after some searching came across this useful forum.

However I also upgraded the radio firmware to:UCONNECT_8.4_RADIO_16.21.D7_MY14_LD_LX
Am I correct in thinking it is now impossible to downgrade the firmware or update the maps?

Thanks muchly

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi andyV
I believe you can go back to CTP13 for the update.
I can only speak to what i have done on my Fiat Fremont 2014.
i have gone back from the CTP17 (7.09) and uconnect currently on the Radio 16.21 update and just upgraded to the 2019.2 latest maps with no issues at all.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Renits

· Registered
730 Posts
I do know that you cannot update maps in 2014 300 garmin units. I am told that 2013 was the last year you could do that. Also, 2013s that updated to CTP 2014 lost the ability to upgrade maps but regained it when downgraded back to CTP 2013. I do not know if 2014s can downgrade to 2013. Somehow I doubt it because the radio is different going from 2013 to 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi
Yes i have downgraded my 2014 model to CTP13 (4.08) and then did the latest map update, then upgraded it back to CTP17 (7.09) all worked fine.
I can only confirm that my 2014 Fremont U connect 8.4 model can do this,I dont know about the earlier models.
Cheers
Renits

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys,
Sorry if I'm going over old ground here but I have a few questions :
1/ I have a 2013 model ( Diesel ) and am in desperate need of map upgrades. Where do I get the maps from and how easy is it to do........if you talk too much computer jargon like my kids do, I'll zone out, so much appreciated if you can keep it simple.
2/ I bought a new iPhone and I went to Bluetooth it to the car and it says "Hands Free System Loading...Please Wait".....well that was a week ago and I'm still waiting !! I can't get out of this screen.....Any ideas ??? I even tried to removed the No 1 Relay / Fuse but no joy.

Thanks for ready

Cheers
Ian

· Registered
730 Posts
Ian,
2, cant help you with this one.
1, I see you are from Down Under so not sure if similar to us here in US, but the ‘free’ way here to update maps for 2013 if equipped with the Garmin nav unit is to use a mobile Garmin navigator to download the latast maps via computer. Of course you have to find and buy this older unit but then you have free lifetime map updates. Only certain models will work and the process is chock-full of computer jargon, third-party programs to extract the data, writing data to USB with multiple steps, USB thumb drives that sometimes work sometimes dont, etc. Some users said it went flawlessly, some had issues, some “bricked” their radio. Read a lot up on these forums. I went as far as buying the Garmin, but never had the guts to go through with it. Then I ended up trading in and buying a 2017. You can always go through Chrysler and buy the update disk for $150-$200 and get maps that are 1 to 3 years old! I did that with my 2006 and swore I would never do it again.

· Registered
12 Posts
I actually went to the dealership and they wanted $190 for the update. The reason why I didn't get it was they said they had never done one before so my confidence in them was not over whelming !!!
Thanks for the response !!! I'll keep reading.
Cheers
Ian

· Registered
88 Posts
Hi folks, picked up a 2013 C Luxury today. It's lush.

Seems the bluetooth is fried so I'm hoping to get that sorted.

I would love to get the latest maps, I have had a brief read through these pages and it appears that they can home updated. Where can I find these files? I went to the Garmin site, entered my unit ID and was instructed to see my dealer.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated!
Cheers, Stefan.

· Registered
730 Posts
I know its a long read in this forum of 772 posts, but I think all the instructions you need are in here somewhere. From memory, the instructions for Aus/NZ are different from US.

· Registered
88 Posts
I've had a decent read through this now, it seems I need the City Navigator unlocked file. And to reflash my system back to CTP13.

I can't locate City Navigator unlocked files anywhere. Searched the web and it seems all downloadable content on this thread is now invalid.

Still searching.
Stef.

· Registered
730 Posts
Yeah, that could be a problem. Garmin and Chrysler have probably gone after those folks that have those programs that jailbreak or unlock their map files. Just guessing.

For US in short, (from memory) one had to own one of three or four particular Garmin navigator units with free lifetime map updates; download the maps from computer into the Garmin; ensure it is working properly; extract out those files onto computer; download an Unlocker program; unlock the map files; clear Uconnect of ALL nav files; transfer only certain files to usb drive and update the Garmin navigation system in Uconnect; ensure it is kind of working; only then transfer over the remaining files for POI, options, voice, etc. Oh, the map file transfer takes an hour or more and the car power must be on the whole time. If you get any kind of error message, then restart from scratch. Plus, I read a few folks ‘bricked’ their radio which meant a trip to dealer.

For some, the process went beautifully and they have updated their Uconnect nav many times. I just never had the balls to do it for only a few map improvements in my usual driving area. I suppose if I travelled a lot to unknown places then I would have chanced it. But the newer cars now (like my ‘17 300C) with Apple Carplay and Android Auto have essentially killed the need for in-dash navigation. Plus Apple just released new Maps app and is (supposedly) better than ever. I still just use Waze or Google Maps with Carplay. They work great, are free, and occasionly maps are updated.

· Registered
88 Posts
I'm getting closer, spent a couple of hours last night reading, searching, reading, searching.

I have some 18-19 maps on their way from somebody they are apparently unlocked. I, like you do worry a little that the whole thing could go awry. I won't do anything yet except plug the USB in and check if it's at least readable.

I have to downgrade my firmware to CTP13 due to security being tightened on newer versions... I'm still to get definite info as to that process. The reading, searching, reading continues.

Stef.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm getting closer, spent a couple of hours last night reading, searching, reading, searching.

I have some 18-19 maps on their way from somebody they are apparently unlocked. I, like you do worry a little that the whole thing could go awry. I won't do anything yet except plug the USB in and check if it's at least readable.

I have to downgrade my firmware to CTP13 due to security being tightened on newer versions... I'm still to get definite info as to that process. The reading, searching, reading continues.

Stef.
Hey StefanNowak.
I believe you need to show system and hidden files on your computer when viewing the connected garmin device files. You're looking for the .System folder. Inside is where the goodies are. I'm at work so can't wait to get home tonight and find them myself. I just bought a Garmin Drive 51LM so think I'm the first with this device only coz it was cheap and 2nd hand Nuvi's are scarce or not local.
Check out this detailed link from our US Charger brothers;

· Registered
88 Posts
Hey Max, I've been reading that exact post about this, it's very informative. I have the CTP13 file ready to go and the process seems quite easy.

My hangup is when I receive the maps, I'm not sure if I can unlock them as I'm on a mac and the garmin app appears to be PC only.

Stef.

· Registered
24 Posts
Hey Max, I've been reading that exact post about this, it's very informative. I have the CTP13 file ready to go and the process seems quite easy.

My hangup is when I receive the maps, I'm not sure if I can unlock them as I'm on a mac and the garmin app appears to be PC only.

Stef.
Good luck with the CTP13 downgrade. I did it the other day from CTP16. Had a few minutes of sheer terror when it finished and I tried it out and saw a white map screen with a blue border that said maps. Kept my cool and just did the upload of CTP13 again followed by the user data restore and all was well. Used the file from the Charger site.
I noticed that its a little slower coming up now compared to the CTP16. That's what upgrade of firmware does I guess. Oh and the compass died but comes up although wrong after a few car starts and then a few more before it rights itself.
You might have to borrow a mate's windows if your Mac doesn't work.

761 - 780 of 805 Posts