Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone wants to keep their Car in top condition, but if you drive it everyday, like most of us it is subjected to all kinds of contaminants.

Biggest complaint I've heard is "how to get out surface scratches". First lets talk about how they got there. Most of time its from improper washing/drying. When the car is not prepped properly, all you do is work existing dirt into the finish.

The clay bar is the best solution to ensure proper cleaning BEFORE you polish/seal. Most people never heard of clay, and if they have they don't know how to use it. After you wash your car, before you dry, feel it with your hand.

A simple test is to put your hand in a plastic baggie and gently move across the finish, if it grabs a little, you have fine particles of dirt that you did not remove while washing. HOW TO USE CLAY. First get yourself a fresh bucket of soapy water. break off a small piece of clay in your hand, (clay works best with lots of lubrication) lather a small section of your car, dip the clay on the water, spray the clay with quick detail spray, gently work the clay in a side to side motion. (don't press to hard, it works well with gently pressure)

After 4-4 strokes, spray again, lather, and do another section. Keep dipping clay in bucket, keep spraying with QD, work side to side. You will see (and feel) the finish getting cleaner, your hand will start to get the hang of it (if the surface gums up, it is not lubricated enough).

Once you get it down, its easy. The key is lubrication, gentle side to side motion. also, after a few sections, press the clay in your hand in and out, making a fresh surface. It looks and feels like play dough, so you can make a new surface by working it.

One piece will do the whole car. IF YOU DROP THE CLAY THROW IT OUT, USE A NEW PIECE! It will pick up dirt from the ground and become a hazard, working like sandpaper. after you do the whole car, wash car again to remove clay residue, dry with large waffle weave micro fiber towel found on my web site. Follow up with my paint cleaner and sealant. Your finish will be show car ready. Gary wwwperfectautofinish.com

·
Banned
16 Posts
oh man.. i used to have a detailing company when i was a teenager... that shit takes forever to do and your fingers kill ya when you're done!

works and comes out great though... especially if your car has been subject to paint overspray

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've heard of 'clay lube' but never 'quick detail spray.'
Am I committing a heinous crime by not using either and leaving the job to soapy water??

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ella, soapy water works fine. I tell poeple to over lubricate when they use clay, exspecially if it is their first time. Gary /quick detail spray/ my spray and shine and clay lub are all the same. Gary

Ella C SRT said:
I've heard of 'clay lube' but never 'quick detail spray.'
Am I committing a heinous crime by not using either and leaving the job to soapy water??

·
Administrator
23,435 Posts
turbomangt said:
One piece will do the whole car. IF YOU DROP THE CLAY THROW IT OUT, USE A NEW PIECE!
Hi Gary:

Well I dropped the clay about 3/4 into my job, but resisted the urge to reuse it. I had another piece to my good fortune. Does the clay come in larger pieces. I'm thinking about doing my truck, but I have a feeling the size I got from you would be too small. It's got a hard tonneau cover and that's a lot of surface area with that and the body.

Rambit

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rambit, that is the standard size clay bar, I can do 4 cars with that one piece. all you have to do as keep pullling it and stretching it and folding it. Gary

·
Administrator
23,435 Posts
turbomangt said:
Rambit, that is the standard size clay bar, I can do 4 cars with that one piece. all you have to do as keep pullling it and stretching it and folding it. Gary
Thanks Gary. I tried to keep it about the same size. Maybe that's why I dropped it. Does it come in different abrasiveness types? I noticed the Mother's one felt smoother and more plastic to me.

Rambit

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, clay does come in basically 3 grades/ aggessive/med/fine. Mine is the Med. If the Meguiars clay is white, I didn't like it when I used it several years ago. Didn't seem to work as smooth as I would like. Maybe they changed the formulation since then. not sure. Gary

70GT6 said:
As long as you brought this up - I have some of the Meguaires clay "aggressive" type. Had to buy this from the Katrina benefit auction.

Any difference when using this?

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Gary

Can you use Clay over freshly painted striping that has not been clear coated?
Craig had his Charger done but the car needs to be clayed rail dust all over it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric, I'd be carfull around it until it cures properly, tell him to go ahead and clay just try to work around the stripe. Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts